Author Topic: Younger people expect inheritance that won't exist  (Read 5664 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Younger people expect inheritance that won't exist
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/retirement/story/2012-09-09/inheritance-generation-z/57720470/1

Nearly 40% of Generation Z, those ages 13 to 22, expect to receive an inheritance, according to a recent TD Ameritrade study. As a result, they don't believe that they will need to save for retirement.

"There is a little bit of the halo effect of youth vs. the reality of what the situation will be like," says Carrie Braxdale, managing director of investor services at TD Ameritrade. In fact, the odds are slim that young adults will inherit wealth because their parents face a less secure retirement world, with stock market turmoil and mounting health care costs.

I tell my folks that if they spend everything they earned & saved and leave me just enough to chuck them in the clay, I'll be happy.  I have no place to ask/demand they leave me diddly-squat.  They earned the money.  They raised me and paid my way for nigh on two decades.  That ought to be more than enough.

On a related note, I don;t give a damn if they give stuff to siblings or step-siblings.  It is their stuff/money.  They can do with it what they will.  I have no business getting sore because a sibling got something or more of something.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Younger people expect inheritance that won't exist
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Your rational thought has no place in our modern economy. Be gone, ye responsible person!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
Okay?  High five for being smugly morally superior to modern teenagers and young adults?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »
I expect my dad to squander it.

My mom, her and her husband never had it.  I'll be taking care of her within 10 years.   I was somewhat excited when he had a heartattack and thought it might be his time and then I could strong arm my mom out of the shithole hovel she lives in.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Nearly 40% of Generation Z, those ages 13 to 22, expect to receive an inheritance, according to a recent TD Ameritrade study. As a result, they don't believe that they will need to save for retirement.
Inheritance is about the only way any of them will have a retirement.
http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-mathematical-impossibility-for-gen.html
You're better off spending it while it's worth something, IMO.

Do they define 'inheritance' as 'stack of money'? Even I expect to inherit some stuff from my folks. No money, of course, as there is none. But I would fully expect financial illiteracy from the kids, as their parents and grandparents demonstrated an equally poor understanding of the stuff.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
I like to drive around and notice the huge farmhouses that families of relatively mundane means used to build back when it was possible to accumulate wealth without the government stealing it all.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
Inheritance is about the only way any of them will have a retirement.
http://captaincapitalism.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-mathematical-impossibility-for-gen.html
You're better off spending it while it's worth something, IMO.

Horsepucky!
As I tell my son who is going on 10- find something noone else wants to do, study up on it, become the best at it, and you'll never worry about money.
The above link only applies to kids who want to be lemmings, follow the crowd, and rack up a huge debt while getting a degree in something with no job preospects.

I want my parents to spend every last dime they have, they earned it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Inheritance? HA.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
Okay?  High five for being smugly morally superior to modern teenagers and young adults?

Oddly enough, I have heard of this same idea from our debt ridden middle age elders.  So I am not sure why folks here at chuckling. 

My mother asked me to be their executor. I asked them to put all the documentation in a safety deposit box. All the account numbers, major assets, insurance policies, etc. I honesty don't expect more than the house. If I happen to inherent anything, yay. If not, oh well. I'd just prefer it not be negative. Funerals are expensive. I'd obviously pay for it, but prefer not to do so out of pocket.  My siblings are not remotely bad folks, just not as familiar with legal and financial stuff.

I'm glad my parents are reasonably financially responsible. My buddy's parents retired around $300k in debt, and leech off him regularly. It has really cost his wife and kids. I truly wonder how you can survive when you retire with no savings.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
I asked my parents to leave me debt-free. That's it. I don't feel smug, simply that they've given me enough and they should enjoy what they've earned.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Only child of the eldest of an old family of pack rats with only two cousins. Neither of whom have much appreciation for their heritage.

No money, but holy hell, I'm not sure I really want the stuff!
Hopefully I can shove off some of the crap on cousins.

*crosses fingers*

The only one who might be in a possition to leave me money when he kicks it is my actual step dad, I doubt it would be much.
I figure, as he's younger then my mother, I'd rather him take care of her and her expenses when she gets old and crotchity, then inheraite any money. My hope is limited as the women in my family are absurdly long lived (grandma isn't much there but she's still going) and his family... Not so much.

=|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »
I never expected to inherit anything from my folks, and didn't care if I did. I figured that whatever they had socked away would be used up if either or both went into a nursing home.

They both lived to 92, and fortunately were "out of it" for just a few months each before they passed. They left each of the sons a pretty good chunk of money, but I'd rather have them alive and spending it.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
I never expected to inherit anything from my folks, and didn't care if I did. I figured that whatever they had socked away would be used up if either or both went into a nursing home.

They both lived to 92, and fortunately were "out of it" for just a few months each before they passed. They left each of the sons a pretty good chunk of money, but I'd rather have them alive and spending it.

This.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »

I have somethings coming and somethings I want. Money isn't important and any money I end up with isn't going to be much.

But things like, Dad's gun collection, Grandma June's desk, some of Aunt Elizabeth's furniture (yes, I was named after her) items of emotioanl value and ... Touchstones of those generations that came before me.
If I can't have them, I, at least, would like a reminder of them, to hopefully pass down.

