Author Topic: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt  (Read 7304 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
Most churches have abandoned sound doctrine and are pretty feminized, just too nice and unoffensive.

Looking for leadership from most of them in the USA is a fools errand, unless you want to be a leftist.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »
Most churches have abandoned sound doctrine and are pretty feminized, just too nice and unoffensive.

Looking for leadership from most of them in the USA is a fools errand, unless you want to be a leftist.

Um, who's expecting anything from those churches, other than BLM signs and rainbow banners?  ???

I don't think anyone's expecting this to come from the kind of "churches" you're talking about.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
Um, who's expecting anything from those churches, other than BLM signs and rainbow banners?  ???

I don't think anyone's expecting this to come from the kind of "churches" you're talking about.

Large swaths of the Evangelical world are trending that direction, it's not just the old dead mainline denominations.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Large swaths of the Evangelical world are trending that direction, it's not just the old dead mainline denominations.

Since evangelicalism picks up on trends when they're tailing off elsewhere, that's maybe a good thing.

(Kidding.  )
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:18 PM »

Denomination (or not) is irrelevant to the point at hand. Let's make this really simple. We're talking about the possibility that churches will buck the prevailing trend, and push back on lock-down. For what it's worth, I'm not so sure churches are doing that any more than gyms and bars and all those people flocking to the beaches and parks. But that was the OP's contention. Do you really think the OP was talking about the rainbow-colored churches that are eagerly following along with whatever elite opinion tells them is right? Do you think he was expecting that kind of counter-cultural leadership from churches like that? Those aren't the churches he's talking about.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:18 PM »
Laodicean churches leading the way to any place other than hell is a pipe dream.

They are content to live stream social justice sermons with a sprinkling of "you go girlz" and a side dish of Caucasian self loathing. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »
Laodicean churches leading the way to any place other than hell is a pipe dream.

They are content to live stream social justice sermons with a sprinkling of "you go girlz" and a side dish of Caucasian self loathing. 

We've already agreed on that point.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 06:33:47 AM »
We are months into this, guys. Ron has it completely backwards. The “church“ that has indisputably done the most to lead in the lockdown revolt (darn near revolution) has in fact been the Church of the SJW, not some pure-of-doctrine, uber-faithful Christian sect.

Even if a church were to be approved by Ron as sufficiently righteous (and I’m guessing such a church would have a hard time existing outside his own skull) it has demonstrably done less than SJW rioters when it comes down to opposing the lockdowns.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:07:16 AM by cordex »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 08:11:36 AM »
We are months into this, guys. Ron has it completely backwards. The “church“ that has indisputably done the most to lead in the lockdown revolt (darn near revolution) has in fact been the Church of the SJW, not some pure-of-doctrine, uber-faithful Christian sect.

Even if a church were to be approved by Ron as sufficiently righteous (and I’m guessing such a church would have a hard time existing outside his own skull) it has demonstrably done less than SJW rioters when it comes down to opposing the lockdowns.

I'm just not seeing any difference in the response of Churches as compared to any other institution in America.

After decades of not leading anyone anywhere it is not realistic to look to those churches for leadership now. Churches in the USA always seem to follow whatever the popular trend is and put a "Christian" spin on it.

I'm not looking for a pure or sufficiently righteous church if such an institution even exists. My fellowship is with any follower of Jesus regardless of their affiliation.

Churches as an institution, in America, is a salt that has lost its savor a long time ago. Do you disagree?

The Church of SJW aren't leading the revolt against lockdowns.

They are exempt from the lockdowns that everyone else must obey.

They are taking victory laps.

You just sit and home and watch your services livestream, telling you to be a nice person and not to judge anyone, while the Church of SJW dominate the abandoned field and finish taking control of the country.

I don't consider what I'm saying self righteousness or being judgmental.

I consider it paying attention and not kidding myself.

The local church has a more important function than leading social movements anyway.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:32:45 AM by Ron »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 11:56:25 AM »
I'm just not seeing any difference in the response of Churches as compared to any other institution in America.
Okay, what exactly would you want a non-lukewarm church to do?

Churches as an institution, in America, is a salt that has lost its savor a long time ago. Do you disagree?
I don't think "Churches as an institution" has ever existed in the United States in any unified manner, and I'm not prepared to condemn all churches in that way.  Are you?

The Church of SJW aren't leading the revolt against lockdowns.

They are exempt from the lockdowns that everyone else must obey.
That is not wrong, but by the same token the blatant lack of standards for the rioters (or politician funerals, for that matter) gives lie to the claims that the lockdowns are actually important to the people who issue them.  That undermines the moral authority of such regulations in a way that simple disobedience by people who oppose them could never do.

You just sit and home and watch your services livestream, telling you to be a nice person and not to judge anyone, while the Church of SJW dominate the abandoned field and finish taking control of the country.

I don't consider what I'm saying self righteousness or being judgmental.
... really?

Ron, could you please - in specific and clear words - lay out the correct way for a church, or individual to behave to live up to your expectations?  I'm asking in good faith and hoping to find some common ground: What should we do?  Churches, individuals, political parties, whatever - what specific course would elicit the nod of approval from Ron?  For that matter, what are you, your church, or your like minded followers of Jesus doing?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
FWIW, Ron, I've been physically attending church this whole time, and the content of the sermons is not what you're describing.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »
Okay, what exactly would you want a non-lukewarm church to do?
Well, is a revival too much to ask for?
I don't think "Churches as an institution" has ever existed in the United States in any unified manner, and I'm not prepared to condemn all churches in that way.  Are you? No, I don't doubt there are congregations who are still salty. The influence of Christianity is and has been waning for a long time and in general. "Christians" have been accommodating the left for decades now in the USA. The use of the word institution didn't mean they are a single organization, all of one mind and purpose. It was a catch all phrase for those that call their clubs churches.
That is not wrong, but by the same token the blatant lack of standards for the rioters (or politician funerals, for that matter) gives lie to the claims that the lockdowns are actually important to the people who issue them.  That undermines the moral authority of such regulations in a way that simple disobedience by people who oppose them could never do.
It tells us who is really in charge.
... really?

