Author Topic: Cookbooks for single guys...  (Read 3610 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Cookbooks for single guys...
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
Anyone know of one?

It just struck me earlier today that I had never seen one.

I'm seriously thinking about writing one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

hso

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:32:43 AM »
solodining.com

Tons of such, but not too many focused on guys since all the variations on balogna sandwichs can be written on a 12 pack box.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »
There is one on the back of the Ramen noodles packages.  Might even be one on the back of TV dinners Tongue
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:52:24 AM »
HSO,

No, not a website on dining out strategies for the single guy.

Cooking. You know, fire, pots, pans, meat, knives?

Jefnvk,

that's the scariest thing I've ever heard. Unfortunately, it's pretty typical from what I can tell.

I'm lucky. I learned how to cook, clean, the whole 9 yards. Mom made sure of that. When I married my wife, she was the epitome of the person who had never learned how to cook and made do on an extremely unhealthy diet.

I really think I've found a niche here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »
Great Recipe on the back of a Tombstone Pizza also.

I think a single guys cookbook to woo a girl would be better than a bachelor cookbook.  

My bachelorhood is ending this year and I truly learned to be a good cook when I was back chasing skirts. If I decided to pursue a relationship after a couple of dates I would invite them over for dinner at my place and that would seal the deal. Something about cooking simple dishes that were better than most of the sit down restaurants in town really turned the ladies on.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

hso

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 12:12:50 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
HSO,

No, not a website on dining out strategies for the single guy.

Cooking. You know, fire, pots, pans, meat, knives? .
Son, they's bunches of cooking for solos cookbooks listed there.

Vegan Cooking for One: Over 150 Simple and Appetizing Meals  by Leah Leneman (Thorsons Publishers, 2000)
To buy this book, click: here

Wine for you  or for a friend!

Solo Suppers - Simple Delicious Meals to Cook for Yourself  by Joyce Goldstein (Chronicle Books, 2003)

"It doesn't work to divide recipes meant for four to six. Or worse, people make them and end up with leftovers they have to throw out. Anything can work for one person if you start out with the right amount of ingredients."
"Cookbook Author Sees No Tragedy in Dining Alone"  USA Today  November 7, 2003

Cooking for One  by Southwater Publishing (Southwater Publishing, 2000)

Cooking Solo

Read tidbits from:
"Cooking Solo: Food Industry catching on with recipes geared for one"  Columbus Dispatch
"Table for One: Just because you're cooking solo doesn't mean you have to skimp on fresh food"  The Sacramento Bee
Cookie sales have taken a dive according to: "Big Cookie Makers See Sales Crumble"  USAToday

Cooking aids for you  or for gift-giving!

The Fifteen-Minute Single Gourmet  by Paulette Mitchell

It shows how to shop fast and buy small amounts, then turn fresh ingredients into dishes you may be unaccustomed to preparing for yourself.

Cooking Schools in Italy
Treat yourself to an unforgettable learning experience in sumptuous surroundings.

Going Solo in the Kitchen  by Jane Doerfer.

This is a tutorial for solo shopping in family-sized stores; managing food until it's prepared and served; varying the ingredients to match your tastes (or pantry); and finally, suggestions for leftovers at the end of the recipe.

Serves One by Toni Lydecker  by Toni Lydecker

Super meals for solo cooks.

Coffee-lover alert! PERFECT gift for YOU  for singles everywhere.
(This is the one you read about in the New York Times!)

Brew 1 cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, espresso, even cappuccino and latte with real milk. (Brew different cup sizes, from a demitasse to a travel mug.) For details, click: latest in coffee-pod systems.

Healthy Cooking for Two and Better Than Ever! Third Edition: Revised and Updated with The Latest Low-Fat Nutritional Ingredients  by Brenda J. Shriver

Cookbook for health conscious singles and couples.Small size, low fat recipes ranging from appetizers, main dishes, vegetables to sauces, soups and breads.

Gourmet salt  Everyone is discovering the tantalizing variations. Is it time for you to get in on the tasting?
Get the details on an exciting and economical salt sampler.

Healthy Cooking for Two (or just you)  by Frances Price

Low-fat recipes with half the fuss and double the taste.

