Author Topic: Roofing material  (Read 5932 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Roofing material
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
5V roofing looks too barn-like for me.

I prefer 5v looks to that of asphalt shingles.  

But I also prefer an old-school corrugated metal roof to asphalt shingles.

The 5v looks more domesticated and delicate by comparison.

The raised/standing rib looks even better.

Three-tab asphalt is just the basic of the basic in my eyes.

Arch grade asphalt looks to me like a set of spinner rims with no added functionality over three tab.

Three-tab vs Arch.

Someone mention a shed?

You could always go with metal shingles. I've seen some metal shingled roofs that look so much like slate it's not even funny.

Have not seen these close up.  I wounder how the installation would differ from asphalt?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
I think I'm going to ask for a quote on standing joint. Also it'll depend on available colors.  I'm not feeling galvanized add a color.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
if the roof needs furring strips it will make the noise from rain louder than if it is laid directly on the decking with tar paper underneath.  also, white is the only color that will seem any cooler in the south.

Galvalume is much cheaper than white and just as cool.  As for noise, granddad's R-panel was installed straight on felt over the existing shingles without any furring strips.  The place I'm currently in has metal over tar paper over decking.  Both are much quieter than straight metal over purlin, and certainly not too loud to have a normal conversation under even in a heavy rain.

But I also prefer an old-school corrugated metal roof to asphalt shingles.

Biggest problem with C-panel (plain corrugated) is the fastener location; there aren't any flat spots for the washers to set properly against, and the holes are in the bottom of the narrow channels that water will run down.  Pretty much every other profile avoids that by having wide flats to aid proper seating of the seal washers and give the water an easy route around the screw.

R-panel is popular (and therefore common and cheap) because it matches C-panel's longitudinal stiffness (5' undecked free spans between purlins for most brands) while eliminating the leakage issues, plus just generally looking a lot better.  Since it also works fine over decking, it's by far the most popular metal roof (and wall in many cases) profile around here.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Hawk, this isn't the same stuff that is in Home Depot. 5V is the designation for that particular crimp pattern.  I'm pretty sure that the stuff they are trying to sell me is steel with a baked on paint. But am still waiting on the specifics.  It does look like a shed roof however.

I understand that. I suggested Home Depot or Lowe's as a way to get a sense of the metal thickness before buying and crying.

As it happens, I just came back from a trip to Lowe's and, with this thread in mind, I stopped by the miscellaneous metal rack to look at the steel sheets. I would say 26-gauge is probably minimally acceptable, although I doubt very much that it would resist denting from hail. 29-gauge, IMHO, is too thin to even consider, except for a shed or outbuilding.

If I were doing a metal roof, I'd go for one of the fake standing seam roofs with the concealed hold-down clips. The system you're looking at uses exposed screws with rubber washers to seal the holes. The roof panels may last for 25 or 40 years, but you can be sure the rubber gaskets won't.

If you are considering putting the metal directly over the existing shingle roof, be sure you know what's already there. The building code that's used just about everywhere in the country prohibits more than two layers of roofing. If you already have two layers, at least one will have to come off before the new roof can be installed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:00:43 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
"The system you're looking at uses exposed screws with rubber washers to seal the holes. The roof panels may last for 25 or 40 years, but you can be sure the rubber gaskets won't."

New washer materials (including teflon and neoprene) have amazing durability when installed properly and coated with the proper paints, otherwise the system would have long ago fallen out of favor because of endless leaks. Even the old rubber washer systems could remain leak free for decades as long as they were installed properly, coated with mastic, and then painted.

That said, I'd MUCH rather have a standing seam installation that uses either lapped flanges or clips.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
That said, I'd MUCH rather have a standing seam installation that uses either lapped flanges or clips.

Price difference there can be a huge factor, as well as the installation quality. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »
No such thing as a free lunch, is there?

I'd rather pay the extra money and have a seamed roof with concealed fasteners than have the look of a roof full of screw/nail heads and the MUCH higher potential of leakage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
I'd rather pay the extra money and have a seamed roof with concealed fasteners than have the look of a roof full of screw/nail heads and the MUCH higher potential of leakage.

Problem is, you can still end up paying full price for a crap installation from a roofer that will disappear long before your first problem shows up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
Problem is, you can still end up paying full price for a crap installation from a roofer that will disappear long before your first problem shows up.

Which is true of anything in life, from cars to groceries to an entire home. Noting is guaranteed 100%

That's why you do your research up front and pick a known roofer with experience putting these things up.