Author Topic: New 500cc Harley-Davidson?  (Read 8113 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: New 500cc Harley-Davidson?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
Exactly.  I had my share of Hondas back in the 80s.  Reliable, fast and nimble.  Now I ride a 1999 HD Heritage Softail and wouldn't trade it for three Hondas.

Question:  if Harleys are so bad, why does everybody clone them?
God alone knows.  I just wish there were more classic UJM's to chose from.  Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki are all wasting valuable resources making Harley-wannabe V-twin cruisers.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Lee

• friend

Levant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/HW-india-will-soon-get-a-low-cost-500cc-harley-davidson-bike-4369967-NOR.html

The article doesn't say if the bikes will be imported into the US, as I don't think that information has been released yet.
My wife has been working on this project to get these new bikes into production for almost a year now.

They made a 50cc bike in the 60's, perhaps even before; I just remember wanting one but couldn't come up with the 300 dollar price tag.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »
God alone knows.  I just wish there were more classic UJM's to chose from.  Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki are all wasting valuable resources making Harley-wannabe V-twin cruisers.

Remember they make what they can sell a lot of and profit from.

Triumph is making some classic looking bikes, you could always get one of theirs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Remember they make what they can sell a lot of and profit from.

Yeah, T-shirts. =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 12:33:44 AM »
They are not. They actually do make them. There are vastly more bikes out there than what gets imported into US. Yamaha had the XJR in 400 and 1200/1300 flavors since 1998, but never sold them in either North or South America.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
My old Shovelhead Harley has a very poor power-to-displacement ratio.

The power-to-weight ratio is certainly worse.

Ask me if I care.

+1!  As far as poor power to displacement?  I'm thinking of buying one of these instead of rebuilding my engine next go around.

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Evolution-Big-Twin/Engines/V111-Complete-Assembled-Engine-p21079.html

Have fun trying to buy a complete engine for your UJM now, let alone 20 or 30 years after production stops!   :P

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »
+1!  As far as poor power to displacement?  I'm thinking of buying one of these instead of rebuilding my engine next go around.

http://www.sscycle.com/product/Evolution-Big-Twin/Engines/V111-Complete-Assembled-Engine-p21079.html

Have fun trying to buy a complete engine for your UJM now, let alone 20 or 30 years after production stops!   :P

I think was a thread a little while ago about someone wanting a imported bike from 1970's and parts were almost impossible to get. Got a 1940's HD?, they got parts.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36:22 AM »
Got a 1940's HD?, they got parts

Which was a major factor in my switch to HD almost 25 year ago. At the time I had a Suzuki GS1000GL (shaft drive). It was a great bike, low maintenance, almost as low maintenance as my Harleys, almost as easy to work on as my Harley's. The bike was only 10 years old. Everytie I needed a part for it the dealer woul have to order it, for oil and air filters to speedo cables and brake pads.
I've never had any problems getting maintenance items for either of the Harleys I've owned.
It's not as bad as it used to be but the aftermarket support simply doesn't exist for 25-30+ year old UJMs the way it does for HD.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »
I think was a thread a little while ago about someone wanting a imported bike from 1970's and parts were almost impossible to get. Got a 1940's HD?, they got parts.

They ought to, they're the same parts the current bikes use.

[popcorn]

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
There are vastly more bikes out there than what gets imported into US. Yamaha had the XJR in 400 and 1200/1300 flavors since 1998, but never sold them in either North or South America.

I had no idea that they were still making the XJ line, I'd want one of those....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
It's not as bad as it used to be but the aftermarket support simply doesn't exist for 25-30+ year old UJMs the way it does for HD.

For the worst case parts scenario, H-D still has a few people in their factories that reproduce any part that has ever gone on a H-D bike, but I don't think that service is very cheap.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:55:19 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
While my FJ isn't quite a UJM, I can buy an engine for it without a problem. I can even buy one that's been souped up and is 1300+ cc. The XJR 1200 engine is mostly interchangeable with the FJ (except the fin shape) and Legends and Bandolero racing are based entirely around the FJ engine.

I'm kinda puzzled why you'd need to buy a whole engine for a bike, unless you are racing it. I've taken a ride on a Yamaha with 100K on the clock, and it ran just fine.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »

I'm kinda puzzled why you'd need to buy a whole engine for a bike, unless you are racing it. I've taken a ride on a Yamaha with 100K on the clock, and it ran just fine.

Want more Cubic Inches!

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/data-visualization/federal-reserve-emergency-lending/#/Toyota_Motor_Corp/?total=true&mcp=true&mc=true&taf=false&cpff=false&pdcf=false&tslf=false&stomo=false&amlf=false&dw=false/

Jeebus, can't there be a thread about H-D motorcycles without the typical douchebaggery?

If you look up the thread, my "douchebaggery" (classy, thanks) was in response to your snippy little bitchiness about people who are too stupid to like Harleys. You asked a question, I answered it. If you're going to whine about the answer, don't ask the question.

And that's disappointing about Toyota.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
And, thanks to the personal turn this one took, that's all she wrote (rode?), folks!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"