Author Topic: Micro 4/3 camera systems  (Read 4753 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Micro 4/3 camera systems
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »
I think Amazon may have sold me a "gray market" lens.  I have contacted them and Panasonic, and awaiting their replies.  The lens came in a plain white box with no logo, just a computer-printed barcode label.  The instruction manual, lens bag, and warranty card were missing.  (the warranty card is the big flag, IMHO)  The lens was protected by kind of a Tyvek slightly-padded bag that was rolling around loose in the box.  The lens hood was in a plastic bag.  Both seem to be fine.  I'm not going to get too upset about it for a $135 lens like I would the camera or a $900 lens.

I'm having fun trying to figure out the camera features.  I took a handheld picture in dim light at (I think) 1/5 second shutter speed and ASA 1000 (or do we call it ISO now?) and it looked sharp on the little display on the back of the camera.  I haven't tried blowing it up and looking at the pixels.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:35:13 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »
It just occurred to me that you bought the lens separately from the camera (the fact that it's a Panny lens should have been a clue!).  I'd send it back and buy one on the used market.  I recently sold my version of that lens for $40.  They're inexpensive and everywhere.  Better yet, get the Panny 12-32 that comes with the new GM1.  Not only is that lens better, it is much smaller.  Expensive though at around $300.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
The camera wasn't sold with the lens, I bought them separately because I wanted the Panny lens, and it cost the same or less as a camera + Oly 14-42 combo.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
Camera bags have gotten expensive.   :'(   I wonder if a padded lunchbox would work, plus it wouldn't scream "EXPENSIVE CAMERA STUFF!"  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LL-Bean-Insulated-School-Work-Travel-Lunch-Box-Bag-Used-/111410447553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f09484c1

I'd have to make some dividers for it.

I also found an ugly old binoculars case with stains on the leather that looked promising, but don't know if it's wide enough.

I may have to check out the Dollar Store...  And Goodwill...
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »
I use a Maxpedition shoulder bag.  Works as a camera bag and is my "possibles" bag when I go hunting.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
Diaper bag is even more "stealth". Not necessarily cheap though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 01:52:45 AM »
Diaper bag is even more "stealth". Not necessarily cheap though.

Wandering around with a diaper bag and no kid might get you looked at funny, though...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
I bought a Subzero lunch tote yesterday at The Salvation Army thrift store.  Fifty cents. :)  It needs a good washing, then I should probably line it with some 1/2" foam and some fake velvet.  Maybe put in some dividers.

Here's my first pic that doesn't totally suck:  https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xbDjtjGH1USNE4NLFq_9tUcmhr-b9LYMO48mdpN-CnI?feat=directlink

Papa eagle (or maybe it's Mama) and fledgling, taken next to the Zumbro River in Minnesota.  The nest is to the right.  I used a M.Zuiko 40-150 zoom lens, set at 150mm.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
I bought a Subzero lunch tote yesterday at The Salvation Army thrift store.  Fifty cents. :)  It needs a good washing, then I should probably line it with some 1/2" foam and some fake velvet.  Maybe put in some dividers.

I had a cheap SLR bag with a bad zipper.  I cut the top flap off and dropped the rest in a lime green dollar store insulated lunch bag, and it was a near perfect fit.  Carried that thing all over the place, and it really seemed to do a better job of keeping the camera cool in Texas summer than any of the solid black camera bags on the market.  As a bonus, it was pretty water resistant; it could leak at the zipper, but the rest of the bag had a plastic liner and fairly dense nylon on the outside, so it would take a hell of a rain to get more than a drop or two into the bag.