Author Topic: Roofing material  (Read 5928 times)

dogmush

• friend
Roofing material
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
My rental house needs a new roof.

The roofer is pimping metal roofing over shingles for the added lifespan.  In FL 15-20 years is the lifespan of a shingle roof, so it's possible I would have to do this again before sale.  A metal roof lasts, apparently, "Pretty much forever".

Cost difference is negligible.

I have heard however that metal roofs are louder inside in a rain storm and less aesthetic.

WHat says the brain trust?  Anyone ever lived under a metal roof?  Is it loud?  I was quoted a 5v metal roof, so no fake tiles or anything.  If you were looking to rent, would a metal roof be a turn-off?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Roofing material
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
When I redid my rentals, I just went with 40 year composite, partly because in the area where they are, I've never even seen metal roofs (though I've seen plenty in my travels in states North of here). This site seems to have a quick and dirty rundown on comparisons:

http://www.qualitysmith.com/request/article/metal-roofing-vs-composite-roofing/

If accurate, I would worry about the issue of finding skilled repairmen. This site does seem to indicate the roofing is louder in the rain. For a rental, I might stick with composite just for keeping tenants and for resale value. My modus operandi with my rentals has always been to not cheap out, nor go expensive. I like decent quality stuff that is "standard" so they are easier to rent and stuff is easier to replace (e.g., white paint inside, earth tone flooring, basic appliances, etc.). If a metal roof could be seen as not popular (I don't know), I would shy away from it on a rental.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
Were I to build a new house, I would install a metal roof.  I would prefer standing seam to 5v, but I would not sneeze at 5v.  Especially if painted white to reduce attic heat.

Yeah, a little louder. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
Yeah, the "not popular" effect is what has me hesitating.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Interesting.Asphalt shingles are now "composite roofing".

My roof was replaced in December 2010.At that time a metal roof using big box store materials(Menards & etc.)was 40% more $ than shingles.The roofers I got quotes from told me the same thing,a "real" metal roof was double the cost of shingles(heavier gauge metal and more durable finish).As to the noise?There are insulations that can lessen the noise.

Around here(West Michigan) a raised rib metal roof would be seen as a definite upgrade.

I went with shingles.
jeff w

I like onions!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
Shingles have gone up in price big time in last 2-3 years. I am considering metal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
That's what I gather (that shingles have gone up).

It's a 7.5% difference to go with metal on this quote.  I've asked some questions about the materials they plan on using but I don't have a lot of detail on the metal yet.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »
I see metal roofs on the other side of the Cascades a fair amount, usually on the steeply-pitched roofs, and apparently the snow slides right off.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
jeff w

I like onions!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
I lived under a metal roof for the first 21 years of my life. Big Victorian with a standing seam roof that had been installed in the 1920s.

It was maybe a bit louder, but nothing that would drive you nuts. With proper attic insulation, you'll probably never notice.

If I were looking to rent, a metal roof would be no detraction.

If I were looking to buy, it would be a significant positive.

If you're looking at metal roofing, go with a company with a track record of installing, repairing, and maintaining metal roofing.

As the article says, thicker is better because it's more resistant to hail damage.

If you live in a snow area, you'll want ice eagles or snow guards. Don't buy into the theory that a metal roof will shed snow as quickly as it falls. On a standard pitch roof it won't, and when it breaks loose it can take out spouting and do significant damage on the way down.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:18:06 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
A metal roof lasts, apparently, "Pretty much forever".

Barring big hail or hurricanes, the worst that can happen is screws working themselves loose or the little rubber grommets on them deteriorating.  Either is easily fixed with a screwgun and $40 worth of new screws.

I have heard however that metal roofs are louder inside in a rain storm and less aesthetic.

Over decent decking, it's a pleasant white noise, and really quiet compared to, say, having an undecked metal-roof carport right next to the house.

We build all our sheeted ground mount structures with Central State R-panel, and they hold up great until the 120+ mph sustained winds or tornadoes hit, but then, nothing else except reinforced concrete stands up to those either.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
My grandfather has a metal roof.  Increased noise is easily handled with proper insulation under it.  That even reduced utility costs, so a bonus there.

