Author Topic: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt  (Read 7304 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
More and more churches essentially telling their respective state Governors to stick lockdowns where the sun don't shine.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore-pastor-rips-up-cease-and-desist-letter-mid-sermon-were-gonna-do-it-gods-way

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-new-jersey-gov-reopen-church-service-sunday

Gut is telling me that churches will end up being the figurehead for constitutional (meaning legal) scrutiny of lockdown orders. A banding together of the country's religious populations will make the perceived influence and outcry intensity of the NRA or AARP look look downright inconsequential, comparatively speaking.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:10:43 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »
You're telling me the Bible lobby is going to buy Congress from the NRA?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
You're telling me the Bible lobby is going to buy Congress from the NRA?

Hey, you make a lot of money off the best selling book of all time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
Hey, you make a lot of money off the best selling book of all time.

Low overhead - the KJV's copyright ran out a long time ago.

(Unless you're in the UK. Sorry.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
Low overhead - the KJV's copyright ran out a long time ago.

(Unless you're in the UK. Sorry.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJS51d1Fzg
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:17:22 PM »
Someone allegedly burned down a church in Mississippi, and left a message calling them "hypokrites." I hope the arsonists practiced social distancing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/498994-arson-suspected-in-destruction-of-mississippi-church-that-was-suing-over

If you're going to leave my church a nasty note, at least check your spelling.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »
Someone allegedly burned down a church in Mississippi, and left a message calling them "hypokrites." I hope the arsonists practiced social distancing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/498994-arson-suspected-in-destruction-of-mississippi-church-that-was-suing-over

If you're going to leave my church a nasty note, at least check your spelling.

Oh, no.  The vandals know their Greek.  ὑποκριτής
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »
Oh, no.  The vandals know their Greek.  ὑποκριτής

Very good observation.  Bravo!  (that kinda suggests the pastor, right?)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:58 PM »
I think we have been off church lockdown for close to 3 weeks, most churches around me are self refusing to open. Of course they had already stepped into the 21 century a few years before Covid-19 and were already live streaming Sunday service or at least making DVD recordings to be delivered later that day. We got blizzards and a lot of older people, made sense for them to do this to keep those that can't make it to service to be involved. Even the local TV stations carry Lutheran and Catholic masses on the . (dot) channels on Sunday AM. That was odd for me since I haven't seen a televised Sunday service on over the air TV since I was a kid. We don't have a lot Pentecostal churches here, but we got more Reformed churches than you can shake stick at.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
I have to say, I completely did not expect the Chinese Virus to finally pull off the thin mask and fully expose the hatred the left has for churches.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
I have to say, I completely did not expect the Chinese Virus to finally pull off the thin mask and fully expose the hatred the left has for churches.

I wasn't aware they were ever wearing a mask
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/thousands-of-churches-stand-up-to-democratic-governors-lockdown-orders-we-are-opening-period

I'm glad I took a year off from our church's leadership.  We have been doing online services, and the pastor created a second Facebook page for members only (and regular attenders who act like members.)   I would be very tempted to hold services this weekend out of solidarity with the MN Catholics and LCMSs as much as anything else.  OTOH, much of our congregation is >80 years old and some of them don't have a lot of sense.

I think we're planning to open the doors again in 2 weeks.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 12:48:11 PM »
Bully for these churches. "We must obey God, rather than men." Thank God there are some Americans left.

Just speaking for my own church's experience, I don't feel that our rights were violated. I can't speak for everybody, but I think we wanted to take precautions, and we were willing to limit our crowd size for a while. We were already live-streaming the services, and those of us who were determined to come just kept showing up. We didn't really chafe under that state of things until Easter, and that's when we got our radio transmitter, and started doing drive-in services.  

Also, we don't have communion or baptisms very often (though I'd change that, if I could), so it's easier to hold services virtually. There are plenty of churches that regard communion and baptism as central to their regular services. And though we can put a man on the moon, we can't yet virtually commune or baptize him there.

We're having regular services again, starting this weekend.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 01:49:02 PM »
More and more churches essentially telling their respective state Governors to stick lockdowns where the sun don't shine.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore-pastor-rips-up-cease-and-desist-letter-mid-sermon-were-gonna-do-it-gods-way

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-new-jersey-gov-reopen-church-service-sunday

Gut is telling me that churches will end up being the figurehead for constitutional (meaning legal) scrutiny of lockdown orders. A banding together of the country's religious populations will make the perceived influence and outcry intensity of the NRA or AARP look look downright inconsequential, comparatively speaking.

Brad

Maybe yes, maybe no.

What I'm hearing is that there are churches actually taking the gov't money for non-profits.   Seems unwise.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 01:57:13 PM »
And though we can put a man on the moon, we can't yet virtually commune or baptize him there.

Buzz Aldrin took communion on the moon.

Just some random trivia for your there.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
Trump just declared churches as essential.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
Trump just declared churches as essential.

He just guaranteed a lot of people to show up in November.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »

That's fascinating.  Got a link for full details of how that worked?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
He just guaranteed a lot of people to show up in November.
=D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »
That's fascinating.  Got a link for full details of how that worked?

https://www.history.com/news/buzz-aldrin-communion-apollo-11-nasa

I have a problem with the "and NASA kept it a secret" considering I read it in the 1970 edition of "First On the Moon".

They didn't publicize it like earlier events, but it wasn't exactly secret either. (The article goes into it, but it has a clickbait headline.)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
Thank you, mak.

I was wondering if it was Catholic or not, seeing it was Presbyterian makes more sense, though the article does mention three astronauts later taking communion on Endeavor.  I was wondering how sacrament would be stored on the shuttle or administered in that context and evidently it was administered by a lay Catholic eucharistic minister who just happened to also be an astronaut.  Evolutions of dogma are fascinating to me, and I wonder at religion's capacity to exist as humans push past Earth and how it will change. 

I expect that exceptions to dogma will be provided for faith members that push human frontiers like this.  When SpaceX sends people on the possible 1-way voyage to Mars in the next 10-ish years to hopefully build a fuel plant to enable return, how many might be Catholic or Muslim?  How will they cope with the lack of clergy or the need to pray to Mecca?  Can confession and absolution be done over email or the DSN?  Last rites?

It's thread veer, I admit.  But I find it interesting.
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 05:25:21 PM »

Funny thing is, I actually read/heard about that a couple of times in the last several months. Now I feel even dumber than if I'd never heard about it.