Author Topic: What's a Good Lock Lubricant?  (Read 4415 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What's a Good Lock Lubricant?
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
I'm looking for a good lubricant for locks, ignitions, etc. - anyplace you can stick a key. Recommendations?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:28:08 PM by mtnbkr »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What's a Good Lock Lubricant?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
Lock-EZE

Which is basically powdered graphite.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
Graphite is what I prefer for locks since it doesn't get nasty like a liquid lube. I just use plain ol dry powdered graphite, comes in a tube.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
I was always told to use graphite.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »
Definitely graphite for lockworks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:52:12 AM »
I'm seeing liquid and dry graphite. Any big difference?

Also, searching for "lock lubricant" in Tools & Home Improvements on Amazon brings up some disturbing search results.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »

Also, searching for "lock lubricant" in Tools & Home Improvements on Amazon brings up some disturbing search results.

I have always used dry graphite lubricant.  Usually comes in a small tube, and kind of "poof's" out when expressed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »

As in ?????
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:03 AM »
My first pass on reading the thread title was "What's a Good Love Lubricant".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »
As in ?????

A couple of dildos.  But no Astroglide. =(

Had to ask, didn't you.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: What's a Good Lock Lubricant?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »

Go with dry. Won't gunk up the works like wet will over time.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
My first pass on reading the thread title was "What's a Good Love Lubricant".

Probably how Amazon read it as well!

Dry graphite it is. Thanks all!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
Either graphite or a teflon lube in an evaporative carrier.

Liquid or powdered graphite really doesn't matter. The liquid is an evaporative carrier, so it goes away really quickly.

If you want to make sure that you get the graphite into the nooks and crannies in your lock, you can mix powdered graphite with some 90% alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and inject it into the lock with a syringe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
I'm looking for a good lubricant for locks, ignitions, etc. - anyplace you can stick a key. Recommendations?

Disassemble, apply the moly-based GunKote, bake thoroughly, reassemble.

Or graphite, just not as permanent.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »

What's a Good Lock Lubricant?

I read that as "Good Luck Lubricant".  

Brings something completely different to mind.   >:D

Dyslexia for pun and frofit.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
If you want to make sure that you get the graphite into the nooks and crannies in your lock, you can mix powdered graphite with some 90% alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and inject it into the lock with a syringe.

That's a great idea, thanks!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
What Mike said. Graphite lube. Wet or dry, because it's the same thing.

Anything that evaporates cleanly will work fine. But mostly I shoot some dry graphite lube into the lock from every opening, gently shaking for about 30 seconds to distribute it throughout the lock, and then bang the lock on a chunk of wood a couple times in case of clumps or whatnot. This has worked well on several hundred locks.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
"Anything that evaporates cleanly will work fine."

Naptha/Zippo fluid is also a good carrier.

"But mostly I shoot some dry graphite lube into the lock from every opening, gently shaking for about 30 seconds to distribute it throughout the lock, and then bang the lock on a chunk of wood a couple times in case of clumps or whatnot."

Not an option for the lock on my mailbox.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
Our Scout trailer and truck are parked outside, so the padlocks are out in the elements.  Do you all still recommend a dry lubricant of these locks?  I was thinking that something with water displacement properties would be a plus.  In the past, a shot or two of WD-40 seemed to work for me...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
Our Scout trailer and truck are parked outside, so the padlocks are out in the elements.  Do you all still recommend a dry lubricant of these locks?  I was thinking that something with water displacement properties would be a plus.  In the past, a shot or two of WD-40 seemed to work for me...

WD 40 will gunk up.

Stick with the dry graphite. We have a bunch of exposed gate locks and other padlocks at work graphite works.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
"Anything that evaporates cleanly will work fine."

Naptha/Zippo fluid is also a good carrier.

"But mostly I shoot some dry graphite lube into the lock from every opening, gently shaking for about 30 seconds to distribute it throughout the lock, and then bang the lock on a chunk of wood a couple times in case of clumps or whatnot."

Not an option for the lock on my mailbox.

Low grade naptha can leave an unpleasant oily residue on stuff. While not bad by itself, said residue seems to attract grit and dirt. Lighter fluid works well, however.

Re your mailbox locks, generally, I unmount the lock before doing maintenance. Only exception is padlocks.

WD-40 works fine, assuming you're fine with replacing the locks every 5-10 years depending. It will leave oily residue that attracts foreign matter.

You want to use PTFE if you're using an expensive lock or want all weather protection. Graphite will be fine for outdoors, just remember that a little goes a long way. Too much is bad. Compressed air is also your friend for blowing out foreign matter before lube. Dry silicone lubricant works, but I rarely use it. Graphite for most locks, Teflon/PTFE for the top shelf.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

You want to use PTFE if you're using an expensive lock or want all weather protection. Graphite will be fine for outdoors, just remember that a little goes a long way. Too much is bad. Compressed air is also your friend for blowing out foreign matter before lube. Dry silicone lubricant works, but I rarely use it. Graphite for most locks, Teflon/PTFE for the top shelf.

That brings up a question for you then, Sir high end lock expert. One of the locks I need to lube is my front door deadbolt, which is one of these:

https://securitysnobs.com/BiLock-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt.html

That "dual key" or whatever you call it can get a little stubborn. Not anything I have to force at all, I just notice it kinda sorta sticks a little when pulling in and out and sometimes when turning. PTFE for that one, or is graphite okie doke? What's the deal with PTFE anyways?

Also for anyone, is there any need for caution when lubing the ignition switch on newer vehicles that use the smart keys? The other thing that's a pain in my ass right now is getting the key in the ignition on the new 4Runner, probably just because it's new.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
WD-40 works fine, assuming you're fine with replacing the locks every 5-10 years depending. It will leave oily residue that attracts foreign matter.

This, though on locks that are reasonably easy to field strip, I've soaked them with the DuPont Teflon lube, let it dry, then cycled everything a few times to make sure it doesn't bind up after the carrier evaporates.  Whatever the carrier in that stuff is, it's also an excellent solvent for all sorts of grease and crud.  I've used it on pistols that had been thoroughly cleaned with Brakleen and was still able to wipe away more carbon with the excess lube.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
I keep seeing it as Glock lube... :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
That brings up a question for you then, Sir high end lock expert. One of the locks I need to lube is my front door deadbolt, which is one of these:

https://securitysnobs.com/BiLock-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt.html

That "dual key" or whatever you call it can get a little stubborn. Not anything I have to force at all, I just notice it kinda sorta sticks a little when pulling in and out and sometimes when turning. PTFE for that one, or is graphite okie doke? What's the deal with PTFE anyways?

Also for anyone, is there any need for caution when lubing the ignition switch on newer vehicles that use the smart keys? The other thing that's a pain in my ass right now is getting the key in the ignition on the new 4Runner, probably just because it's new.

Yes. Either will work. Very little water gets into your lock. It's purposefully designed specifically for that factor. You'd be better off disassembling it, blowing it out with either canned air or a compressor set to low-to-mid psi and then lubing with either.

PTFE is a fancy way of saying Teflon without being sued. Don't heat the PTFE lube above 400F, it might kill birds. Teflon reduces friction and dirt resistance; increases wear protection and water repellency.
MSDS: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/msds_index.html

No. Remember, less is more. Little goes a long way. Don't fill your keyway with any foreign matter.  ;)