Planning a trip to Paris? Check out Cook-Dating

Cooking for Yourself  (William Sonoma Lifestyles  Vol. 12, No. 20)

Experts show you how easy it is to prepare wonderful, fresh, and delicious meals for one with this collection of 46 recipes.

Microwave Cooking for One  by Marie T. Smith

Smith's 300-plus recipes rarely take more than a half hour to prepare, and often less than that.

Gourmet Guides  has specialized in cookbooks since1973.
They offer titles that ordinary book shops overlook  books dedicated to the culinary arts, the history of the kitchen, the pleasures of fine food preparation, and hospitable food service.
They ship to chefs, bakers, serious cooks, cookbook collectors & leading culinary schools.
Their prices are good, too!

The Starving Students Cookbook  by Dede Hall

Since 1983, college students have turned to this book for delicious, cheap, nutritious, and easy recipes.

Noodles  by Paulette Mitchell

Offers easy-to-prepare variations on dishes from Thailand, China, Japan, India, Italy, and other regions.

1...2...Cook: A cookbook with easy to make recipes for 1 or 2 people  by Don Alexander

Don Alexander is not a professional chef. He is a 32 year old guy whose love of cooking resulted in a cookbook for people who like to cook, but who don't want the hassle of making large, complicated meals for just themselves, or just themselves and their significant other.

Click here to buy this book

Dude Food: Recipes for The Modern Guy  by Karen Brooks

Promises to take any guy from zero to sixty in the kitchen and big flavors-with minimal effort.

Quickies for Singles: Planning & Preparing Quick Meals for One  by Members of Fellowship Church Baton Rouge

Youll find alternatives to TV dinners, hamburgers-on-the-run, and lots of leftovers among 200 quick-to-fix, single-serving recipes.

Sur La Table Gift Card

Sur La Table satisfies the demands of culinary professionals and home chefs for a reliable source of top quality cookware and hard-to-find kitchen tools.

NEW  Sur La Table now offers the iSi Orka® Silicone Oven Mitt in several colors and sizes!

This oven mitt is slip-resistant, waterproof, and heat-resistant to 500° F. You can retrieve a scalding hot ear of corn or a steaming lobster from boiling water.

Made of injection-molded, food-grade silicone, this mitt is dishwasher safe and will not stain or discolor.
Available in:
blue (item #261362, $19.95)
translucent (item #261370, $19.95)
red (item #329284, $19.95)
raspberry ice (Petite  fits small hands) (item #464990, $19.95)
aqua ice (Petite  fits small hands) (item #465005, $19.95)

Outfitting or Adding to your kitchen?

Check out Sur La Table's essential kitchen list comprising three levels:

Basic  items that are essential for introductory cooking
Well-Stocked  items that provide choices for a wider variety of preparation
Gourmet  items for the most serious cook
(Appliances, Bakeware, Cook's Tools, Cookware and Knives)

Healthy Cooking for Singles & Doubles  by Eleanor Brown

Inspired by spa cooking, this is a low calorie cookbook for people who live alone or with one other person.

Cooking for 1 or 2 (A Nitty Gritty Cookbook)  by Katherine Greenberg

The basics!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
Last time I was at Barnes & Noble they had a pretty good selection of cookbooks. I didn't thumb through them, but I saw several that were obviously geared towards easy, small-portion cooking.

And there is this - http://www.clarityiniowa.com/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »
Dang,

My apologies, Dad. Smiley

I didn't look closely enough.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 12:33:33 PM »
I had a cook book in my single days that stressed having a young lady over your place for dinner, and impressing her enough that she'd stay for breakfast.  Actually had some pretty good stuff in it too.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »
Scary, huh?

I haven't actually had Ramen or TV dinners in a long time.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
Mike,
I really think you should consider doing a cookbook.
As I have mentioned to you before, you are gifted in the abililty to write, and express yourself. I have learned from you about History, firearm history and many other subjects. I know you would do a great job of writing a cookbook for not only single guys...anyone!

I personally learned and still use Betty Crocker's, Fanny Farmer cookbooks. I also picked up a quick and easy recipe book years ago and a Campbell's Soup Recipe book. Just going off memory as my stuff is in storage - I have some other cooking/ recipe books there.

