Author Topic: Decline and the next dark age?  (Read 52797 times)

drewtam

• friend
Decline and the next dark age?
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »

http://youtu.be/m8PlzDgFQMM

“‘Daddy, is it really true that people used to fly to the Moon when you were a boy?’ It shook me, because that’s how a Dark Age begins.”

Glenn Reynolds links to that youtube Ted talk, and XKCD has a coincidental thought on the same topic. It concerns me that this is how a new dark age begins. Conversely, decline is a choice. In 10years the US and world may face a major crisis. I hope we are able to face my generations' challenges with success.

The Ted talk speak has optimism. And I never realised that rocket economics were so much closer than what I have been told all my life. One more reinforcement to not believe the conventional wisdom until I see the data.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Decline and the next dark age?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Ten years?  I think it's a lot closer than that.  Maybe two years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »
Ten years?  I think it's a lot closer than that.  Maybe two years.

But 2012 is next year. And Harold Camping said we only have another couple of weeks, anyway.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
Hmmm...I forgot about the Camping guy and the Mayans.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
The Ted talk speak has optimism. And I never realised that rocket economics were so much closer than what I have been told all my life. One more reinforcement to not believe the conventional wisdom until I see the data.

SpaceX and other US corporations are humanity's best hope at survival.  On the long time scale, we have two choices as a species.  Spread out across the solar system (and eventually universe), or become extinct. 

NASA has thrown in the towel on space.  They're still consuming billions, but the results are now limited to very low end robots.  Most of our space probes of the last decade could be built by college students while intoxicated.  I know this, because I was one of those drunken college students dorking with robots.  Don't get me wrong, sending robots ahead of humans is very smart as well as cost efficient.  But you know NASA isn't planning any steps after sending the cheap disposable robots.

On the plus side, we have US citizens taking the step forward.  It's in its infancy, but even at its current stage, US citizens have a more significant orbital capacity than 95% of the countries on the planet.  I remarked to MicroBalrog that US satellite radio companies have more of a space presence than his country, which is allegedly quite advanced.

I do not have faith in the US government reaching the stars.  I do have faith in the American people at least putting boots (and drills) on the ground of the Moon, Mars, the belt, Io, and who knows what else.

The idiots are screaming about depleting the world's natural resources.  Actual AMERICANS are saying, "Hey, dude?  Titan has a couple hundred times the amount of liquid hydrocarbons of the entire planet..."   I look forward to the day when Exxon-Mobile is launching insanely giant tanks of oil back at the earth from the other side of the solar system.  It's called a bloody ion drive.  Sure, it takes a while, but that's the point of logistic pipelines.  Doesn't matter if it takes six months or a year for the oil to arrive via ion drives or whatever, if you have a delivery every two weeks. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
 I look forward to the day when Exxon-Mobile is launching insanely giant tanks of oil back at the earth from the other side of the solar system. 

The more I think about this idea, the more I love it. Once we get one of those on the way, just have it leak all its oil somewhere along the way. Then launch the shuttle-loads of enviro-weenies with their reams of paper towels, to soak it all up.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
Space will never happen. Our species is not physically capable of leaving the planet. It's nothing but science fiction. Everything is too far away. So far away it might as well not be there.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
Space will never happen. Our species is not physically capable of leaving the planet. It's nothing but science fiction. Everything is too far away. So far away it might as well not be there.

That's what they said to Columbus  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
Except that what Columbus did was physically possible.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
Well, if leaving the planet is impossible, I submit that we, as a species, self-destruct post haste. It'll happen anyway from some extra-Earth-based disaster, all our eggs in one basket and all...

Truly and utterly believing that humans will never leave Earth is not only foolish, but extraordinarily short sighted.  =|
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:18:02 PM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »

Huh?

Astronauts have lived on MIR and the ISS more than long enough to reach anything in cislunar space, Mars, or the Asteroid belt at least. And we've had the tech to do it since the 1970's. It's been an economic and political problem only.

I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »

And yet what Columbus did was not physically possible only a few centuries before, because the ship technology had not yet advanced far enough to permit direct transoceanic crossings. Why do you find it inconceivable that space craft technology will never advance to the point of allowing interstellar travel?

The Earth is flat.

The Sun and planets revolve around us.

Everything that can be invented, has.

Human flight is a fantasy.

It is impossible to exceed the speed of sound.

Man will never walk on the moon.

Interstellar travel is impossible.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
And yet what Columbus did was not physically possible only a few centuries before, because the ship technology had not yet advanced far enough to permit direct transoceanic crossings.
Well with the exceptions of the vikings and the Chinese, but overall your point still stands.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
The biggest thing of course that makes spaceflight a fantasy is that there's nothing in a vacuum to push off of up there.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »

Exploration of space is physically impossible.
Much as it was once physically impossible for man to travel faster than 60 MPH.
Much as it was once physically impossible for man to fly.

Technology, it's what's next.

And yet what Columbus did was not physically possible only a few centuries before, because the European ship technology had not yet advanced far enough to permit direct transoceanic crossings.

There is enough evidence to consitute reasonable proof that other cultures were capabale of and engaging in transoceanic voyages centuries before Columbus.

Well with the exceptions of the vikings and the Chinese, but overall your point still stands.
as well as Polynesians and possibly Egyptians
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:43:39 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
The biggest thing of course that makes spaceflight a fantasy is that there's nothing in a vacuum to push off of up there.

Ether.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »

Yeah, that's why I said direct transoceanic crossings.  :P

Going straight from Spain to the Caribbean takes a much higher endurance craft than the Ireland-Iceland hop, just like it is going to take a much higher endurance craft to do an Earth to Mars hop, rather than just Earth to Moon.

ETA:

Quote from: I
And yet what Columbus did was not physically possible only a few centuries before, because the European ship technology had not yet advanced far enough to permit direct transoceanic crossings.

Quote from: RoadKingLarry
There is enough evidence to consitute reasonable proof that other cultures were capabale of and engaging in transoceanic voyages centuries before Columbus.

I'll concede that, but off the top of my head I can't recall any others that did direct long-haul oceanic crossings (driving straight across the main bulk of the Atlantic or Pacific). I seem to recall most of them either coast hugging or doing short hops, such as China/Japan, Iceland/Ireland, Transmediterranean.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:47:42 PM by kgbsquirrel »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »

Ether.

I think you mean... "aether".

And anyway, I'm pretty sure Einstein did away with the Newtonian concept of aether. ;)

:lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »
You need very little to push away from nothing.

And who needs to push if your being pulled.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:19 PM »
Space will never happen. Our species is not physically capable of leaving the planet.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »

So, what - they faked the Moon landing?

Not buyin' it.  We *CAN* do it - we CAN get off this rock.  The only question is, WILL we.

We, as a species, have done things firmly understood to be impossible by our fathers and grandfathers.  Today, we TAKE FOR GRANTED things which would have been impossible 40 years ago.

All we need to do is decide to make it happen.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:50 AM »
Ether.

I think you mean... "aether".

And anyway, I'm pretty sure Einstein did away with the Newtonian concept of aether. ;)

Well, there is the quantum field, the Higgs Boson etc. Perhaps someone could come up with a "Planck Grapple".
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »

You need to write that down somewhere.

SteveT

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »

He's right.   So what if a small spaceship could get to Mars in 3 years.    It's a worthless desert.