Author Topic: What's a Good Lock Lubricant?  (Read 4416 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What's a Good Lock Lubricant?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
Got it. Gracias Rev.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »
I read that as "Good Luck Lubricant".  

ditto on that.  combined with the thread on gun oils i was thinking, "if his shooting is that bad, how will a different oil help?".
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
I keep seeing it as Glock lube... :)

Muriatic acid works well for those.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
Yes. Either will work. Very little water gets into your lock. It's purposefully designed specifically for that factor. You'd be better off disassembling it, blowing it out with either canned air or a compressor set to low-to-mid psi and then lubing with either.

PTFE is a fancy way of saying Teflon without being sued. Don't heat the PTFE lube above 400F, it might kill birds. Teflon reduces friction and dirt resistance; increases wear protection and water repellency.
MSDS: http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/msds_index.html

No. Remember, less is more. Little goes a long way. Don't fill your keyway with any foreign matter.  ;)

What are you, some kind of damn furriner? More is always better.

Install one of these on that bad boy.

Then fill 'er up!

=D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »
Okay Rev, here's one for you (or anyone else in the know).  That Scout trailer has a back door and side door.  Two padlocks, keyed the same.  Side door is a little more sheltered, lock works fine.  Back door is exposed, and I can get the key in, but I can't get it to turn.  As far as I see, options are:
1. Shoot WD-40 up there and see if it works (then plan on replacing both in a while), or
2. Break out my dad's old universal master key from his days as a school principal (set of bolt cutters), and get a new set of locks now. 

Any other suggestions?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Tri-flow is better than WD40 for anything except use as a solvent. No idea about the lock question though.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Okay Rev, here's one for you (or anyone else in the know).  That Scout trailer has a back door and side door.  Two padlocks, keyed the same.  Side door is a little more sheltered, lock works fine.  Back door is exposed, and I can get the key in, but I can't get it to turn.  As far as I see, options are:
1. Shoot WD-40 up there and see if it works (then plan on replacing both in a while), or
2. Break out my dad's old universal master key from his days as a school principal (set of bolt cutters), and get a new set of locks now. 

Any other suggestions?

You'd need an impressive amount of corrosion or grit to make the key unable to turn. Give it a whirl. WD-40 or anything else. Could pour in water, or compressed air, or solvents/cleaner/CLP/WD-40. You don't have much to lose from the sound of it.

More likely problem is a tumbler or spring got knocked out of position, damaged or is in an area where it should not be. That would lock up a padlock tight as a drum. If that is the case, unless you have a high end padlock with replaceable cylinder, toss the padlock and replace.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
"Re your mailbox locks, generally, I unmount the lock before doing maintenance. Only exception is padlocks."

The lock is riveted in place. I'm not drilling the rivets out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
Hey Rev, thoughts on using an ultrasonic cleaner on lock mechanisms?  Seems like it'd be ideal.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
I read that as "Good Luck Lubricant".  

Brings something completely different to mind.   >:D

Dyslexia for pun and frofit.

Oh good. It wasn't just me...

(this thread title has been driving me nuts)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
Hey Rev, thoughts on using an ultrasonic cleaner on lock mechanisms?  Seems like it'd be ideal.

Never tried it, actually. Give it a whirl and let us know how it performs
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »
You'd need an impressive amount of corrosion or grit to make the key unable to turn. Give it a whirl. WD-40 or anything else. Could pour in water, or compressed air, or solvents/cleaner/CLP/WD-40. You don't have much to lose from the sound of it.

More likely problem is a tumbler or spring got knocked out of position, damaged or is in an area where it should not be. That would lock up a padlock tight as a drum. If that is the case, unless you have a high end padlock with replaceable cylinder, toss the padlock and replace.

Thanks, Rev.  It's a big box store 2-pack of padlocks, so not expensive enough to do anything more than cut it off and replace it if it doesn't work reliably.  That said, it's a Scout troop, so saving a few bucks by spraying it isn't a bad thing at all...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
regular motor oil will keep an exposed padlock functioning for a long while.  lately i've been using a rubber shield over them as well. (tack on a piece of old innertube or flashing as a flap that will cover the lock.)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
The padlocks on the trailers I haul are often left open, exposed to rain and road grit in the slipstream.  In winter they pick up a lot of ground tuffa/lava and salt.  Dealing with binding locks requires a bit of liquid volume.  I use CLP.  It has also worked well on household and car door locks. 
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

sm

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
Agree with previous post.

I've never used graphite.

This comes from lock and safe persons over the decades that maintained safes. I used to be in a work where I dealt with safes all the time. I do mean safes, with time locks, multiple dials, day keys, etc. Some were walk in safes. The earliest caveat I can recall as a kid was to never, ever, use oil with graphite, as this makes a lapping compound, and reeks havoc on the locking mechanism.

Professional safe guy was telling me this, as he was installing a new system for a small safe, that he had to break into, as the safe "locked itself down". Graphite and oil had just worn out two pins, and hence caused the lock down.

As stated previously, a good CLP will flush out a padlock.
I have used mineral spirits to clean a padlock, that was getting gritty, such as happens here on the farm, using air, blow out, apply a CLP, then use air to distribute evenly, and to get rid of excess.

I have also used lighter fluid such as Zippo/Ronson  in a pinch to get a gritty padlock to work, as no CLP or anything else was on hand.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 05:24:49 AM »
Lock-EZE

Which is basically powdered graphite.
Any kind of powdered/squirt-type graphite.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »
Any kind of powdered/squirt-type graphite.

Doesn't really matter. I tend to go mid-shelf. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive. Graphite is graphite.

sm is correct that oil and graphite is a bad combination. Some people stick with oil for that reason. Which is fine, but it does leave a residue that attracts grit. Cleaning with any evaporative solvent (alcohol is good) will mostly fix that issue. Water or air also works. I do use CLP on practice locks, but they stay in a toolbox indoors and I also tend to toss my practice locks before they'd theoretically gunk up on grit. Locksport newbies are hell on cheap consumer locks. I use graphite on locks that I know are not oiled, are in regular usage, but not experiencing weather extremes.

Teflon is the bestest, but honestly not worth the price unless you have expensive locks or want the highest level of quantity. You can spray in as much as you want without gunking up the lock.