Author Topic: JW's just got me!  (Read 5898 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: JW's just got me!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
From what I remember that isn't quite the 'gotcha' people think it is. Some go to heaven, the rest remain on the New Earth. (Someone will tell us if I'm wrong)

I don't know if there are an JWs on the board, don't wish to cause offence, but the whole blood thing is the weird bit for me.

I've studied their religion...

144,000 will go to heaven to assist in ruling the Earth.
The ones chosen to remain on Earth will live forever and work towards returning Earth to its original paradise condition.

They abstain from blood (no transfusions) because, like so many other religions, they took a passage from the Bible and ran with it.

I studied with the saner folk, not the splinter sect who believed they wouldn't come to harm when they stepped onto freeways.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »
Why do people say that they "studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
A buddy of mine had two (a trainer and his apprentice) show up.  He invited them and listened to their speech.  He then pulled out his trusty copy of the Bible and started going through their claims in comparison to scripture.  After a little while, the trainer pulled his apprentice (who had started agreeing with my friend) out of there.

I also had a personal "encounter" at the Ink & Blood exhibit.  A JW pulled me and my future ex GF over to the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit and explained how we could see the word "Jehovah"in there.  I was too polite to explain to her that the word did not exist in that written form at the time.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »

A buddy of mine had two (a trainer and his apprentice) show up.  He invited them and listened to their speech.  He then pulled out his trusty copy of the Bible and started going through their claims in comparison to scripture.  After a little while, the trainer pulled his apprentice (who had started agreeing with my friend) out of there.

:angel: That's how my maternal grandmother handled them.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »

Because they studied the teachings of that religion, with it's practitioners? ??? Seems kinda self-explanatory to me.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
Door-knocking Mormons pissed me off.

So these two cute girls show up, tell me they are Mormons, I let them in and listen, and then they tell me they don't do the polygamy thing any more...

Bait and switch, I tell ya...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 01:19:15 PM »
Because they studied the teachings of that religion, with it's practitioners? ??? Seems kinda self-explanatory to me.....
I have heard a number of people say that they "studied with" JW's (see Ladysmith's post).  I have never heard anyone say that they "studied with" the Baptists or the Catholics or the Muslims or the Bahai.

From what I hear, that usually ends badly for the Christian, as the JW's tend to be well-versed in their favorite scriptures and the apologetic for their point of view.  Glad to hear it (sort of) works sometimes, though.   =)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »

I dunno...because "studied on Jehovah's Witnesses" or "studied under Jehovah's Witnesses" sounds weird?

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
TTIWWP?

=D
One day at a time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
So does that mean you went to some Bible studies, or what? 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
I've never heard it for the various Christian denominations, but for utterly different faith systems "studied with" is a standard format. I'd have thought any college student would know that. Geez, am I gonna have to explain kosher to you next? :rolleyes:

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
It's fistful: you'll probably have to explain everything to him eventually...

Had a group of "street preachers" try talking me into going to their church one night. Told 'em I'd be happy to go to their church, if they'd also try mine. They liked the idea, until I explained that I'm pagan, and my "church" included dancing naked out in the forest... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
It's fistful: you'll probably have to explain everything to him eventually...

Had a group of "street preachers" try talking me into going to their church one night. Told 'em I'd be happy to go to their church, if they'd also try mine. They liked the idea, until I explained that I'm pagan, and my "church" included dancing naked out in the forest... ;)

I've often wondered how that works. If I was in your area and visiting you, would I need to strip and frolick as well, or do you make exceptions for visitors? Also, isn't WI a little chilly for the "naked dancing" kind of pagan?  :lol:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
I've never heard it for the various Christian denominations, but for utterly different faith systems "studied with" is a standard format. I'd have thought any college student would know that. Geez, am I gonna have to explain kosher to you next? :rolleyes:

But then I would have to denounce you for some inscrutable offense known only to Mike Irwin. 

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
>I've often wondered how that works. If I was in your area and visiting you, would I need to strip and frolick as well, or do you make exceptions for visitors?<

For most, it's a "however you're comfortable" thing.

In the case of attractive ladies, no exceptions are allowed. In your case, we'd want you to keep your clothes on (for everyone else's comfort).

> Also, isn't WI a little chilly for the "naked dancing" kind of pagan? <

Nah... you just have to have balls (even if they DO hide up inside your pelvis because of the temp)... :laugh:
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Door-knocking Mormons pissed me off.

So these two cute girls show up, tell me they are Mormons, I let them in and listen, and then they tell me they don't do the polygamy thing any more...

Bait and switch, I tell ya...

Ahhh, polygamy.....the sin that punishes itself.....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
From what I hear, that usually ends badly for the Christian, as the JW's tend to be well-versed in their favorite scriptures and the apologetic for their point of view.  Glad to hear it (sort of) works sometimes, though.   =)

Not if you know the Book backwards, forwards, and inside out like Grandmother did. Until buzz_knox mentioned his buddy doing it I thought she was the only person who could make JWs get up and leave. Well, without threatening them.

A portable phone I had for several years was fun to play with because the greeting was recorded with the handset. I put snippets of movie dialogue on it, once used the "loud stereo in the background to fool people into thinking I was really on the phone" gag, even had a friend who's fluent in German help me with putting a boilerplate greeting in German on the machine once. It kept the nuisance calls to a minimum in the days before the Do Not Call list.

My favorite, though, was when I was Web-surfing and happened on a .wav file of an M-60 MMG firing a burst. I downloaded it and made a new greeting right away. I recorded a couple of bursts followed by me screaming, "FOR THE LAST TIME! NO, I DON'T WANT A COPY OF THE WATCHTOWER! GO AWAY!", followed by another burst. My sister's husband called and heard it and laughed so hard he couldn't leave a message. I got a lot of positive feedback on that one.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.