Author Topic: Anybody Else Make Their Own Corn Tortillas?  (Read 1050 times)

pawcatch

Anybody Else Make Their Own Corn Tortillas?
« on: November 18, 2005, 05:44:41 AM »
I always kept a pound or two of masa around the house for making tamales,so I after reading the directions on the masa bag hundreds of times I went ahead and tried making a few tortillas.
At first I tried rolling pin,but it just didn't work out so I bought a carbon steel comal and six cast iron tortilla presses.
I followed the directions to a tee,but the only problem a had was the masa kept sticking to the wax paper.So I played around and finally came up with a solution.
After I press the masa,I simply put the uncooked tortilla in the microwave for ten seconds and the wax paper comes off just fine.
Then I simply put the tortilla on the comal for about two minutes and it's done.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 06:34:13 AM »
bet they're delicious, pawcatch.

When I worked for the Borg (SAIC), the cleaning crew was this gaggle of little Latinas who thought it was amusing that this fat white Irish-Murcan John Goodman lookalike spoke pretty impressive Castellano spanish with an Argentine accent.  We got to talking about food, and one of the ladies offered to whip up a batch of tamales con pollo for me to try.

Not one to turn down authentic Mex food, I agreed.  
Next day, she showed up with literally a galvanized 2-gallon bucket filled to overflowing with about 4 dozen still HOT from the oven of the most delicious spicy chicken tamales I've ever had.  Even after sharing with the rest of the orifice, there was still a couple dozen left that she insisted I take home.

Not too long after that, she went in business with her nephew and opened a restaurant in town.
AFAIK, it's still there in Nuke City and doing well.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
Try using saran wrap on your tortilla press. Carefully peel them off and place in a hot cast iron skillet. Also, make sure your masa mix isn't too wet or it will stick. After a few tries, you get the feel for what your masa dough should feel like.

Smoke

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 05:29:41 AM »
I've done flour tortillas.  Never tried corn.

I find the store bought corn tortillas to be satisfactory.  The store bought flat bisucits are pitiful attempts  to make bad paper.

Smoke