Author Topic: New 500cc Harley-Davidson?  (Read 8111 times)

brimic

• friends
New 500cc Harley-Davidson?
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »
http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/HW-india-will-soon-get-a-low-cost-500cc-harley-davidson-bike-4369967-NOR.html

The article doesn't say if the bikes will be imported into the US, as I don't think that information has been released yet.
My wife has been working on this project to get these new bikes into production for almost a year now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: New 500cc Harley-Davidson?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
Waiting for the article to load -- a clone of the old single cylinder Harley?

looks like not

The bike isa expected to be powered by the V-Twin engine as in most of the Harley Davidson motorbikes, and will get 40 bhp of power and 45 Nm of torque. It will be light weight, will sport a low seat height and supple throttle and braking he informed.

What is "supple breaking"?  I'm not sure that would be a good thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
So much for "made in America" motorcycles. ;/
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Harley hasn't been American made for a long time.

This won't come to the US.

The "lakh" mentioned in the article is a unit of 100,000, so the bike will sell for 300,000 to 400,000 rupees.  That's about 4700 to 6300 dollars.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
I also have a hard time accepting that Harley knows how to make a 500cc engine that puts out 40bhp, since the 883cc engine only puts out about 53bhp.  If they have such an engine, then they are probably going to introduce larger versions of it and update the power available in their American market bikes after testing overseas on smaller products.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/harley-davidson-is-this-your-500cc-bike-66339.html
http://rideapart.com/2013/09/2014-harley-davidson-500-photos/
If this is the real thing in one of the above pics, it looks more like a mini v-rod than a sportster. The cylinder bank angles look similar to a v-rod, and no pushrod tubes. If the twin has an overhead cam arrangement with 4 valves/cyl, it could very well make 40 hp.

Barack Obama

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
I also have a hard time accepting that Harley knows how to make a 500cc engine that puts out 40bhp, since the 883cc engine only puts out about 53bhp.  If they have such an engine, then they are probably going to introduce larger versions of it and update the power available in their American market bikes after testing overseas on smaller products.

883cc and 53hp???

Wow that is awful (for a gasoline engine). For an 1800rpm rated heavy duty diesel, its about right.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:15:18 PM by drewtam »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
883cc and 53hp???

Wow that is awful.

Yeah, HD V-twins (and cruisers in general) are pretty poorly engineered.

I'm eagerly awaiting when I can get out of my 750cc/45hp Honda Shadow and onto an 800cc/100hp Triumph Tiger.

This whole "low" thing in motorcycles needs to get stomped on the head, too.  Low = less maneuverable.  Yeah, I've seen the motocop owning the training range video on youtube.  Exceptions exist, but that same rider on a bike that DIDN'T have floorboards 4" off the ground would be even more nimble. 
--Lysander Spooner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
They are engineered just fine, for 1950's. Thing is, Harley isn't so much a motorcycle company as a nostalgia and lifestyle company. I've read that they make something like 80% of their revenue off merchandise and licensing rather than actual bikes and parts.

I didn't pay much attention to this until a little while ago I came across an ad on Craigslist where the seller was talking up a highly modified, super-duper-souped-up Harley megachopper that was putting out a whopping 93 horsepower. This thing was in the high $20K range. And here I am, with my 30-year old Yamaha making 130 from the factory...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
There isn't much engineering involved.
The sportster has only gone through 3-4 major changes in the nearly 60 years its been in production.
 People may sneer at it, but if they can sell every single copy they make year in and year out without much expense on R&D for nearly 60 years, why fix what's not broken?
FWIW, Honda makes a very close facsimile of the bike and that sells well too.
HP? *shrug* For about $2000, you can bore the jugs out, add a set of Buell XB heads, put a better exhaust on it and make 100 hp, if that's your thing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:29:44 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
An abomination unto the eyes of $deity.

Actually, not a bad looking little bike, I suspect they would sell in the US IF they were made built assembled here from at least close to the same percentage of US made parts as the big bikes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
My old Shovelhead Harley has a very poor power-to-displacement ratio.

The power-to-weight ratio is certainly worse.

Ask me if I care.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
People may sneer at it, but if they can sell every single copy they make year in and year out without much expense on R&D for nearly 60 years, why fix what's not broken?

Because Harley has received, what, $3 billion or so in .gov bailouts over the years?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
Balog, you just summarized the recurring American automotive industry mantra - lather, rinse, repeat.   :lol:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
Balog, you just summarized the recurring American automotive industry mantra - lather, rinse, repeat.   :lol:

Which is why I own a Toyota.  ;)

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
Which is why I own a Toyota.

Which I guarantee took 'stimulus' in the form of loans, not to mention the taxpayer subsidized hybrids.

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
Which I guarantee took 'stimulus' in the form of loans, not to mention the taxpayer subsidized hybrids.

As well as having completely brand new manufacturing facilities bought and paid for by SCAP (US tax base) in the 1940's and 1950's, while American competition had whatever they could merit from the value of their goods.

All those keireistsu/zaibatsu industrial concerns got completely rebuilt from scratch.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

What loans? Prove your guarantee please.

As well as having completely brand new manufacturing facilities bought and paid for by SCAP (US tax base) in the 1940's and 1950's, while American competition had whatever they could merit from the value of their goods.

All those keireistsu/zaibatsu industrial concerns got completely rebuilt from scratch.

Yeah, cause the rebuilding efforts post-WWII are exactly the same as the auto industry bailouts.  ;/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »

or a property tax holiday to build a plant at Xyzville, USA.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
or a property tax holiday to build a plant at Xyzville, USA.

Given that XYZville would easily recoup that in both later property taxes as well as the income/sales tax from the folks employed at the plant, I find it hard to view that with anything other than happiness. Also, have we really reached a point where "Not going to take your money" and "Going to take someone else's money and give it to you" are viewed as the same?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
Because Harley has received, what, $3 billion or so in .gov bailouts over the years?
AND the protective import tariff.

If I were to buy an American bike now, I'd probably get a Victory. However, I can afford neither Harley nor Victory, and so the point is moot.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
@Brimic, agreed. Commence operation "Redirection"

Repeat, "Redirection" is a Go!

I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 07:57:03 PM »
Jeebus, can't there be a thread about H-D motorcycles without the typical douchebaggery?

So Harleys with douchbaggery is typical huh?

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
My old Shovelhead Harley has a very poor power-to-displacement ratio.

The power-to-weight ratio is certainly worse.

Ask me if I care.
Exactly.  I had my share of Hondas back in the 80s.  Reliable, fast and nimble.  Now I ride a 1999 HD Heritage Softail and wouldn't trade it for three Hondas.

Question:  if Harleys are so bad, why does everybody clone them?