Author Topic: On Holiday Shopping and Amazon  (Read 396 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Holiday Shopping and Amazon
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
If any of you are doing holiday shopping via Amazon, I suggest you start yesterday. I wanted to start early because of everything in the news about shortages, and I'm already too late.

The whole reason I buy anything at Amazon on the holidays it to ship stuff to family using the gift wrap feature so I don't have to have it come here first where I wrap it, then spend another $50 to send it to CA.

I ordered some stuff for my grand niece and sister last week. What was even available (half was out of stock) already showed that Prime shipping was a week out. Now I'm tracking everything that has shown as "shipped" and EVERY package is late. Now three of them are showing that they haven't shipped, after showing that they did ship. At this point I have no idea when the stuff will show up, or if it was even in stock to begin with. Let alone if it will show up, because several items showed they were being shipped via some weird ass third party shipper called AMAUS, which can't even be tracked.

This might be regional, as I have a few things from Amazon coming to me, and while shipping slower than usual, it's all via Amazon or UPS and tracking shows normal progress.

Anyway, sounds like holiday shipping might be a mess this year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: On Holiday Shopping and Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 08:56:02 AM »
Your expectations are too high!

You should be doing less with even less!

I only buy presents for a very few people these days, and I have no clue what I'm getting them...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 09:49:26 AM »
My Amazon shopping consists of getting X number of Amazon gift cards and printing them out Christmas Eve.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
My Amazon shopping consists of getting X number of Amazon gift cards and printing them out Christmas Eve.

I might resort to that this year. I send those out too to a couple of people, but if this current situation is an indication, I might do more and be done with it, other than for my grand niece, since I want the kid to have some things to open.

I'll be curious how long it takes me to get packages from Germany this year. They use DHL, who then transfers stuff to USPS once it hits our soil. Last year a cousin sent me an expedited Xmas package in late November and I got it in late January. It took four days to get to the US. The rest of the time was USPS. I guess this year I'll get it around June.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
We give everyone cash in a nicely wrapped envelope.  Problem solved.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 10:30:12 AM »
My wife just finished our Christmas shopping for the grandkids.  Everything is being shipped to the house and my wife will wrap it and give it to the grandkids when they are here on Thanksgiving.  From the package tracking, everything should be arriving within the week.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
In fairness, what's happening in my OP also happened last year, though much later in the season and again, only in CA. I was watching packages bounce around Los Angeles for 1-2 weeks before they made it to their final CA destination.

The unavailable merchandise, mostly toys, is happening much earlier this year.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
After getting screwed on shipping a last year, I got smart and did all my Christmas shopping in September.  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
Last year Castle Key and his wife ordered a book for me for Christmas in either late November or early December.

Damned thing sat in Jersey City, New Jersey, until almost February.

I finally picked it up when I visited them in July.

Christmas in July!   :rofl:

Worth the wait, though -- it was a book on the Leonberger -- breed history, standards, etc., basically a complete guide to the breed -- that came out about a decade ago. I desperately wanted a copy when it was published, but just couldn't afford it. Absolutely fantastic book, and there are a bunch of pictures of dogs and people I've met, which is really cool. One of the best Christmas gifts I've ever gotten.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 03:06:48 PM »
The post office is already saying Dec 15 is going to be latest date for arrival by Christmas but personally I think that’s a little optimistic this year myself.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »
Went to target today to do some Christmas shopping. The holiday section was wrecked, bunch of empty shelves and lots of bare pegs/shelves. Normally it doesn’t look that bad until the last week before Christmas
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!