Author Topic: Doorbells....  (Read 1133 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Doorbells....
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:32:49 AM »
Okay for you home impfrovement gurus out there....
I'm in the middle of a basement finish.  I've got about 300 finished sqft, and the 670sqft thats unfinished is framed and wired, I just passed my first inspection this morning!  
Here's the problem I have.  My doorbell is weak and quiet, and cannot be heard downstairs.  On the flip side of that, I don't want it to be too loud, because its right outside my boy's room, and might wake him up during naptime.  What I'd like to do is add a remote doorbell to the basement.  Hardwire power is okay, because I can do the work before finishing the drywall, but running the line for the bell itself might be a bitch.  A voice unit that allows me to talk to someone outside would be really cool.  Price isn't an issue here, unless we're talking something unreasonable.....
suggestions?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Doorbells....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 08:38:57 AM »
Try Radio Shack, browse around, ask questions and see if they have anything that might work for you.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Doorbells....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »
How about a flashing light that you can see from anywhere in the basement when someone pressed the doorbell? That what you won't wake the kid.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Doorbells....
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
I know that X10 (SmartHome) makes a remote doorbell chime that you can put anywhere.  But don't believe the hype; on their website they describe the sound as "a pleasant chime".  When in fact it's an unbelievably loud, piercing, screeching "BING BONG!  BING BONG!  BONG BING!" that can be heard from entire other zip codes.

Also it'll make the sound any time your power ever flickers, which is especially nice in the middle of the night.

Avoid this solution if you value your sanity.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Doorbells....
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »
My mom and dad had a similar problem to you. Pa is getting pretty hard of hearing and couldn't here the doorbell when upstairs. They got a wireless remote from Orchard Supply, and it works as advertised. It even lets you choose a bunch of different tunes. I've never heard them talk of it going off during power spikes or anything. No idea on price, but my dad is a cheapskate, so it couldn't have been that much... Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Doorbells....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »
X 10 is pretty neat

i saw one door bell hack that put a code send in line with the doorbell button

the vacuum sweeper was rewired with an inline on off switch that listened for the doorbell button...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Iain

• friend
Doorbells....
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 02:37:23 AM »
Used to have a remote doorbell that went off regularly when no-one was there. Best we could figure was that it was the guy next door using his remote unlocking key for his car. He always seemed to be driving off by the time we got to the door anyway.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Doorbells....
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 02:46:54 AM »
Funny, our TV changes channels all by itself. I figured it was someones garage remote but that car remote makes more sense. Either that or it's Pat, our resident ghost. Yes, we have a ghost. He's ok though. Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Doorbells....
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »
I have an x10 remote doorbell.  It works well and it's not too loud.  The bonus is that you plug it into a 110v outlet, so you can put it in the location that best suits you.  Also, you can turn it off or unplug it when you don't want to use it.

I bought mine from smarthome.com.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?