Author Topic: TRIGGERED!!! By a meme.  (Read 4150 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
TRIGGERED!!! By a meme.
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:00:46 AM »
This story popped up on my facebook feed today.  This is the first I’ve heard of this meme, which is a shame because I could have been using it for 2 years.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/10/16/what-is-the-npc-meme-liberals-rage-at-cartoons-mocking-their-scripted-thoughts/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: TRIGGERED!!! By a meme.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:46 AM »
I've soooooo tempted to go back to FB given all the fun I could have been having, but I realize that i get permabanned pretty quick.  And right now, I only check it to stay in contact with my former soldiers.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
It literally started going mainstream less than a few weeks ago
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »
There’s a lot more to it than what’s on the surface, which makes it so devastating.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/9oderj/npc_meme_proven_by_psychology_today/

The meme is related to a psychology studies that found that a certain percentage of people didn’t have an ‘inner voice’- so when calling someone an NPC, you can easily retort to their outrage that their response has been scripted and expected😂

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
I haven't see this before either.  Sounds accurate at least applying to all the useful idiots. 

(I am useless so this doesn't apply to me)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:56:41 AM »
Another thought:  there are a whole lot of people who want to throw out their response or opinion on matters that have no clue about the issue.  They are just repeating what they have heard.  I am sure I have done it before myself.  At that point it is easy to get defensive/mad when someone challenges you and you have no actual knowledge to back it up. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
Another thought:  there are a whole lot of people who want to throw out their response or opinion on matters that have no clue about the issue.  They are just repeating what they have heard.  I am sure I have done it before myself.  At that point it is easy to get defensive/mad when someone challenges you and you have no actual knowledge to back it up. 

Time to channel Emily Litella (Gilda Radner): "Oh. .... Never mind."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »
I've only seen in the last few days.   Accurate as hell, which is why the left is so triggered by it.   If it offended the right, it wouldn't be banned by social media...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
I've only seen in the last few days.   Accurate as hell, which is why the left is so triggered by it.   If it offended the right, it wouldn't be banned by social media...

Doesn't even matter- the right has unequivacally owned memespace since at least 2016. This meme will be old news in a month and replaced with something spicier.

Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »
replaced with something spicier.

Like Sean Spicier?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
There’s a lot more to it than what’s on the surface, which makes it so devastating.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/9oderj/npc_meme_proven_by_psychology_today/

The meme is related to a psychology studies that found that a certain percentage of people didn’t have an ‘inner voice’- so when calling someone an NPC, you can easily retort to their outrage that their response has been scripted and expected😂

I think the outrage is caused by something simpler - everyone is the hero of their own story. By calling someone an NPC, you're saying he/she is not Link, but rather just Farmer #23 who gives direction to the cave full of monsters, or Shopkeeper #15 who sells healing potions to the actual Hero (ie not you).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Wow.  New to me... although I don't get around much.

You mean the right is finally turning some of the left's propaganda mechanisms back at the left?

(Yay !  Took us a while.)

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
there are a whole lot of people who want to throw out their response or opinion on matters that have no clue about the issue.  They are just repeating what they have heard.  I am sure I have done it before myself.  At that point it is easy to get defensive/mad when someone challenges you and you have no actual knowledge to back it up.

Which is why I try not to comment on things I lack knowledge of...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
So, on a scale to one to "I need crayons, a juice box and my blanky in a safe space" is this better or worse than Pepe The Frog?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »

I know a whole lot of conservatives that make great parrots too. Both sides have plenty of true believers that parrot what their favorite source of information is and really don't have any free thoughts outside of that.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »

Its self-enforcing....  :rofl:

Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:34 PM »
I haven't see this before either.  Sounds accurate at least applying to all the useful idiots

(I am useless so this doesn't apply to me)

Very good.  Consider it stolen.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
As some third rate author opined, the left can't meme. And they can't, how can you possibly be funny if you can't appropriate stuff, got to check in with your feminist friends, can't make fun of anything funny? Must be a drab world.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
As some third rate author opined, the left can't meme. And they can't, how can you possibly be funny if you can't appropriate stuff, got to check in with your feminist friends, can't make fun of anything funny? Must be a drab world.

I'd say you have no idea how drab, but I think you do know.  I lived in one of the most beautiful spots in the country, and one of the most liberal, and a lot of my liberal acquaintances were too wrapped up in their outrage to appreciate the beauty around them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
I'd say you have no idea how drab, but I think you do know.  I lived in one of the most beautiful spots in the country, and one of the most liberal, and a lot of my liberal acquaintances were too wrapped up in their outrage to appreciate the beauty around them.

You only found your surroundings "beautiful" because of your objectifying male gaze, you earth-rapist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »

I have an inkling of how drab. I have a branch of family that didn't support Hillary in 2008. Because she was too conservative. I dated a lady pre trump who was very progressive. Stands out in my mind we had a crap conversation because she wanted to know my thoughts on Freddie Gray and I told her. We were no longer speaking when the time to say told you so came. Always mad about something and again, that was pre trump. Must be epic now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 02:10:23 AM »
This NPC meme seems to have really set them off. A bit too close to home I think. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
I know a whole lot of conservatives that make great parrots too. Both sides have plenty of true believers that parrot what their favorite source of information is and really don't have any free thoughts outside of that.
I won't disagree with that.  I mentioned above I have probably done it myself.  IMO, when you are exposed to a new issue, you go from "I don't know anything" to "I agree with that line of thought" to "here are the reasons why this is correct".  When people are in that middle ground, it is easy to fall into parrot mode.  Some people are better at expressing things in their own words than others.  Later you learn more about the issue and about your own reasoning.  Some people never get out of that level of thought, some people pass through it very quickly.  

And some people parrot someone else's words simply because it captures the meaning well enough and there is no time to go into detail.  If meme had the full description of an issue, no one would read it.   =D ....so FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD!!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
There is a backpacking forum I’ve participated in over the years.

The NPC was something I noticed years ago among the most rabid leftists on that board. Dialogue with them was nearly impossible.

I started calling them the “DNC bots” in threads there and stopped trying to engage them, other than to mock them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
I won't disagree with that.  I mentioned above I have probably done it myself.  IMO, when you are exposed to a new issue, you go from "I don't know anything" to "I agree with that line of thought" to "here are the reasons why this is correct".  When people are in that middle ground, it is easy to fall into parrot mode.  Some people are better at expressing things in their own words than others.  Later you learn more about the issue and about your own reasoning.  Some people never get out of that level of thought, some people pass through it very quickly.  

Isn't that still a problem if step 3 is never, "Wait a minute, that's not right"?
"It's good, though..."