Ron, could you please - in specific and clear words - lay out the correct way for a church, or individual to behave to live up to your expectations?  I'm asking in good faith and hoping to find some common ground: What should we do?  Churches, individuals, political parties, whatever - what specific course would elicit the nod of approval from Ron?  For that matter, what are you, your church, or your like minded followers of Jesus doing?
I alluded to this in a post above. I've come to the point where I don't think engaging in the culture war through politics is the role of churches. As important as politics feels it's really a distraction from what is really important. The role of the church is to make better Christians. Disciples of Jesus who love each other, love God and follow Gods commandments. If there is an influence on society it is a secondary affect (effect?) of Christians loving and following Gods word. It's a bottom up, organically influencing and changing of minds and hopefully spiritual transformation. Not a top down, seizing control and imposing order on unbelievers. I'm sure there are still a minority of churches in every state operating this way. Fewer and fewer teach separation from the world and actual discipleship though.
Don't mind me, Online I'm just a grouchy Gus these days. Like a pressure relief valve. Aren't you guys lucky?  :lol:

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »
No, I don't doubt there are congregations who are still salty. The influence of Christianity is and has been waning for a long time and in general. "Christians" have been accommodating the left for decades now in the USA.
I agree with both of those points.  The social influence of Christianity has been steadily decreasing and there are a lot of people who claim the title of Christian but do not even attempt to live it.

The use of the word institution didn't mean they are a single organization, all of one mind and purpose. It was a catch all phrase for those that call their clubs churches.
If you intended "Churches as an institution" as a broad catch-all that includes both the good and the bad, and you use a Biblical allusion with the direct implication that the whole group is valueless and should be discarded then I do not agree.  Nor is it at all historically unusual that there's a lot of chaff mixed up with the wheat.

I alluded to this in a post above. I've come to the point where I don't think engaging in the culture war through politics is the role of churches.  As important as politics feels it's really a distraction from what is really important.  The role of the church is to make better Christians. Disciples of Jesus who love each other, love God and follow Gods commandments. If there is an influence on society it is a secondary affect (effect?) of Christians loving and following Gods word. It's a bottom up, organically influencing and changing of minds and hopefully spiritual transformation. Not a top down, seizing control and imposing order on unbelievers. I'm sure there are still churches in every state operating this way.
I would say that this absolutely qualifies as common ground.   =)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2020, 12:07:02 AM »
FWIW, Ron, I've been physically attending church this whole time, and the content of the sermons is not what you're describing.

may I inquire as to what Church do you belong to?

I seem unwelcome at most Churches, and I have Sundays off again - I plan on checking out A.O.G
and the Calvinist as well as the local Nazarene Church.

the last Church I was a part of was a small offshoot of C.O.C ( I think ) - but if I'm not wanted I stop going
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2020, 01:03:09 AM »
I do service for all the churches around me. I'm an atheist but I do service for all of them and am welcomed into any of them.

Some churches don't like you if you are not a regular membe. I.e. My wife's church wouldn't marry us because she had no been a member for a few years.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2020, 01:34:12 AM »
I do service for all the churches around me. I'm an atheist but I do service for all of them and am welcomed into any of them.

Some churches don't like you if you are not a regular membe. I.e. My wife's church wouldn't marry us because she had no been a member for a few years.

There may be another reason for the marriage thing. Our church used to do weddings for non-members, but it led to people doing things or wearing things in the house of God that we (or at least some of us) were pretty convinced God would not approve of. Sometimes it was music, or language people were using, or revealing clothing (oh no! shoulders!) (or probably some other things I have forgotten, or just never heard about). So we just decided we'd better limit wedding ceremonies to church members. If people think of their building as being dedicated to God, it makes things a little different.

Plus, it's one way for churches to protect themselves from being forced to bake cakes.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
 [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2020, 11:14:15 PM »
may I inquire as to what Church do you belong to?

I seem unwelcome at most Churches, and I have Sundays off again - I plan on checking out A.O.G
and the Calvinist as well as the local Nazarene Church.

the last Church I was a part of was a small offshoot of C.O.C ( I think ) - but if I'm not wanted I stop going

I heard there were these things called Cowboy Churches. Do you look like a cowboy?  ;)

They are a much more casual experience from what I've read.

Currently I don't even own any "Sunday Going to meet'n clothes".

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2020, 06:04:57 PM »
I heard there were these things called Cowboy Churches. Do you look like a cowboy?  ;)

They are a much more casual experience from what I've read.

Currently I don't even own any "Sunday Going to meet'n clothes".

I used to look like a cowboy, however its been awhile and I was really more of a ranch hand  - I had the hat and six shooter, but I didn't know how to ride a horse and didn't own any cattle
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »
I used to look like a cowboy, however its been awhile and I was really more of a ranch hand  - I had the hat and six shooter, but I didn't know how to ride a horse and didn't own any cattle

So, literally "all hat and no cattle"?

=D
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »
So, literally "all hat and no cattle"?

=D

heh, yes, quite literally LOL

HankB

• friend
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
Nevada: Casinos are open at 50% capacity. Churches are limited to 50 people.

Solution:  https://www.westernjournal.com/evangelicals-trump-defy-nv-church-restrictions-holding-service-casino/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »
As for race tracks, all the North Carolina ones got letters last week. Not banning races, but no more than 25 people in the stands. Which bans races. Roy Cooper could out idiot Ralph "Coonman" Northam any day.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.