Author Topic: California Electricity Costs  (Read 108 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
California Electricity Costs
« on: May 10, 2024, 06:42:12 PM »
CA is raising it's electricity costs, apparently with a single ~$25 charge for everyone to accommodate infrastructure growth for stuff like electric cars. So from appearances, charging everyone more to help subsidize those who are going to "green energy" and electric vehicles. My electric bill in CA was always around $40/mo, since I lived on the central coast where air conditioning wasn't a thing, and I had a gas heater that rarely came on. So that would be a >50% increase for people that use modest amounts of electricity.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/05/10/california-energy-bill-changes-n2396106
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: California Electricity Costs
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:28:02 AM »
Small price to pay for living in a glorious worker's paradise.

Besides, if someone wants to afford their electric bill, they can get a job flipping hamburgers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:35:54 AM »
That's a surprisingly small electric bill for Cali.  I pay way more than that. 

I wonder what the cost per kwh is.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:41:04 AM »
That's a surprisingly small electric bill for Cali.  I pay way more than that. 

I wonder what the cost per kwh is.

If you're referring to what I posted, that was ten years ago, so it might be closer to $70 now. CA is around $0.40/kwh.

Like I said, living on the coast there, in a condo like I did, and you don't need a lot of electricity. My average bill in Idaho (just for the house) is $100/mo with ~$0.10/kwh.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:43:29 AM »
If you're referring to what I posted, that was ten years ago, so it might be closer to $70 now. CA is around $0.40/kwh.

Ky is a hair over $0.10/kwh
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:57:06 AM »
The politicians have figured out that California residents still have money.

They want it, and are going after it.

What's the old saying? "They've got what it takes to take what you've got."

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:55:45 PM »

That's more what I would expect.  TECO hits me up for $0.12/kwh.  But my AC makes that like $220 per month.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:14:47 PM »
That's more what I would expect.  TECO hits me up for $0.12/kwh.  But my AC makes that like $220 per month.

Going from memory, I think it was like $0.25/kwh for the base when I lived there, but then, like now, CA also has ridiculous "overage" charges for going over a pretty limited base. I recall my parents, who thought 80deg was "cool", would barely run the AC at all in their house in the central valley (where it hovers around 100 most of the Summer), but even that threw them over the baseline, and they regularly had $200-$300 bills through the Summer. I recall some of their neighbors complaining about paying bills more than double that.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:22:09 PM »
Says CA $0.3123 right now
Oddly map and chart show different numbers though

https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/#0-section-copy
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:27:07 PM »
This is what we pay to the Snohomish County PUD:

Residential rates
For electric service to your home, the rate is the total of:

10.263 cents per kilowatt-hour, and
A base charge between 36 cents and $1.37 a day, depending on electric panel size (see rate schedule 7 in the electric rate book for complete details).

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: Today at 01:27:21 PM »
Says CA $0.3123 right now
Oddly map and chart show different numbers though

https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/#0-section-copy

I was on Socal Edison, and this chart gives you a better idea of rates, baselines, etc. It's complicated as there are different baselines by geography and climate.

https://www.sce.com/residential/rates/Standard-Residential-Rate-Plan