Author Topic: An observation on the 'Rona...  (Read 744 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
An observation on the 'Rona...
« on: November 10, 2021, 09:02:44 PM »
Most of the larger 24-hour stores, like walmarts, groceries, etc., around me are still on limited hours. 6am-10pm or the like...

I think the belief is that not only does the 'Rona swim up soda fountains and beer taps, but it prefers to come out after dark.

Which is... pretty much the only time that the untouchable essential retail workers get to do serious shopping. For most of the past few years, I've worked odd hours. Graveyard for a bunch. My local 6am bar isn't full of homeless bums - it's mostly nurses and cops at 0630 doing morning happy hour...

My local stop'n'robs have signs that they don't allow soda refills - but they still charge me for when I fill my bubba mug in the morning...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: An observation on the 'Rona...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 09:04:01 PM »
Most stores have signs mandating masks... and many folks are ignoring them. The folks with the masks? Hipsters and the less educated for the most part.
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 09:27:23 PM »
I think Walmart's limited hours were supposedly to give the staff time to clean.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 09:38:31 PM »
Most stores have signs mandating masks... and many folks are ignoring them. The folks with the masks? Hipsters and the less educated for the most part.

When I drove thru Kansas City a couple of months ago, I stopped for gas and to take a pee.  I also stopped at a motel not far up the road.  At both places, there were signs at the door that You must wear a mask and if you don't we will call the cops and have you arrested!!  Nobody was wearing a mask, including the staff.  I wore one when I walked in, waved to the folks at the register and took mine off and put it in my pocket where it belonged.

I assume it was some local or state diktat that everyone thought was a joke.  Management put the sign up because they thought they had to, but everyone ignored it.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 09:41:59 PM »
They couldn't staff 24 hours if they tried. I am now the most evil person in the world, I went into a Whole Foods without a mask. I wasn't the only one but I sure was a minority.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 09:42:20 PM »
I think Walmart's limited hours were supposedly to give the staff time to clean.

That's what WM claims, including many, many, many times a day on the in-store radio.  Don't believe it. 

I know all the managers and most people on every overnight crew.  They haven't hired on any more janitors or cleaning staff of any kind.  They have not reassigned anyone to cleaning/sanitizing.  And they're understaffed in all areas - meaning there's nobody available to do the "enhanced cleaning".

Around here, and areas within ~30 mile radius, the only places that insist on masks are the clinics & hospitals.  Oh, there are signs in all the doors, but nobody (except some management) wears them.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:08:36 PM »
Step outside Kansas City or Saint Louis and Missouri and Kansas are a whole other world. All the schools opened in August 2020 and almost no one wears a mask. And Walmart has regular hours.

It's blood in the streets like right after they made the laws that any legal person could carry. Oh wait that didn't happen either time.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »
The closed the entire school system this week in the small town where we used to live.  The schools go K-12.
The word I got was 3 maybe four teachers got sick, so anyone who had any contact with those teachers had to self quarantine for 10 days.  That took out about 75% of the teachers and a good deal of the students.  So they are closed down. 

The Stupid is running deep all over our country, especially by those that I know who are supposed to be the educated smart ones.

One of my oldest friends is an attorney.  He has not set foot inside a restaurant since spring of 2020.  He is terrified of catching the Rona.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »
Oklahoma, almost no one wears a masks anymore.

I was in a 100 person change of command ceremony and only few people had masks on.  I will admits most of us got are sugar shot.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »
99.1 percent of Ohio doesn’t wear masks either…

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »
Most drive-in restaurants here are still closed inside. Half-hour wait in the drive-thru? People are now used to that...

Used to it. Not demanding better.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »
If I were to make a guess, I would say the average mask wearing in Idaho is 5%. Medical facilities are the only places I know of that still insist on and enforce  masks. Pretty much no one else even has signs out.

In areas like where I live, it seems to be closer to 1%, and mostly elderly, which is totally understandable and hey, it might protect them during cold and flu season. As  I go in to cities in the Treasure Valley,  I would say it goes up to 5% with more of an age mix. I don't frequent a lot of businesses over the border in Boise, but it seems closer to 10-15% of people there wear masks, again across age groups. There might still be private businesses there, like restaurants, that enforce masks, but I wouldn't know.

When I go into Ontario, in Oregon, I would also call it around 5-10%, again across age groups. There are still a lot of signs there, but no enforcement.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 08:18:42 AM »
I was in Oregon last week visiting family.  In and around the Portland and Tigard areas mask wearing was pretty much universal where required.  Most everyone in retail stores wore masks.  In restaurants you had to wear a mask to and from your table, or if you got up to move around for other reasons.  Masks could be removed when sitting at a table.  That's because the virus wasn't going to infect you just sitting at the table.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 08:28:16 AM »
Hospitals are about the only place where people wear masks in Ohio.  Oh and airports.  Other than that,  everything is wide open.  Football games, restaurants, shopping and such are about 99% mask free. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
Most people don't wear masks where I am, but I do see a few people with them.  Also, it seems a lot of businesses still require employees to wear them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 10:22:59 AM »
Also, it seems a lot of businesses still require employees to wear them.

Oh, yeah. I should amend my above post in that I was only talking about the public/customers. A lot of businesses here still require masks for workers, even though most of the time masks and mask wearing for them is somewhat broadly interpreted.

Again, in places like my little town with family or other small businesses, the employees mostly don't wear masks. It's mostly the corporate/chain stores, at least in the non-blue cities.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 01:34:16 PM »
Lots of people here in Northern Virginia are still wearing masks. For many businesses it's become almost a thing for them to hang a big sign... Our workers are masked for your safety!

Lots of customers still wearing masks, too, but a lot aren't.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
I am still seeing a lot of mask wearing in public places in the Seattle area.  And of course, most of my waking hours during the work week are in medical facilities, so high mask use there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 02:29:31 PM »
Most people don't wear masks where I am, but I do see a few people with them.  Also, it seems a lot of businesses still require employees to wear them.

I've seen that a lot, too. I think of that when people talk about the elite cavorting in splendor, unmasked, while they're waited on by masked servants - it's not just the elite having that experience. Many shoppers/diners in urban areas aren't wearing a mask, even if the sign on the door says we must - meanwhile the employees don't really have a choice.

On the other hand, I see plenty of workplaces where the sign on the door says "Wear a mask - or else!" and the employees/mgmt don't seem to know it's there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 11:34:51 PM »
At this point, I don't care if I get fired or not.

"I've had the crud, and I had to get the shots. You don't hug and kiss me, and we're all good. Deal?"

Haven't had a full-Karen in a few days...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »

Haven't had a full-Karen in a few days...

Do you miss her?  :-*   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 11:44:29 PM »
Do you miss her?  :-*   :rofl:

Doesn't matter. Can't carry at work, so I don't know if I would miss her or not.
Blog under construction