Poll

Are you using Windows 11? Do you plan to? Do you like it?

Yes, I installed it and it works just fine!
3 (50%)
Yes, I installed it and it totally borked my computer!!!
0 (0%)
No, I will wait for a few released/patched before I commit.
2 (33.3%)
No, I'm staying with 10!
0 (0%)
Some version of UNIX once support for Windows 10 ends for me.
1 (16.7%)
Screw Microsoft, Apple RULES!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: December 05, 2021, 04:19:24 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else running Winders Elebin? What do you think of it?  (Read 580 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Anyone else running Winders Elebin? What do you think of it?
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:19:24 AM »
I installed Windows 11 yesterday and it worked great and the learning curve wasn't bad at all for this old fossil.  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Anyone else running Winders Elebin? What do you think of it?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 07:23:14 AM »
I ran the system requirements app that Microsquash has to see if my laptop will support 11...

Nope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:54:58 AM »
I installed Windows 11 yesterday and it worked great and the learning curve wasn't bad at all for this old fossil.  :old:

For personal use, I don't anticipate going away from Linux.  For laptops I set up for myself to use at work, I keep a small (~100GB) Windows partiton, just in case I need to do something that requires windows, or I need to remind myself how Windows does something.  That'll be Win10 until a Win11 capable scavangable machine shows up.  Then we'll see.

I'm sure we'll set something up soon at work.

Was reading an article the other day, saying they thought Win 11 was much more about security, than anything else.  Thus, the CPU and TPM requirements.  You can't just tell an existing Win 10 base that, oop, you can't upgrade to the next semi-annual release of Windows 10.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »
I installed it late last month on my 2021-built top of the line Dell XPS desktop.  The upgrade was seamless, but I can't really tell any difference in performance or stability.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 12:06:56 PM »
I need to confirm, but I have maybe one laptop that can be upgraded to Windows 11.  It's one my wife uses for her online knitting business.  She does not want me do the upgrade at this time for fear that it will bork her laptop.  Once Windows 11 has be around for a while and any issues it has have been worked out, we'll likely do the upgrade.
None of my other five Windows 10 machines can accept the automatic upgrade.  I may do a manual upgrade on one of them just to figure out if it's worth the trouble.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 11:13:43 PM »
Mine is still rocking along...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 09:12:20 PM »

Had one come in today, a customer who'd bought one somewhere else and wanted us to transfer his data.

Copy-paste from my Book of  Faces rant.

Windows 11, Home.  Customer brought one in for us to transfer stuff from his old pc. 
First impression, not that favorable.  Annoying in a myriad of ways, so far.

Would not let me set up a local user from the get go, by staying disconnected.  Forced me to connect to the internet, then set up an MS account.

Microsoft store wants an MS account, for free stuff like themes.  I imagine they'll want it for everything.

Copy and paste dialog has an extra annoying step to get to what I'm used to.

Default location for pictures is OneDrive (c:\users\<username>\OneDrive\Pictures).  Ditto Documents and Desktop.
 The upside is no more <wail>"All my pictures!"</wail> at a HD failure.  The downside is a copy of your stashed images stored elsewhere, that you don't control.  Trust MS' minions to not rat you out?  Say, if someone or an AI bot thinks you're a January 6th "insurrectionist", or other sort of disapproved icky person?

No idea how much of this you might be able to get around with Win 11 Pro.

The visual changes, meh, who cares.

Nothing that I installed seemed to have problems running.  (My usual pile of free apps -- Chrome, Firefox, VLC, 7zip, Zoom, Adobe Reader, Libre Office.  Plus in his case Windows Live Mail, because he's got an account set up in it that I can pull in.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 04:17:11 PM »
None of the above,
I'm still using Windows 7 and I'll likely go to some version of Linux for my next system.  Of course, that depends on two things - how long this computer lasts and the same for me.
  :old:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”