Author Topic: A culture of parasites  (Read 2004 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
A culture of parasites
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:29:25 AM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: A culture of parasites
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 04:45:04 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:51:11 AM »
Interesting, but he takes things a bit far, and sounds too much like lefty complaints of "cultural appropriation.' He tries to get way too much mileage out of the fact that people don't like a film reboot that hasn't even hit theaters yet. Also, for Christians who've grown up listening to rock, rap, etc; why wouldn't he expect them to use those forms of music? It's not as if American, Christian musicians grow up listening to Bach and Purcell, and then decide, hey, let's appropriate pop music! No, the Christians' musical tastes are shaped by their culture, and they're just making the music they understand. A lot of it is bad, but so is a lot of the non-Christian pop. Would sub-par musicians have done better by writing motets and masses? I suspect not. It certainly wouldn't be less parasitic. But what about Christian musicians like Michael Card, or the late Rich Mullins, that made great Christian music of the singer-songwriter/folk persuasion? The author's model doesn't explain that.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:11:21 AM »
Interesting, but he takes things a bit far, and sounds too much like lefty complaints of "cultural appropriation.' He tries to get way too much mileage out of the fact that people don't like a film reboot that hasn't even hit theaters yet. Also, for Christians who've grown up listening to rock, rap, etc; why wouldn't he expect them to use those forms of music? It's not as if American, Christian musicians grow up listening to Bach and Purcell, and then decide, hey, let's appropriate pop music! No, the Christians' musical tastes are shaped by their culture, and they're just making the music they understand. A lot of it is bad, but so is a lot of the non-Christian pop. Would sub-par musicians have done better by writing motets and masses? I suspect not. It certainly wouldn't be less parasitic. But what about Christian musicians like Michael Card, or the late Rich Mullins, that made great Christian music of the singer-songwriter/folk persuasion? The author's model doesn't explain that.

Yep, he went off the rails a bit in that area.
Creating religeous rock music isn't the same thing as swapping the actors out of a movie with actors of a different gender/sexual orientation, not even close. The author slammed 'Veggie Tales?' Seriously, I've never seen that show on TV, only on video, and its actually a pretty good (and hilarious) show.

Other than that, pretty good piece.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »
Yep, he went off the rails a bit in that area.
Creating religeous rock music isn't the same thing as swapping the actors out of a movie with actors of a different gender/sexual orientation, not even close. The author slammed 'Veggie Tales?' Seriously, I've never seen that show on TV, only on video, and its actually a pretty good (and hilarious) show.

Other than that, pretty good piece.

I've never seen the Veggie stuff, so I don't know what the deal is there. If anything, a show about a bunch of vegetables having adventures seems more original than most other cartoons, right?

I have seen Facing the Giants, and its sister films, multiple times. I've also seen the Titans movie, though it's never really held my interest, so maybe I'm forgetting some things. But to my knowledge, FtG resembles Titans about as much as it resembles every other sports film. So Christians shouldn't make sports films with a Christian viewpoint, just because sports films have already been made? To which other types of film, or entertainment genres, does this apply? What sorts of films should Christians feel comfortable making?

The Ghostbusters thing, maybe I shouldn't comment on it, as there seems to be something going on I just don't get. If the movie's no good, or the trailer wasn't appealing, fine. But the gender thing I can't see how anyone cares. The original had no female ghostbusters. This one has no male ghostbusters. Neither would seem to have any cultural signifance, except for the complaints people are making right now. What's the point of an escapist film if you're going to get so worked up about it?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
Actually thinking about that article for awhile, the author missed the mark and I fell into a trap of sorts....

Free market should decide what is appropriate or useful or not, not SJWs or <insert group>'s notion of forced fairness or equity. If people are willing to pay to see a female James Bond, a gay superhero, or a Christian pop band, it's none of the author's business, nor should people get butthurt and demand reparations if stupid ideas fail and cause bankruptcies.

Further, everyone likes to pile on the millennials, it's a fun sport, but they are a direct reflection of their parents' nihilistic and materialistic lifestyles- they being the baby boomers and gen-Xers.

Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
meh, he is right about some of the Christian stuff, he just used the wrong examples.

