Author Topic: Math.  (Read 2944 times)

natedog

• friend
Math.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 05:39:12 AM »
I'm considering a biology or chemistry major because both subjects interest me (can't say the same for physics), and I have excelled in them at the high school level (top grade in the class for both). Also, don't you need to be in a science major to go into any of the medical professions?

grislyatoms

• friends
Math.
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 06:14:59 AM »
Trigonometry was the last one I did well in, and was necessary to understanding AC waveforms. (My AAS degree is Electronics Engineering)

I did have some basic calculus, did fair to middlin'. Just give me the bleepin' formulas, I don't care how they were derived!

Couldn't "get into" calculus, but I loved trig. Boolean Algebra was a cakewalk, and I liked it.

It's funny, though, I haven't used an oscilloscope or a logic probe in years. "If error code is L152, replace circuit board X57" is the most I do now. A chimp could do it.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Math.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 02:29:16 PM »
You don't necessarily need to be a science major for a medical profession, but you need a strong background in it. This means lots and lots of coursework which puts you pretty close to making a major out of it anyway. There are plenty of folks who go into medicine with business or math degrees, etc.  Some feel you can do a decent job of setting yourself apart from the pack by majoring in something more secular.

With those goals, if you can handle math and enjoy it, calc II is probably a good level to aim for. If you hate it or don't do well with it, I'd stick with calc I and call it a day.

Best of luck with all your classes-
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Math.
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 03:25:06 AM »
I just went and did a search on Boolean Algebra. I still don't get that stuff although I think trying to not confuse the symbols for and/or is my first stumbling block. I should start back at Algebra I and see how far I can get up through all those different classes. Just for fun. Tongue

My hat is off to all you math wizzes...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

DrAmazon

• friend
Math.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 04:43:51 PM »
4 quarters of calculus.  Always wished I would have taken the diffeq.  Chem majors here take two semesters of calculus with the differential equations VERY recommended.  We find it makes the p-chem go down a bit easier.
Experiment with a chemist!

Art Eatman

• friend
Math.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
I got as far as Diff. Eqns. in my BSME work.  Electives such as nuke physics and a year of power reactor design plus a year of metallurgy.  155 hours, total, for my degree.  

Never really used any of it in my working years.  The good part, though, is that it helped a helluva lot in understanding a lot of what goes on in the world.

The weird part of it all is that I transitioned into Civil Engineering, and learned how to design dams/spillways for reservoir projects, and very-large canals.  This segued into environmental stuff, brain-picking for four years on the bug-and-bunny PhDs.  That segued into political engineering, writing some legislation and working with the Texas Legislature.

Then I dropped out.  My conscience couldn't really cope with the Lege. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Math.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 06:00:46 PM »
Never really used any of it in my working years.  The good part, though, is that it helped a helluva lot in understanding a lot of what goes on in the world.
It did a lot more than that.  You learned how to solve hard problems, or else you wouldn't have gotten through it.

Art Eatman

• friend
Math.
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2006, 04:30:24 AM »
"You learned how to solve hard problems..."

But isn'tthat what school is all about?  And any downgrading of the hardness of the problems:  Doesn't that cheat the student?  School can't be as difficult as life itseownself, after the school daze are over.

I instantly believed in the idea of "Train hard, fight easy" the first time I read that.  But in that sense, war is no  different from football or tennis or IPSC/IDPA or science or engineering.  Or learning a marketable skill.

Don't cheat the student.

Seems like we're doing that...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Math.
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2006, 06:13:57 AM »
HS: AP Calculus BC
College: Calculus, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra and Differential equations.  All garbage I'll never ever use again.

atek3