Author Topic: Sikorsky S-97 "Raider"  (Read 10759 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Sikorsky S-97 "Raider"
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
100mm recoilless aircraft autocannon existed from the 1930's. Make orf that what you will.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »
LHTEC T800-LHT-801

:cool:

Too bad they didn't call us for some more maintenance software  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 10:42:58 AM »
Looks kinda small for eight people....unless they're hobbits or something....

...does this mean they're changing the slogan to "An Army of One-Half?".....

=D

MH-6 swings two crew and 4 really bad dudes. Of course they have to sit out on the porch. Those things are tiny.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
Who the ____ is Francis?? ??? [popcorn]

Don't you play 'Left 4 Dead'?  That game ROCKS! 

Of course, Francis would say, "I hate this game!"

=D

Airwolf also rocked.  Even if the physics didn't work (it carried HOW many weapons, HOW much ammo and fuel and that big-ol' computer suite in back?  Shyeah, right...).  At least it did up until the third season, when they lost the ability to pay for the use of the actual 'copter and used stock footage and the 1.5 meter RC version.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
I don't expect this to fare any better than the RAH 66.  Yea it may be a more modern design but in these budgetary times I don't see them approving production.

It may run for a decade or so as a development project and never go to production.  That seems to be the favorite way to waste money these days.  I don't have a lot of faith in gov't aircraft programs.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »
I don't expect this to fare any better than the RAH 66.  Yea it may be a more modern design but in these budgetary times I don't see them approving production.

It may run for a decade or so as a development project and never go to production.  That seems to be the favorite way to waste money these days.  I don't have a lot of faith in gov't aircraft programs.

Except it's privately funded.  Gives us more rights to the technology, of course.  And we're going to slap it into civil aircraft as well. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
Rev, it looks good. Unfortunately, with the leadership of the country clueless and bankrupt, I don't see any new starts in DoD any time soon. Maybe AFSOC or ASOC.

As a VSTOL test pilot, it warms the cockles of my heart.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Except it's privately funded.  Gives us more rights to the technology, of course.  And we're going to slap it into civil aircraft as well. 

A maneuverable helo with high speed could be very useful for medical transport.  That'd be pretty sweet to see.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
A maneuverable helo with high speed could be very useful for medical transport.  That'd be pretty sweet to see.

Grow the platform and it could be everything that the V22 was promised to be....fast short range transport. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
Rev, it looks good. Unfortunately, with the leadership of the country clueless and bankrupt, I don't see any new starts in DoD any time soon. Maybe AFSOC or ASOC.

As a VSTOL test pilot, it warms the cockles of my heart.

TC

Yea, that's basically what everyone is assuming.  USSOCOM is practically drooling over it, as we have a functional prototype and are building additional militarized prototypes. 

Grow the platform and it could be everything that the V22 was promised to be....fast short range transport. 

Oddly, that was Preacherman's comment.  Slap the tech on a CH-53 body.  Maybe in another decade or so.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 04:46:34 AM »
The V-22 already IS everything it was promised to be: 10,000 pounds payload to 100-200 miles at twice the speed of any existing helicopter. It's expensive to buy and expensive to operate, but it does the job. If the CH-53K comes through after they finish development, the Marine Corps will be well-equipped with medium- and heavy-lift aircraft. The UH-1Y light utility helo is performing well in initial deployments, and the AH-1Z is about to replace the excellent Whiskey Cobras with even better performance.

Fixed-wing for the Corps is, of course, another story.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:16 AM »
The V-22 already IS everything it was promised to be: 10,000 pounds payload to 100-200 miles at twice the speed of any existing helicopter. It's expensive to buy and expensive to operate, but it does the job. If the CH-53K comes through after they finish development, the Marine Corps will be well-equipped with medium- and heavy-lift aircraft. The UH-1Y light utility helo is performing well in initial deployments, and the AH-1Z is about to replace the excellent Whiskey Cobras with even better performance.

Fixed-wing for the Corps is, of course, another story.

TC

I think Bell had hopes that they would have civilian V22's in widespread use by now. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »
4 SpaceAngryMarines get strapped to the wing pods in powersuits

Fixed that for you.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »
Isn't "Angry Marine" a redundancy?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »
Isn't "Angry Marine" a redundancy?

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.

RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
100mm recoilless aircraft autocannon existed from the 1930's. Make orf that what you will.
I'm aware of the WWII B-25 with a 75mm cannon, and of course the Spectre gunship with a 105 recoilless, but I'm not aware of 100mm recoilless aircraft autocannon from the 1930s. In fact, I thought the recoilless rifle was a WWII development.

Please post a link - I'm interested in enlightenment.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
The recoil-less [this is how the spellchecker tells me to write it] gun in question was a soviet setup invented by Kurchevsky.

Kurchevsky was a real-world mad scientist in service of the Soviet Army, whose main idea was to arm everything with recoilless automatic guns. Sadly he a)was unable to figure out a reliable feed mechanism and b) had competing recoil-less gun inventors dealt with (such as Kondakov, who had developed a reliable 75mm automatic recoilless gun). As such, after he was , in turn, executed by Stalin, the Soviet Union soured on recoil-less guns for decades to come, axing many very promising developments in the field.

Kurchevsky - being completely insane - worked on rearming the entire Soviet Army with recoilless guns, down to 12-inch naval cannon (which were actually successful in testing, but aborted with the execution of Kurchevsky. Suffice to say here that a 12-inch gun was mounted and tested on a light destroyer, and plans were already being made for a dual 12-inch system.)

In the air, Kurchevsky was working on 75mm air-to-air guns (to be used on enemy bombers), and 100mm ground attack guns. Here's an image of the latter:

Finally, a 152mm air-to-ground gun was still on the drawing board when Kurchevsky was executed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
I have a warm spot in my heart for recoilless rifles. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton