Author Topic: OLD?  (Read 3174 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: OLD?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »

I had a brace of cap pistols made of "Pot Metal," whatever that is.

Yeah, but you probably had them "new-fangled" kind that used plastic ring caps and not the real-deal paper strips that you could hit with a hammer.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:00:51 AM »
No, they used paper caps.  This would have been the eighties. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »
I preferred the plastic ring caps.  I hated the paper caps. 

You could hit the plastic ring caps with a hammer too.  If your strike was good, you could set off an entire ring at once. Cheesy

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
Paper caps were cool because you could zig zag the whole roll over piercing each little pouch of gunpwoder with a needle and thread till you had this long square looking thing all held together with the thread. Then, although I forget how we used to do it, you could set the whole roll off at once and it was like a firecracker.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 01:10:09 PM »
I think my first decent cap gun was a polished/engraved paper cap revolver that my grandpa bought me when I was real little.  It was one of my favorite toys.  When I was a little older I had one of the plastic ring cap guns - another favorite.  I also had one of those metal dart looking things that you stuck a cap in and threw at a hard surface.  I think somebody probably gave me a toy gun (and maybe some caps) when I was born.  I don't remember not having one.
For entertainment purposes only.

Hazzard

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
Lee COSI is definately a cool place to visit. I've been there several times and it is amazing to me that it is more interesting each time I go.

Yes, we had a phone with rotary dial when I was growing up and we were on a party line. You had to listen for your "ring" to know when to pick up. We also had a black and white TV that only got 2 channels. I still remember the excitement when they brought a 3rd channel on line.

We had no AC, a wood stove for heat, got almost all of our sustenance from the farm, and if we actually went to town more than about once a month it was a treat.

So what did I learn? How to survive. That I really can do without some things. To be happy with what I have. To appreciate things.

Now I have a good job and nice home. But could I go back to the basics? I've done it before and I can do it again if necessary. And guess what. I'm not that old (only 42). I just grew up in rural WV.

woodcdi

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
Remember transistor radios? My first battery powered portable radio had vacuum tubes! I still drink Moxie. My first "calculator" was a slide rule - and what a wonder it was! I soloed in a Fornaire. I not only remember out houses, I relied on several(one still exists). I remember when you could take a shortcut through the woods - alone - at eight years old - at twilight - with no fear.

Anyone remember the first family in your neighborhood to get a TV?

Woody

Look at your rights and freedoms as what would be required to survive and be free as if there were no government. Governments come and go, but your rights live on. If you wish to survive government, you must protect with jealous resolve all the powers that come with your rights - especially with the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Without the power of those arms, you will perish with that government - or at its hand. B.E. Wood 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
No but I remember the first family in my neighborhood to get a COLOR TV.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Myself

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »
Speaking of old, for some unknown reason I found myself singing the Schaffer beer jingle the other day.   rolleyes