I picked up from somewhere a "Cooks's Illustrated".  32 pages filled with information single guys/anyone can use and benefit from. From choosing pots and pans, knives, where cuts of meat are from on animals, selecting cuts. To Fruits and Vegetables. Recipes also.   I do like the format with texts and pictures. I have not gone to their website

www.cooksillustrated.com

Yeah...do a cookbook Mike.

Steve

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 08:04:56 PM »
I've thought about writing a cook book for single guys off and on for years. I doubt I'll ever get around to it, so here's a title you can use if you'd like: "Man Loose in the Kitchen!"

The way to sell it would be piggy-back marketing with a brewer, sports wear manufacturer, car parts place, or some other predominantly male enterprise.

I'm sure the concept would work, but I've already got too many irons in the fire to take on another spare time project.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:23:30 AM »
Betty Crocker and the Amish cookbook smiley, look at servings, do math,:O follow directions,:/ cook, eat. What else is there???cheesy
Besides what guy reads the directions???/ Cheesy
Brian
<><
:)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 09:36:25 AM »
Going Solo in the Kitchen  by Jane Doerfer.
Cook book...sounds like a title to a DVD found in the rental store's back room. Wink

But seriously, buy a crock pot. There are plenty of premade meals you can buy, toss into a crock pot before work and have a good meal ready when you get home. If you made too much save it for another meal. The link below is for a crock pot cooking book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068815803X/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-5128983-6153452?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 09:49:06 AM »
I've already got a working title...

Bachelor Chow -- the Fine Art of Eating Well as a Single Guy

If anyone is thinking of stealing that title? Don't. It's copyrighted. Sometimes it pays to do some work in advance... Smiley

"But seriously, buy a crock pot."

*expletive deleted*it, son, I'm on my THIRD one.

As for crockpot cookbooks, pretty much they could all be named "We're taking our money from the people who make mushroom soup in a can..." or "Crockpot recipes guaranteed to have 10% less than a lethal dose of salt. (So don't have seconds!)"

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »
You could call it "Beer, Chilli, Pizza, Pasta, and More Beer."

molonlabe

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »
Thr had a thread a few years ago that could have made a good THR cookbook. I'll see if I can find it.

Oops it was i the roundtable and I think they were deleted from THR. Now I know why I can't find some post. It was some great recipes for a single guy.
The United States Constitution
? 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »
Cookbook?

Pretty much anything written by Rachel Ray.

Her recipes are geared to be tasty, quick, and easy.  I've got two of her books, and have only had one recipe that I didn't care for out of them.

And her show is not to be missed...
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »
Years ago a friend helped produce The Impoverished Student's Guide to Cookery, Drinkery, and Housekeepery which was published by The Reed College Alumni Association.  That was a great read and decent cookbook but it appears to have vanished from the planet (my copy was stolen by a former roommate.)  

While trying to locate the ISGCDH, I stumbled on X-treme Cuisine: An Adrenaline Charged Cookbook for the Young at Heart, described as a "sometimes informative though mostly scattered and base kitchen guide is aimed at the uncouth male teenager, college student, or even a hopeless adult singleton."  Is that what you have in mind, Mike?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »
Mikey, here in Wentzville, the best solo guy cookbook says "Southwestern Bell" on the cover.

The folks at the local chinese joint know me...
Blog under construction

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
I just make normal sized main dishes and then freeze the leftovers. I only end up cooking about twice a week.

Kharn

Neophyte

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 01:52:28 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I've already got a working title...

Bachelor Chow -- the Fine Art of Eating Well as a Single Guy

If anyone is thinking of stealing that title? Don't. It's copyrighted. Sometimes it pays to do some work in advance... Smiley
Just make sure you've run that title by the friendly lawyers of Fox Broadcasting Co. before you go to print... Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 06:01:43 AM »
Bachelor Chow has been in the common vernacular for quite awhile, much longer than Futurama was.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 10:18:55 AM »
"Pre-heat oven to..."
'Center rack"
"Peel back corner of foil to expose tater tots...."

pretty much covers it.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
I said the fine art of eating WELL, Rich.

Not the fine art of poisoning yourself with absolute dreck.