Author Topic: I Would like some suggestions for a new handgun  (Read 7077 times)

slugcatcher

• friend
I Would like some suggestions for a new handgun
« on: May 19, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
I'm looking for a new semi-auto. I'm searching for a replacement to my old Ruger P-85. It won't be for concealed carry but I have nothing against a compact model. Here is what I'm looking for:
Accurate
Reliable
9mm ( I have a couple of .45's already and I don't want a .40)
Ambi safety
Ambi mag release
No magazine safety
Drop free magazine
Hi-cap magazines that are reliable and affordable
DA/SA
Under $600

I prefer a hammer to a striker but striker fired won't be ruled out automatically. The CZ-85 Combat seems to be what I'm looking for but they're hard to find and usually over $600. Anything else? 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: I Would like some suggestions for a new handgun
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
If you aren't stuck on SA/DA then a Springfield XD-9 would work for you. I got one and love it.

If you really want SA/DA then look at the Beretta 92. My baby brother has one and likes it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »
I second the springfield xd, I have a subcompact 9mm and it works quite well.

Also, in the sa/da department check out the beretta px4, I also have one of those and it is quite nice.  I haven't had a single malf. in over 1000 rounds.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »
I currently have the Beretta Px4 on my hip. (Mine's .40, but they are available in 9mm too)

It fits all those except for the ambi-mag release, but I'm fairly certain it is reversable.

I've not had a problem with it: it's more accurate than I am and it points very well.

As for reliability, I've not had a single problem. However, this was a Christmas present and with the cost of ammo, I have not put even a thousand rounds through it. I've not read of any issues with reliability, though.

Worth checking out, at least.

Also, the recoil in my Beretta (.40) is more manageable than in my Hi-Power (9mm).

Keep in mind, there's not a lot of recoil on the Hi-Power.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:10:29 PM »
Walther P99.
One day at a time.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »
Consider a Smith&Wesson M&P. I would choose the XD over the M&P series, but they are both good and it might come down to ergonomics.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »
Why not stick with the Rugers?  The P95 will use the same mags and do everything you're asking.

If not, I've heard good things about the FN pistols...esp. the FNP9.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
Well, I just bought an older Smith Model 18 on gun broker...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
Why would anyone want a DA/SA semi-auto?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Why would anyone want a DA/SA semi-auto?

I love my CZ-75.  DA/SA.  I used to think like you, but I've realized that I can now carry an automatic in a safety-less condition.  Yank and squeeze.   :angel: Er.  Um.  Pull and shoot.   =D Wait, that's not right either.  Present and fire.  That's it.

I have the option of carrying cocked and locked with it, but I like the simplicity of pull and shoot with the first round.  A little bit of practice, and that first round gets in COM out to 25 feet easily enough.  All the subsequent single action shots are nice and easy too.  It's a function of learning the feel of trigger reset after that first shot.

slugcatcher:  I don't think the CZ85 has an ambi mag release.  And my 75 does not drop-free.  The mags bind slightly against the exposed portion of the rubber grip panels inside the frame.  Changing the grip panels will allow them to drop free, I believe.  Perhaps some judicious use of sandpaper as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
Springfield XD-9 or Ruger P-8x / 9x, which ever better fits you hand.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »
Beretta 92:cool:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
I think an EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness will give you everything but the ambi mag release. I just bought an Elite Match (SAO) in .38 Super. No range time yet, but it's very well put together.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
CZ 75 P01
Very similar to the CZ 75 compact.  I really like this pistol.  It has been 100% reliable for me.  It isn't quite as light or as small as some, but it is very concealable and light enough with a 14 round capacity.  I'm not sure if it fits all your conditions.  Mine has a decocker and no safety.  I prefer that, but it will be your pistol.  You would have to shop around to see if you can get one for under $600.  They are scarce enough down here that the price is not very low. 

Other than that, I like my XD45 and people say good things about the 9mm also.  Nothing wrong with a Ruger SR9 I guess either.

Does anyone know about the Beretta Storm pistols or the FNP 9mm?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
If you aren't stuck on SA/DA then a Springfield XD-9 would work for you. I got one and love it.

If you really want SA/DA then look at the Beretta 92. My baby brother has one and likes it.

I second charby's advice.   An XD or an XDm would probably do you fine.  I have one in .40 that I'm very partial to.  92 is a bit more bulky and has more pointy bits, but it's a fine weapon.  Keep a set of good replacement springs handy, especially for the mags.  If you intend on conceal carrying it, I very strongly recommend the XD.

Even the State Department glowingly endorses the XD.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Here we go.