One real example of that had me hitting the roof years ago was a series of books for girls that was almost an exact match to The Baby Sitters Club, just with "christian values". Some of that stuff, from all of these idiots is just blatantly ripping *expletive deleted*it off for the sake of a message. A lot of the Christian Rock is like that. I mean, seriously, sometimes they just change the words and they barely do that.
However, the writer is way off on VeggieTales (which even I think is great) VeggieTales is in a class of it's own and, if anything, a couple mainstream cartoons picked up that theme (talking food is kind of funny)

The thing he is wrong about is the idea that this is a new thing. It's not. Reimagining, rewriting and recycling old ideas or themes or art for new generations is pretty much par for the course. Culture rarely comes up with something truly NEW. Furthermore, it's also very common for people who want to use propaganda to spread a message to adapt common culture for their cause (and they usually do it badly) SJW didn't come up with anything new, including their stupid tactics.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
meh, he is right about some of the Christian stuff, he just used the wrong examples.

One real example of that had me hitting the roof years ago was a series of books for girls that was almost an exact match to The Baby Sitters Club, just with "christian values". Some of that stuff, from all of these idiots is just blatantly ripping *expletive deleted*it off for the sake of a message. A lot of the Christian Rock is like that. I mean, seriously, sometimes they just change the words and they barely do that.

How dare the Christians sully The Baby-Sitters' Club, and Nickelback!  :P

My wife, she of the English degree, reads nothing but "Inspirational fiction."* I read a few pages out of one of them, and it's obvious no one even edited the book. This is, I think, a fairly successful author, and her prose was just poke-your-eyes-out terrible. Like something out of junior high, written by someone who's never read a book before.

*OK, OK, she's also reading a book by Temple Grandin, and she just finished something about Julia Childs. Still...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »

How dare the Christians sully The Baby-Sitters' Club, and Nickelback!  :P

My wife, she of the English degree, reads nothing but "Inspirational fiction."* I read a few pages out of one of them, and it's obvious no one even edited the book. This is, I think, a fairly successful author, and her prose was just poke-your-eyes-out terrible. Like something out of junior high, written by someone who's never read a book before.

*OK, OK, she's also reading a book by Temple Grandin, and she just finished something about Julia Childs. Still...

Fistful, I don't care what ideology is doing it, they can at least come up with their own crap. Stop making it all about Christians. The world actually does not revolve around your stupid religion.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
Um, if that's a joke, I didn't get it. I was responding to what you wrote about some Christian novellas and Christian rock.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
Every time you masturbate, a new Christian album is made using Nickelback songs.

Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Um, if that's a joke, I didn't get it. I was responding to what you wrote about some Christian novellas and Christian rock.

I don't like it when people blatantly rip *expletive deleted*it off. This is the same reason I trolled TWAW, because they ripped off Pax.

and Christians are not above doing this, so don't take your holier than thou attitude with me.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »
Every time you masturbate, a new Christian album is made using Nickelback songs.

A self-punishing sin in more ways than one.

I don't like it when people blatantly rip *expletive deleted*it off. This is the same reason I trolled TWAW, because they ripped off Pax.

and Christians are not above doing this, so don't take your holier than thou attitude with me.

I think less holier than thou and more a weak copy of a secular dudgeon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 09:54:31 PM »

Might want to look in a mirror for an attitude check Ms High Horse
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
Might want to look in a mirror for an attitude check Ms High Horse

Who did I rip off? Please tell me, because I really want to know.

Or are you just cranky because I called your religion stupid?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »

I think you may have misunderstood me.

Now here is something awful for us both to mock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88Dh0YkTHo

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:45 AM »
Who did I rip off? Please tell me, because I really want to know.

Or are you just cranky because I called your religion stupid?

You demonstrate a similar attitude to "holier than thou" pretty regularly. Especially regarding your progressive proclivities.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 07:15:33 AM »
[checks calendar] Is it Beat Up Liz Day?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
[checks calendar] Is it Beat Up Liz Day?

Apparently  ;/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
You demonstrate a similar attitude to "holier than thou" pretty regularly. Especially regarding your progressive proclivities.

If I'm a pot, than you are definitely a kettle.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »
Someone's cranky this morning. You might want to check yourself on the holier than thou BS on a whole list of topics before you start poking at other folk for it.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
What this article/author either fails to recognize, or chooses to ignore, is that tastes and styles change.  Art, music, literature, clothing, hairstyles...it all changes according to what the current style is, or what's in fashion.  The author focuses on Christian pop culture (cartoons) and music, but in large part this is about human beings.  Children dislike the music of their parents.  They dress differently.  The like different art.  Different TV shows.  It's the way it is.  Add to this the massive influence that social media and internet access have, and you start to see how trends and styles vary by the month, or even by the week.  All of this "cultural appropriation" crap seems to ignore this as well.  Complain all you want, but it's going to continue.  Christian rock and rap are not going anywhere.  Veggie Tales will continue until something...better or worse...comes along and takes its place.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark