Author Topic: Smith is going to buy a new motorcycle!  (Read 2922 times)

Smith

• friend
Smith is going to buy a new motorcycle!
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:28:31 AM »
Ok, I've been putting around on my EX500 for a while now, and the more I ride the more I want "more."  I have really gotten interested in sport-touring and I've been hanging out at an ST forum a lot picking up info.  I've been eyeballing the forums for newish SV650s, reading tons of reviews on bikes, from the SV to the 650 Vstrom, the 1000 Vstrom, the YZF600R, you name it.  LOTS of reading.  While I was doing my looking and sport-touring forum posting, someone PMe me with an incredible deal.  Something I really can't pass up.  It's a 2005 (yes, 2005!) Triumph Sprint ST with 6500 miles on it.  I went and looked at the bike and it is really perfect.  Never dropped, no scratches, it's mint.  Comes with soft bags and two extra tires (the current ones are still fine).  The owner is mature and has taken great care of it (has all the receipts).  I think I'll pick it up on Sunday.

I might just keep riding the EX for a while more and then switch...we'll see.

For the uninitiated, that bike (on the showroom) is $10,800.

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 02:46:40 AM »
Awesome bike. 2005 IIRC is the first year for their 1050cc tripple in the ST, which has been well recieved. it will thrash the unholy hell out of the old 500. Have fun ;-)

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:42:26 AM »
Triumph really seem to have cracked the American market, and of course if you can make it there...
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »
triumph ST is sweet.

atek3

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:16:54 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Triumph really seem to have cracked the American market, and of course if you can make it there...
I was actually thinking about this awile ago. On a single drive in Seattle I saw no less 5 of the newer Triumphs on the road. Thats a lot of bikes in a city that has a very eclectic taste in motorcycles (in fact the selection of Triumphs was eclectic as well, from a Rocket to couple of Bonnevilles and a Daytona of some variety). It seems that Triumph is getting a bit of a luke warm reception in much of Europe but they are really making pretty significant strides in the American market. I wonder what this spells for the company. I do know that everyone is going nuts over the new 675 Daytona, and I dont know that anyone has even ridden the actual production version of the bike yet.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:17:18 AM »
I just sissyed up my EX500.  It's got bags and bigger wind screen now Cheesy

In March, I'm going to go out to the Cubs (vs. Rangers) spring training in Mesa for a few days with a stopover in Carlsbad for my first overnight camping trip.

My plan is to upgrade to that new Kawi 650R next year.  I sat on one at the Int'l Motorcycle show two weeks ago and it felt really good.  They claim it will be good for smaller guys and women and I totally believe them.  It's actually lower than my 500 and narrower.  I made the Kawi reps promise me that they would make it in blue (the fastest color) next year.

I also sat on a ZX-14.  That thing is way cool.  The BMW 1200RS (bumblebee) is very nice too, but both are too much for me right now.   I have pictures here somewhere...

I was going to look at the new Triumph Daytona too, but Triumph was conspicously absent from the show.  Bummer.  Heck, Ural was there.  Nothing beats a motorcycle with a sidecar that has two-wheel rear drive and an entrenching tool as standard equipment.

So it's 650R vs. Daytona for me, but that Sprint is a nice beast.  I like the art deco styling.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 09:43:24 AM »
That Ural sounds cool.

c_yeager - Triumph is being regarded as a major British manufacturing success. The machines are still manufactured here, and apparently profits jumped a third in the last year.

I've seen quite a few Triumph's on the roads around here lately, I really do like the look of the retro style ones, but the retro Ducati (Sport 1000) is where it is at.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 12:25:58 PM »
Cool bike! I'll be switching out the 250R for a 636 or 600RR in the spring.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 01:53:42 PM »
Smith, for the record, do you think the EX500 was a good starter sportbike?  One that taught you to ride but without killing ya?

Smith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 03:32:49 PM »
CatsDieNow, in case you're worried, I just wanted you to know that I'm going to keep riding the EX for a while, but I DID test ride the Sprint and for the record, it's not scary and it doesn't have a power band at all...smooth all the way up.  I'll be safe, if for no one other than you, the person that has urged me to be that way so much!  For the price, I just couldn't say no.

Jim, YES YES YES the EX500 (Ninja500R) was and still is a great bike for me.  I do feel like I learned a lot it very fast, but I am still learning and suspect I will be for a long time.  The EX500 will take some stupid newbie moves that I don't think a faster bike would tolerate.  After having ridden the Triumph, I would bet that it's a little more forgiving than some of the 600 race ready bikes.  I have a feeling that they're super touchy, all the time..considering that monster power band and race brakes.  Get an EX500 and ride ride ride.  I have put an average of 1500 miles a month on my EX500 and I love it.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:10:19 AM »
Jim, It was some work talking him into that 500, too.  I had to pull out all my best persuassive charms.  Wink  

Smith, the Sprint is a good bike, no doubt about that.  I have decided to wait another year to ugrade - mainly for girly cosmetic reasons...but I am also still a little chicken on the twisties and want to practice more.  Maybe I will do a track day first too.  I urge everyone to be safe, I like my friends to have fun being alive and to not require skin grafts or feeding tubes.   When you are ready, then you are ready and you should upgrade.  