Personally I'd consider a metal roof a positive because of it's longer lifespan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
My grandfather has a metal roof.  Increased noise is easily handled with proper insulation under it.  That even reduced utility costs, so a bonus there.

Light color compared to comp shingle probably does more for your utility bills during the summer than the insulation.

You can also do the metal on top of the shingles if the decking is in good shape.  New underlayment right on the shingles, then battens if the specific profile requires them, then screw the metal down.  Your shingles basically become a very thin extra insulation layer.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
Done right, metal is a big plus IMO.

I've lived in some crappy houses where the old metal roof was the only thing not gone to *expletive deleted*it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
When I lived in TX, people were becoming more open minded about metal roofs due to the heat.  Even in the nicer neighborhoods, there was sort of a tipping point where once people weren't going to be the first metal roof in the neighborhood, they would pop up left and right. I have to say the white metal roof on brick ranch house looks a bit odd but with the summer heat and semiannual roof-killing hailstorms, it just makes sense.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
I had a couple of friends who lived in the "Married Housing" Quonset Huts on the Boulder University of Colorado campus.  (Before they put up the new buildings.)

Yeah, they were noisy in the rain and hail.

Also hot.

One friend put an oscillating lawn sprinkler up on his roof to cool it off, and it was really weird to hear the water stream "walking" back and forth across the roof.  Very distracting.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:01:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
if the roof needs furring strips it will make the noise from rain louder than if it is laid directly on the decking with tar paper underneath.  also, white is the only color that will seem any cooler in the south.  i've always wondered if using a double furring (one set of strips laid vertically on the roof with the second set horizontal) setup would allow more heat to escape if room was left for the air to pass through from top to bottom?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
This roof had (and will continue to have, plywood decking and an underlayment.  Then either single or metal.  I've emailed to get more details about the metal in question.  Thickness,  color options,  coatings and the like.

The quote is for 5V.  I'd probably prefer standing seam for the looks,  but I don't know how much more that would cost.  The quoted shingles are GAF timberline dimensional.  So pretty decent. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
5V roofing looks too barn-like for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
5V roofing looks too barn-like for me.

Me too. Been looking at pictures all weekend.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
I'm an aging architect and building inspector, and until this thread I had never heard of 5V roofing. Just looked at the manufacturer's web site. Looks to me like it's a product intended for unoccupied utility and storage buildings, despite their claims that homeowners are now embracing it.

Three thickness available: "Utility" (gauge not specified), 29 gauge (tin foil), and 26 gauge (still awfully thin, and would certainly want to be on solid sheathing).

I'm astonished that the warranty for paint is 15 years longer than the warranty for the galvalume version. That just ain't right. Unless the paint is on top of the galvalume coating.

To get a feel for thickness, go to any Lowe's or Home Depot. In the Hardware/Fasteners department, typically at the back end of the aisle, they have a rack with lengths of steel angle and tubing. Usually they also have small-ish sheets of steel, typically in two gauges.

This site may be helpful: http://www.steelroofing.com/

Also:  http://www.metalroofing.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:51:31 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
You could always go with metal shingles. I've seen some metal shingled roofs that look so much like slate it's not even funny.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 12:04:40 PM »
Hawk, this isn't the same stuff that is in Home Depot. 5V is the designation for that particular crimp pattern.  I'm pretty sure that the stuff they are trying to sell me is steel with a baked on paint. But am still waiting on the specifics.  It does look like a shed roof however.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
I think he was saying to to Home Depot to check out the thicknesses, 29, 24, etc., gauge.

If you're in a hail prone area, thicker is always better. According to the website, this is installed on a solid substrate, and can be installed over shingles. I personally don't like that approach. I am a firm believer that a complete tear off is ALWAYS the best approach because it allows you to assess the condition of the decking from both sides.

One thing that's not been mentioned about sheet metal roofing -- leaks from ice damming are almost always 100% eliminated. I would suspect that that would not be the case for metal shingles, though.