Author Topic: Sikorsky S-97 "Raider"  (Read 10757 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Sikorsky S-97 "Raider"
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »

Sikorsky recently announced the S-97 "X2 Raider" in response to a request for information relating to Army’s Armed Aerial Scout (AAS) program.   

Two configurations were purposed.  For the armed reconnaissance mission, the X2 Raider helicopter will have a two-pilot cockpit, with the rest of the space reserved for armament and auxiliary fuel.  (aka the Ricky Bobby Option)  In an assault configuration, that space is used to hold six troops.  Both configurations allow increased speed, increased maneuverability, greater endurance, and the ability to operate at high altitudes over conventional helicopters.  And it's quite quiet as well.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Sikorsky S-97 "Raider"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Went with the Kamov approach for overall compactness, I see.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
Went with the Kamov approach for overall compactness, I see.

Not for compactness.  Coaxial to defeat dissymmetry of lift.  We have a pusher prop, active vibration control, and a bunch of other "interesting" stuff under the hood.  So somewhat similar looks, very different internals.  The whole aircraft exterior is designed around removing drag.  This thing is build for speed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »
Well, now you know what to send up here for Christmas...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Pshaw.

Doesn't have anything on Airwolf. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
I don't know a lot about helos. What are the reasons / benefits of this tail rotor design? Is it basically a speed enhancement?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
I don't know a lot about helos. What are the reasons / benefits of this tail rotor design? Is it basically a speed enhancement?

The standard tail rotor is designed to counteract the torque of the main rotor.  I'd imagine the counter rotating main rotors on this design elimate that need, so the pusher tail rotor allows it extra forward propulsion....
I
feel
the
need
for
speed!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »

The design is that there is no tail rotor.    =D

Jamis is correct.  No need for counter-torque with a coaxial, so we toss on the prop for speed.  However, the design also allows the airframe to pull maneuvers that are physically not possible to accomplish in a conventional setup.  In other words, we could fly circles around Airwolf. 

I do not want to be within a hundred miles of 160th when they get their hands on this...  It's fast, maneuverable in ways unimaginable to any sane pilot, and has plenty of interesting physics characteristics that I'm sure insane pilots will love exploring. 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »

Jamis is correct.  No need for counter-torque with a coaxial, so we toss on the prop for speed.  However, the design also allows the airframe to pull maneuvers that are physically not possible to accomplish in a conventional setup.  In other words, we could fly circles around Airwolf. 

I do not want to be within a hundred miles of 160th when they get their hands on this...  It's fast, maneuverable in ways unimaginable to any sane pilot, and has plenty of interesting physics characteristics that I'm sure insane pilots will love exploring. 

Yeah...  but airwolf can go mach 2..  and this go mach 2?   :)  Also, Airwolf can stuff shrike and hellfire missiles plus 6" copperhead guided artillery shells in what looks like a 2" tube..  can this do that too?   [ar15]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
Oh, I did not earlier see the pusher prop in the rear.  I thought they went with the co-axial rotors (like Kamov) just to eliminate the tail rotor.  Hmm, this should have some speed then with the auxiliary prop. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
Ok... his and hers, one for me and one for Spoon... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:16:15 PM »

Interesting. Is it constant or variable? My limited knowledge would lead me to believe that the design for increased speed would somewhat negatively affect the maneuverability that you'd have with a standard tail rotor. From what you said though, that's not only not the case, but you're increasing maneuverability. You're making my brain hurt. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:37 PM »
Not for compactness.  Coaxial to defeat dissymmetry of lift.  We have a pusher prop, active vibration control, and a bunch of other "interesting" stuff under the hood.  So somewhat similar looks, very different internals.  The whole aircraft exterior is designed around removing drag.  This thing is build for speed.

OTS engines?

From whom?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 06:10:52 PM »
The design is that there is no tail rotor.    =D

Jamis is correct.  No need for counter-torque with a coaxial, so we toss on the prop for speed.  However, the design also allows the airframe to pull maneuvers that are physically not possible to accomplish in a conventional setup. In other words, we could fly circles around Airwolf.  

I do not want to be within a hundred miles of 160th when they get their hands on this...  It's fast, maneuverable in ways unimaginable to any sane pilot, and has plenty of interesting physics characteristics that I'm sure insane pilots will love exploring.  

So is your plan to have Skippy from MHI be your test pilot?  And does it have room for the setup he's gonna need to play heavy metal?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
 In other words, we could fly circles around Airwolf.  

Airwolf could go from zero to Mach one in ten seconds from sea level to 40,000ft.  [tinfoil]
Now, the actual helicopter was a Bell 222 which tops out about 165 MPH.  It did have twin turboshaft Lycoming engines which is unusual for an executive "puddle-jumper" but nowhere near mach speeds.
When you can print every third frame of a 35mm. camera negative you can make an executive chopper with some fiberglass option add-ons look pretty good for way less than a billion dollars.
I enjoyed the tv show a lot ... in fact I have the complete DVD set ... but we do not yet have the ability to make real helicopters that can do the things it could do.
And, good grief, the ADF pod tubes were bigger than two inches .......  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:59 PM »
Airwolf could go from zero to Mach one in ten seconds from sea level to 40,000ft.  [tinfoil]
Now, the actual helicopter was a Bell 222 which tops out about 165 MPH.  It did have twin turboshaft Lycoming engines which is unusual for an executive "puddle-jumper" but nowhere near mach speeds.
When you can print every third frame of a 35mm. camera negative you can make an executive chopper with some fiberglass option add-ons look pretty good for way less than a billion dollars.
I enjoyed the tv show a lot ... in fact I have the complete DVD set ... but we do not yet have the ability to make real helicopters that can do the things it could do.
And, good grief, the ADF pod tubes were bigger than two inches .......  :facepalm:

Lighten up Francis

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
Lighten up Francis

Who the ____ is Francis?? ??? [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
Oh, I did not earlier see the pusher prop in the rear.  I thought they went with the co-axial rotors (like Kamov) just to eliminate the tail rotor.  Hmm, this should have some speed then with the auxiliary prop. 

Ayep. 

OTS engines?

From whom?

LHTEC T800-LHT-801

Interesting. Is it constant or variable? My limited knowledge would lead me to believe that the design for increased speed would somewhat negatively affect the maneuverability that you'd have with a standard tail rotor. From what you said though, that's not only not the case, but you're increasing maneuverability. You're making my brain hurt. :P  :laugh:

Variable, I believe. 

Increased speed does negatively affect maneuverability (with varying degrees of how just negatively), but you'd also not be gunning the engines if you were making a tight turn.   Usually.  Reason maneuverability is improved is because the tail rotor speed largely effects which direction you're aiming in a conventional.  With the X2, you just use the rotor mast.  Plus there's some additional physics involving the blade movement.  But yes, increasing speed and maneuverability both.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
Looks like the pusher prop is a must, I would assume the main rotor is pretty limited in terms of forward tilt of the tip path plane that regular helos use to go forward. Should lessen the rotor loading too, less pitch needed for forward motion. Fast. Want one in my garage, please send Hellfires and big gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
I have to say one of my favorite parts of the video wasn't the high-tech stuff, it was the archival footage of (I presume) Sikorsky doing a test flight in his suit and hat. :)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
Looks kinda small for eight people....unless they're hobbits or something....

...does this mean they're changing the slogan to "An Army of One-Half?".....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »
4 Spacemarines get strapped to the wing pods in powersuits
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"