I f you don't intend to ride the Sprint for a while (yeah, right...) you should probably winterize it.  Fuel stabilizer, battery tender, and an oil change when it wakes up from its nap.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 03:18:52 AM »
I don't intend to have insurance on two bikes at once, so that will keep me from riding the bike for a little while.  I still have about 3 months on my EX before that insurance runs it's course.  

What you need are some twisties.  I tell you what, living in the East Coast area and taking trips up to the Blue Ridge has done a lot for my confidence.  That's not to say I feel 100% confident, far from it, but "immersion" helps...a lot.

I'm going to keep the EX for a while and use it for track days.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 03:31:26 AM »
I do need some.  There is just so much trash, dirt and debris here in the metroplex, that it scares me to lean too far.   I have slid the front wheel (no crash) a couple of times on road dirt.   There are a few farm to market roads here that are curvy, but they are trafficky and the best ones are down near Austin anyway.  Hopefully, I can spend some of my 3-day weekends cruising down there now that I have bags.

I hate acting like an anchor for the guys I ride with.  Sad

Smith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 03:35:27 AM »
I already have bags on my EX.  Best accessory I could imagine for a bike.  I thin I might take a trip to the Outer Banks in December.

You need to ride to NC.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 07:41:08 AM »
Quote from: Smith
I already have bags on my EX.  Best accessory I could imagine for a bike.  I thin I might take a trip to the Outer Banks in December.

You need to ride to NC.
I'm riding from Indiana to the Outer Banks next summer. My family is renting a house there and I'm taking a few extra days off of work so that I can ride down instead of flying. You'll have to let me know how the trip goes!

Smith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 02:08:07 PM »
I expect to have several ferry rides back and forth, but I'll enjoy that.  If you come through the piedmont area let me know and I'll meet up with you for a while.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 03:58:33 PM »
Awesome! I appreciate the offer, I have no plan of how to get out there, just a timeframe so I may be in the area. I'll let you know!

Smith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 02:06:12 AM »
I imagine that it's no secret as to who I am, you know me on THR pretty well.  

Maybe what you should do is plan to come through my area on your way.  You'll probably have a beer waiting for you, and maybe we'll cook out.  I'm sure you'd probably appreciate another rider for a while too, so I could get you maybe a couple hundred miles though NC if I find some good roads heading east between now and then.

All this could be CDN's if she rode up too...and she might get a trip up to the Blue Ridge or Deal's Gap too!  (I haven't been to Deal's Gap yet...I won't be ready for that till next spring).

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 05:58:18 AM »
Guys, I 'd love to go, but that's a 1400 mile trip for me to the Outer Banks.   I just don't have enough vacation time saved up to do that.   Deal's Gap is on my list, but not this year, unfortunatly.

Especially since I am going to both the F1 race in Indy and the MotoGP in Laguna Seca this July.  Tongue

You let me know if you end up in DFW, though.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 10:34:24 AM »
Smith- I definitely know who you are from THR. That would be awesome to meet up and grab a brew!

CDN- 1400 miles? Just ride REALLY fast! Wink

Smith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:18:16 AM »
CDN makes that sound as if it's "far" or something.  (Actually, I KNOW that it's far on an EX500)  The most I've put on it a day on it is a little over 300 miles and wow did that hurt.  Next day I was fine, but man my butt was sore that night.  I'd say up to 200 miles in a stretch (with a quick stop somewhere around 140 to get a fill-up) is no problem, but that would be about max until you had a few hours rest.  I did the 300 pretty much non-stop and that sucked.  Probably far easier to do 200ish in the morning and another 200ish in the afternoon on the EX.  400 miles a day on that bike would be a decent accomplishment.  Others, maybe not so sensitive, might do more.  Unfortunately with all the vibration and the stock seat, it's just hard mileage.  Eventually you wind up going at light speed just to save a few minutes of butt pain.  I'd say only do this when you are on a very empty highway in the middle of the day with great visibility and a good road...and when you're fully alert.  Yes, the EX500 is a great bike, but it ain't no sport-tourer like I try to make it be.

I've heard nothing but "500 a day is no problem on this bike" comments about the Sprint and I like the sound of that.

BTW, Dan, I have recently discovered that a local highway (NC 158) goes almost by my house and clear to Kitty Hawk/Nag's Head, an Outer Banks destination and ex-hang out.  I never knew this little two lane rural highway was my direct route to heaven until now.  I'll check it out for you if I get the chance and show you the way when you come down.