But too think I wouldn't need to save, in order to retire because my parents are going to die off? Ha!
I think this upcoming generation has yet to understand the impacts of modern medicine on the elderly. Their parents are likely going to still be going strong when they reach retirement age, and that is also going to drop the evential amounts they would have inhertited in the first place (which probably wouldn't have been enough to begin with)  Old people are 'spensive.
My mom just turned 60. My Grandma is in her late 90's. I'm 28. You do the math.

Even without the current finacial climate (which is suckage) people are just living longer and longer, and that cost money. Back when lifespans where shorter, it was reasonable to expect some accumulated wealth would trickle down through generations at a predictable rate, just because you could actually accumulate more then you could spend in a lifetime. Our funtional (money earning) lifespan has increased, but not nearly as much as our total lifespan. People are more often running out of money before they die, rather then having some left over.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »
I know I'm not getting an inheritance beyond the house and land, but I also know I won't be saddled with funeral costs...they told me to dig a hole with the tractor and chuck each of 'em in a plywood box (Lowe's, baby!)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
I know I'm not getting an inheritance beyond the house and land, but I also know I won't be saddled with funeral costs...they told me to dig a hole with the tractor and chuck each of 'em in a plywood box (Lowe's, baby!)

Dad wants me to stick him in our little dog cemetary. What can I say, the man loves his mutts.
 :lol:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »
If dad has anything left the WSM (wicked step mother) will get it.
Nasty bitch can damn sure pay to bury him as well.
Last Spring they had a big yard sale to get rid of all dad's "junk".
The WSM demanded I bring dad's guns over from my safe so she could sell them in the yard sale.
Didn't ask me or my brother if we might want to buy any of them. Didn't understand why that pissed me off.
I informed her that since they weren't residents of the state it would be a felony for them to sell guns like that. When the WSM asked who would know i told her the sherrif would after I called him. I bought all of them. When little brother can pay me back he'll get the ones he wants Then she wanted dad to sell me the cases seperatly.
When I went to see what he had to sell I found all the various Zippo ships lighters my brother and I had sent him over the years, marked at $0.25 each. I just took those and told her why and dared her to stop me.
Grandpa's old table saw that I had refurbed for dad a couple years ago cost me a C note.
I dropped about $2k buying stuff that will be handed down to my kids.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »

So I am not sure why folks here at chuckling. 

Who here is laughing at young people?  ???

Besides, what is the point of a study that says teenagers know nothing about retirement planning? Should they?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:26 AM »
I want my parents to spend every last dime they have, they earned it.
Absolutely. My "spend it while it's worth something" comment refers to investing in retirement versus not.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:13:28 AM »
I know precisely what I will inherit. I have already had the conversation with my father.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »
My Mother told me they alread paid for their funeral plots and such.  Got it arranged with the local funeral home.  I don't expect to get anything significant off what my parents have.  My biggests concern is that my Mother has been big into porcelain dolls for 30 years and has a house full of "stuff" for making them including molding body parts, sewing outfits, painting, etc, etc.  She has made several dolls from scratch including sculpting the heads.  I have no idea what to do with that stuff.  The dolls are well done and nice, but all the "supplies" fill seemingly half of a fairly big house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 06:09:15 AM »
I . . .
The WSM demanded I bring dad's guns over from my safe so she could sell them in the yard sale.
Didn't ask me or my brother if we might want to buy any of them. Didn't understand why that pissed me off.
I informed her that since they weren't residents of the state it would be a felony for them to sell guns like that . . .
You could have given the sheriff or the BATmen a heads up and then let her proceed with the sale . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
There is nothing to want when my mom goes, she's given me more than I could ever ask for just in the last 5 weeks,

The in-laws are sick.  Colon cancer for one, CHF for the other.  They've put the ranch and large equipment in the kids' names. (my wife and sis in law).  There is an interest bearing fund that has already been funded to pay the ag use property taxes for the next 20 years.  Anything else made off selling the smaller things collected over 40 yrs of electrical work (fittings, etc) is going to their living expenses fund.  There is a LOT of stuff pack ratted away.  They have decent savings now so I am not worried like I was....

The kids have talked it through.  There will be no fighting over stuff.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
they told me to dig a hole with the tractor and chuck each of 'em in a plywood box (Lowe's, baby!)

Ha ha - my dad always says the same thing.  :laugh:

My folks have a revocable living trust, but I just as soon have them hanging around and spending the money, which is really difficult to do with my dad always bragging about "Look at these pants I got at Walmart for $6!!!"

Inheritance, like Social Security, is something that I simply don't count in my retirement planning. Doing so for the former is just a little creepy for me, and doing so for the latter is kinda futile.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »

Who here is laughing at young people?  ???

Besides, what is the point of a study that says teenagers know nothing about retirement planning? Should they?

I think that some level of basic financial planning should be high on the list of knowledge imparted in the schooling process, yeah. Assuming the world doesn't go Mad Max and the banks keep functioning, a little money put in during your teens and early twenties will (given time and compound interest) equal a LOT of money put in later. And when you're young and have no spouse/kids/mortgage/medical bills etc is exactly the time that a little austerity and shoveling your excess money into an account is the most easily accomplished.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.