Author Topic: Input would be appreciated... ( a little long)  (Read 2306 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Input would be appreciated... ( a little long)
« on: January 29, 2006, 06:09:36 AM »
Among the many things that interest me is the guitar. I happen to have a BGS with a Major in Guitar and a Minor in psych. I don't play much these days but plan to as time permits. Anyhoo in lieu of playing and in order to stay close to the field I have been associated with the "Connecticut Classical Guitar Society" www.ccgs.org  for ~10 yearss now. I am in the middle of my fourth season as "Volunteer Coordinator" As such I just kind of take whatever people show up to help at a concert and tell them "Do this,,,Do that etc, etc". Sometimes I get to open and close the curtain. Wink

All my volunteers are well to do, highly educated, well placed people. Me? I'm a furnace repairman these days. It pays the bills.

I have some regulars amongst whom there are 2 women. One an English Professor at Central Ct. an Italian Jewish Lady in her early 60's I'm guessing. There aren't many of those around. The other I believe from Venezuela,  early 50's highly placed at some big medical facility, I think it's UCONN medical Center but I'm not sure. Anyhow I've seen her on public access in panel discussions. Both excellent volunteers. The Prof is the newsletter editor and does an outstanding job, the other  a WHIZ!! at selling memberships. Either can be a PITA at times.

Well, trying to shorten this ever growing story, apparently they have been at each other's throats. There may have been cheap wine involved. From what I gather Prof has been offended more than once by what she perceives as "Anti-Semitic" remarks from the other. Words were exchanged, emails were exchanged and finally phone calls. None aiming toward being apologetic. NOW the prof would like to leave the organization. Naturally she would be the one I want to keep, just because her attitude is so much better. At the same time Venezuela lady who can be nasty at times will NEVER leave. Very extremely stubborn. It will take a lot to get her out if that's what it comes to. I'd kind of hate to lose her but not as much as the prof.

How would you approach this situation? The use of firearms is not an option. No rope or knives either... LOL...

Incidentally, on the Psych side of things, I've determined that most of you are no crazier than I am. That's not saying much though... shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:40:58 AM »
Here's what I would do.  I don't know if it's right for your situation.

I'd tell them both separately and privately how much their volunteer time and efforts mean to the organization and to me.  The obviously both bring a lot to the group.  I'd tell them how much of a loss it would be to the organization and to me if a valuable volunteer was lost and that I would hope that any "conflicts" or "temporary misunderstandings", and I would emphasize temporary, could be worked out for the good of the organization.  Then I would leave it alone.

You would have made it clear that it is the good of the organization that is the reason for the discussion.  If either or both care about the organization they will get over their spat or at least keep it away from the organization.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »
Damn good thinking...

Thanks!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »
Give them each a knife and bet 50,000 quatloos on the one with the longer reach?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »
Marry one of them for their money then you can defend her honor.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »
Let's see, an Italian and a Hispanic squaring off with knives. Hmmmm,,,tough call...

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 03:30:19 PM »
Marry one of them for their money then you can defend her honor.
Hah! Just caught this one Greg, I would but my wife is a pretty good shot... shocked

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:32:11 PM »
Food for thought. Imagine having a Jewish / Italian mother!  rolleyes

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:13:13 PM »
I'll put $50 on the Latina to win by KO in the 2nd round.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 05:15:39 PM »
Yea, I'd go with her too, I happen to know she works out.

She's not exactly a lightweight either.

Shocked

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
Well, I initiated conversation as described with the professor. She is adamant that I not approach the other party as she is afraid of repercussions. Even if I don't use names it would be pretty simple to figure out where things are coming from. At this point I left her with, "What do you suggest."

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Well, I initiated conversation as described with the professor. She is adamant that I not approach the other party as she is afraid of repercussions. Even if I don't use names it would be pretty simple to figure out where things are coming from. At this point I left her with, "What do you suggest."
Keep us posted about how it goes.  Will be interesting to see what she suggests.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 11:51:22 AM »
Sure, I suggested a steel cage match best out of three falls. Foriegn objects and chairs are legal...

But then again, I'm a wise ass...

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 12:07:01 PM »
Well, no cage match Sad Funny no sooner did I read Berm's last post her reply came through. She would rather I left her name out of it and use other examples in regards to the abrasive nature of Madam Venezuela and bring them to the board president in private. Apparently, he may already be aware of the tension. Problem is, save one personal incident from a few years back, I haven't had much trouble out of her since I set her straight. I'm thinking it's more like a "takes two to tango" type thing with neither willing to give ground. I've put in a request to the prof for the offending remarks and emails. Stay tuned for another episode of "As the Stomach Turns"  

Wink

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Thunder Dome!
Thunder Dome!

Wink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
LMAO...

Cheesy

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
Keep the video camera ready.  When they finally throw down, you can record it and send it to AFV.  Donate the $10,000 you win to the CCGS and rename it 280plusCGS.
For entertainment purposes only.