Author Topic: Readers Digest  (Read 899 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Readers Digest
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:19:51 PM »
OK, my age is showing. Just recently started getting RD again. When did they get bought out by Drugs R Us? I haven't counted, but it seems as though 50% of the content is drug ads. 1 page story followed by 4 pages of the latest miracle drug. You name it, they got a drug for it. Don't know what you got? Doesn't matter, plenty to go around.
I really really need to buy some pharma stocks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Readers Digest
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:51:38 PM »
You think that's fun? Pick up copy of Nat'l Geographic and see what the eco-nazis have done to a once-fine institution.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Readers Digest
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 01:28:39 PM »
Quote from: garyk/nm
OK, my age is showing.
There's your answer... demographics.

FWIW, I like RD, always have, yet I haven't taken a prescription drug in years.  I'm not old like some of you guys.
cheesy
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Readers Digest
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »
+1 on the Nat'l Geo.  They used to be SO enjoyable, educational and capable of opening new vistas into other cultures, species, and the world around us.

Now, they're just one big blissninny tree hugging advertisement for global warming, the evils of MNC's, and the importance of conservation.

Nothing is without an agenda these days, it seems.
Sad.

matis

• friend
Readers Digest
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 02:41:27 PM »
Hey, watch what you say about National Geographic!

In my early teens, their coverage of "native peoples" (primitive jungle tribes) were the only way we got to ogle naked female breasts.

If we had available then what kids can see now, I'd have gone blind AND grown hair on my palms.

I actually DID read the articles, though.

The same as I did with playboy that came later.  I did read those articles also,  Is it my fault they had all those dirty pictures?   shocked

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Readers Digest
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 06:21:34 PM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
+1 on the Nat'l Geo.  They used to be SO enjoyable, educational and capable of opening new vistas into other cultures, species, and the world around us.

Now, they're just one big blissninny tree hugging advertisement for global warming, the evils of MNC's, and the importance of conservation.

Nothing is without an agenda these days, it seems.
Sad.
It's not just recently ... it was probably 20+ yrs ago that I saw a photo in NG that was taken at ground level on a woods landing (where logs are stacked and loaded on trucks) that attempted to make it look like the entire area was a moonscape.  But an observant eye could see that there were new trees maybe 10-20 feet tall growing just beyond the landing area.  If the damn photographer would have stood up to take the picture instead of lying on his/her stomach, it would have shown a much different atmosphere.

We dropped our RD subscription years ago.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
Readers Digest
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 01:59:36 AM »
I mistakenly bought a NG subscription a few years ago remembering what a neat magazine it was to read while growing up, thankfully it was only a 1 year subscription after seeing the type of environwhacko tripe they print.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama