Author Topic: Gun-related "free offer" banner ads?  (Read 906 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Gun-related "free offer" banner ads?
« on: January 27, 2006, 02:44:42 PM »
On my site I have banner ads for Henry Repeating Arms on just 17 pages. 5% of the people who view those pages click on the ads. A 5% click-through-rate for internet banner ads is very good. The banner ad is for a free catalog.

A few days ago, I put banner ads for Guns Magazine and American Handgunner on the site. I was expecting something in the range of a 3% click through rate.

Instead, they're getting a rate of around .3%.

When I asked other webmasters about it, they said that free offer banner ads do the best.

Unfortunately, the promotions manager at the magazines doesn't want to advertise anything for free, or at least not at this point.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has seen any gun-related "free offer" banner ads on any internet sites. I know there are plenty of non-gun-related ads, but I'd like to keep the ads relevant.

Thanks for any replies.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:58:20 PM »
Not necessarily banner ads, but I've seen a number of gun-related websites that run sweepstakes and such to win firearms.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 06:09:10 PM »
A 5% click-through-rate for internet banner ads is very good.
This old time direct mail guy is seriously impressed!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:58:58 PM »
Standing Wolf, there's a company called America Remembers that produces custom guns based on historic firearms. They have just four pages on my site, each with a link to their site for pricing, further information, etc.

The page that gets the most click-through's is http://www.gunshopfinder.com/America_Remembers/John_Wayne_Coach_Gun.html.

They're getting a 13.9% click-through rate!

I've devoted hundreds and hundreds of hours of time to developing this site, and the traffic is right where I anticipated it to be. In fact, I'm amazed that I was so accurate as to when the site would hit the 100,000 visitor a month mark, and how close I am to my promised 200,00 visitor a month mark.

The problem is that I have a ton of valuable "real estate" available for the right advertiser, but I need to find that advertiser.

The advertiser needs to be able to convert clicks to sales (you know that). If the advertiser puts up an attractive banner (meaning one that will get clicks), I know that I can send 20,000 to 40,000 visitors to their site every month. The question is how much revenue those visitors will return.

I fully realize that spending $3000 to $6000 monthly for advertising on my site is wasting money, unless the click-through's can at least cover that cost.

What I'm looking for is an advertiser whose offer is so good that he feels that kind of money is worth it.

The president of Henry Repeating Arms is very happy with his results.