Author Topic: And speaking of stocks and such...  (Read 2158 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
And speaking of stocks and such...
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:02:48 PM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
No, but I wish I had a piece of the Chipotle IPO.  Doubled in price.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 01:26:13 AM »
I was at the McDonalds shareholders meeting in 2001 and they talked about the Chipotles restaurant chain.  And I thought to myself "They sure are squared away.  I should by some of there stock."  And look at them now...  (Too bad I didn't have any money then.)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:47:28 AM »
Yea, actually, I steer away from IPOs. You never know which way they will go. Granted you can get lucky but look at Krispy Kreme, it went gangbusters for a while and now they're closing stores. I'm more impressed by the long term performance of things like UTX. It's been solid for years now. Just go back to just last week when the market tanked what 200 pts? UTX STILL managed to gain well over $1 that day. When a stock still manages to make gains on a bad market day it is a good sign the the big investors think it has value.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:13:22 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CMG&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

See what I mean? If you were a day trader on the stick you might have made something. Right now the chart looks like crapola. Notice the general downward angle on the line? Some people made money but some have lost money too.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:42:45 AM »
The only way you'd get me to have any part of IPO's would be if I was lucky enough to be able to do a pre-buy before the stock went public, then sell it the same day it went public as it's basically guarenteed to double or triple.  However, since I'm not on any of the board of directors or any other priviledged position I'll just stick to buying index funds for the long run, I don't believe in doing day-trader style investing.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »
Quote from: Phantom Warrior
I was at the McDonalds shareholders meeting in 2001 and they talked about the Chipotles restaurant chain.  And I thought to myself "They sure are squared away.  I should by some of there stock."  And look at them now...  (Too bad I didn't have any money then.)
Interesting! McDonald's was the first stock I ever owned.  I *should* have kept it, but sold it off in the midst of some financial difficulties several years ago.  It had split many times in the 15 years I held it.

blairh, My head says a good index fund is the way to go, long-term.  In retrospect, lots of naive young trend-bucking investors who swung for the fences during the dot com boom did well for themselves; if they were smart enough (and many/most WEREN'T) to get out once they made a reasonable profit, or before the bust, good on 'em.  There's always somebody who beats the law of averages, but I'd rather not risk principal on a roll of the dice.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 11:41:26 AM »
Index fund- there's safety in numbers Smiley

IPOs are where the venture capitalists and institutional traders get their payday and everyone else who gets in 4 minutes later pays an inflated stock price to get in on the action.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »
I will mention that a profusion of low-quality IPOs usually signals that the bull market is at the top.  I am not predicting that now.  Just mentioning it.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
At least one relatively high-quality IPO will be hitting sometime in the next couple of months.

SAIC is going public.

All I can say is buy, buy, buy, folks! *

* Please buy so as to drive the value of my shares up. Thank you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
Please buy so as to drive the value of my shares up. Thank you
Spoken like a true stock "analyst"  Tongue

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 03:49:43 PM »
After a brief look I would say to buy this at the IPO, depending on how they price it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 05:13:25 PM »
Rabbi, don't you want to short chipotle? And GM for that matter?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Rabbi, don't you want to short chipotle? And GM for that matter?
I have my hands full with my short of PF Chang's.

Just because a stock is a lousy investment doesn't make it a good short.  There are plenty of better candidates.  I havent looked at Chipotl yet.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 12:54:47 AM »
I take it shorting is more of a "short term" strategy so a slowly declining stock is not the best choice? In case you can't tell, I've never done any short selling.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 05:34:39 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I take it shorting is more of a "short term" strategy so a slowly declining stock is not the best choice? In case you can't tell, I've never done any short selling.
In the long run stocks tend to go up.  The key word is tend.  Yes, it is usually a time limited strategy altho mine seem to take years.  I have been shorting Chang's for like 2 years now, waiting for the big dump.
One issue with shorting is if the company pays a dividend.  Since you have borrowed the stock, you owe the dividend when it gets paid.  Now you can sell short right after the ex-dividend date and close the position before the next one.  But again, I think there are a lot more non-div paying ompanies that are worthy of shorting.

Shorting appeals to my sadistic nature.  It is a contrarian approach.  You look for stocks of companies that have appreciated enormously, way more than they are worth.  You figure out where things are going to go bad, try to fix some sort of time frame for that, and then short.  You need to ignore the chat boards and articles hyping the company.  You want them to lose money, to lay off people, to suffer, to die die die.  You fantasize about Enron, about seeing the CEO in the dock pleading for his life.  You wish every bad thing on the company you can: gov't investigations, shareholder suits, liability suits, you name it.
It isn't for everyone.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 06:27:19 AM »
Ah, the "Doom and Gloom" method of investing. Die little company DIE!!

LOL...

Cheesy