I really like the way the M&P feels but it has a magazine safety.
I've tried the XD and the Beretta 92 and it they just don't feel right to me.  
The PX-4 is on the list to try.
I may go look at Ruger. My P-85 has been dead reliable for over 3000rds. It just always felt cheap and has a crappy trigger. Maybe subconsciously I didn't want another cheap feeling handgun. I also didn't know I could use my P-85 mags in a P-95.
Why DA/SA? It's what I'm comfortable with I guess.
The CZ-85 Combat model has drop free mags but no ambi safety. Dangit. It does have an ambi slide release but that's not a must have.
EAA. I hear as much good as bad on them. They have the same problem as CZ around here. Nobody carries them in stock. I hate buying sight unseen.

So far the the PX-4 and the P95 have been added to the list. Maybe an ambi safety isn't that big of a deal. I've gotten kind of used to not having it on my 220. Being a southpaw I'd just like to have a southpaw friendly handgun for once.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 04:23:19 PM »
Just grit yur teeth; pony up the extra dough and get a Sig P226 Elite.

Problem...

Solved...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »
I really like the way the M&P feels but it has a magazine safety.

Slug,

Unless you're in one of those states, you can get the M&P without the mag safety.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:39:28 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
The M&P might fit your criteria.

I'm looking for a new semi-auto. I'm searching for a replacement to my old Ruger P-85. It won't be for concealed carry but I have nothing against a compact model. Here is what I'm looking for:
Accurate  Check
Reliable   Check
9mm ( I have a couple of .45's already and I don't want a .40)  Check
Ambi safety Check.. I think that is an option if you want a manual safety.  No safety is standard.
Ambi mag release Check, if reversable counts
No magazine safety  Check, if you don't live in MA or a similar state
Drop free magazine  Check
Hi-cap magazines that are reliable and affordable  Check. 17 rounds enough?
DA/SA Not quite.  More like a Glock or XD.  Consistant, but not DA or SA
Under $600  Check

I have become a fan of the M&P series.  That's a big endorsement from me considering that I normally only shoot 1911s and I don't care for S&W's "former" policies regarding the HUD agreement.

Just this year I bought a S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm.  It differs from the standard full-size by having a 5 inch barrel, fiber-optic front sight, and an improved trigger.  Even though I greatly prefer 1911s over other guns, the M&P certainly works well for me.  I have less than 500 rounds through my pistol, yet I managed to qualify Expert with it at the local IDPA classifier and my total time was only 2 seconds behind my 1911 time even though I've been shooting the 1911 for 8 years.  I intend to buy another one soon, probably the standard full-size model.

When I decide that I wanted a plastic-fantastic pistol (sorry, JMB), I originally had my eye on the XDm series.  After a head-to-head shoot off between the XDm and the M&P, the M&P was the clear winner for me.  It fit my hand better, I liked the trigger more, and it pointed more naturally for me.

See if you can pick the two you like most and shoot them head to head.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
I love my CZ-75.  DA/SA.  I used to think like you, but I've realized that I can now carry an automatic in a safety-less condition

I do that all the time, every time I carry my M&P or XD. To me, there is no point in the world to a DA/SA design, at all.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »
Slug,

Unless you're in one of those states, you can get the M&P without the mag safety.

The magazine safety in an M&P can be removed quite easily with a punch and a replacement longer spring such as one from a ball point pen.  All the spring does is hold a part vertical, it does not need to be of any particular grade.  IANAL regards to whether this is legal anywhere or where you are nor am I a gunsmith, but it is not at all technically challenging.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »
HK usp
sig 226
beretta 92fs (heavy)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Reifen

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
Springfield Armory XDm
HK USP
Beretta 92f
S&W M&P

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
The CZ-85 Combat model has drop free mags but no ambi safety. Dangit. It does have an ambi slide release but that's not a must have.
EAA. I hear as much good as bad on them. They have the same problem as CZ around here. Nobody carries them in stock. I hate buying sight unseen.

So far the the PX-4 and the P95 have been added to the list. Maybe an ambi safety isn't that big of a deal. I've gotten kind of used to not having it on my 220. Being a southpaw I'd just like to have a southpaw friendly handgun for once.

My 75 Stainless came with an ambi-safety.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
I do that all the time, every time I carry my M&P or XD. To me, there is no point in the world to a DA/SA design, at all.
I often keep a pistol laying around nearby when I am at home (no kids) and not geared up with a holster.  At times at least, I just like having a pistol with a longer/stronger trigger pull.  I like my XD45 and XDM9 too though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge