Author Topic: America in Color 1939-1943  (Read 3170 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: America in Color 1939-1943
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
A device employed by men with measurable testosterone levels, you coxcomb! :P

Stop making me look up words you use that I don't know!  :laugh:

Besides, by the definition, wouldn't the guy with the comb be the coxcomb? I have no hair to preen. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Stop making me look up words you use that I don't know!  :laugh:

Besides, by the definition, wouldn't the guy with the comb be the coxcomb? I have no hair to preen. :P  =D

It's also a synonym of jackanapes. Look it up. =D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »

This stuff was cheap, and it was widely available. My guess is that's what you're seeing, not house paint.

Listen, you young whippersnapper!  You need to hear more stories of how hard your grandparents - or in your case probably your great-grandparents - had it back in the day.

A quarter would buy enough food for a family of 4 for a week - uphill both ways in snow 10 feet deep!

Dear old dad repeatedly told me he joined the ROTC not so much because they paid his college tuition but so that he would have clothes to wear.  And how as a soda jerk he practically lived off of a free cup of hot water, free saltine crackers, and free catsup.  Mom's stories of the Depression in Great Britain were even more pitiful and frightening.  At least with her family full of horse theives they didn't need to pinch the pennies they didn't have quite as hard.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Tractors are green and yellow.Your great aunt painted her nails like that?

Great granddad bought mostly Allis Chalmers or Case, so either Persian Red or Flambeau Red, most likely...or he painted everything to match so he'd know his equipment when he loaned it out.

Of course, this was the same great aunt who complained about having to take steak sandwiches on fresh baked bread for her lunch when the rich kids had potted meat on Wonder bread.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
I loved the pictures of the A20 and the P51. The A20 is one of those seldm seen items along with the P51 with the early canopy. The Brits disliked that canopy and developed the Malcolm hood to replace it. Later came the bubble canopy that is what most people associate with the P51.

bob

at first glance, I thought it was a P40,  given the lack of a bubble canopy.  Interesting.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
During the Depression my Mother's Father had a job with the railroad, and my Father's Father was getting his degree in mechanical engineering, and once he graduated in 1937, almost immediately found a job with the company that employed him until the plant shut down in 1972.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 02:38:32 AM »
Great granddad bought mostly Allis Chalmers or Case, so either Persian Red or Flambeau Red, most likely...or he painted everything to match so he'd know his equipment when he loaned it out.

Of course, this was the same great aunt who complained about having to take steak sandwiches on fresh baked bread for her lunch when the rich kids had potted meat on Wonder bread.

Allis Chalmers used 5 different shades of orange for farm equipment over the life of the company. So that would ha email been Persian orange. #1 (most common prior to 1961), #2 after that date.

The meal scene in the first post brings back lots of memories. I've sat down to eat at spreads not much different. Good wholesome eats. We'd usually use a ladle in the big, ice cold milk jug though. I got in trouble more than once for skimming too much of the cream off the top.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
I concur with everything in this statement except the bolded excerpt. I recently purchased a two-pack of drug store pocket combs. Teeth broke within two weeks. On both combs. In fairness, I then bought a ClipperMate from Amazon which is holding up better.

My mother worked for the company that made Brylcreem. I have a gross or so of their last "give-away" combs. They are apparently made of some polymer and the mix was done exactly right. These things are at least forty years old and show no signs of deterioration. I keep one on the vanity, one in my dopp kit and another in my knapsack HBA kit. I've been using these three for at least 15 years. A scrub with soap, hot water and the fingernail brush keeps 'em clean. I expect I'll have some for the rest of my life.

Russ

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
I wonder if the Caudill's are related to MAJ Caudill (Ret'd) ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.