Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 3005 times)

drewtam

• friend
House of Cards
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:51:54 AM »
MacBeth in Washington DC...

Netflix and Hollywood are in a bad relationship. The traditional Hollywood strategy is to use internet and low cost rental clearing houses for the 3rd rate dreck that can't pull money in the premium rental market (Redbox/Blockbuster/Family Video/PPV/On-demand, etc). Netflix is putting Hollywood on notice that they WILL be a premium content service and not be pigeonholed to that obsolete business model. For what its worth, I think Amazon and Netflix have the better business model. Hollywood better get their stuff together and cooperate with the new model or start filing for bankruptcy now.

House of Cards is the first broadside from Netflix. It is a self sponsored series, an entire season ready to be watched now, streaming HD, and available no where else.

House of Cards is about a House Majority Whip betrayed by his Democrat party and scheming to take revenge and more power. I don't like dramas, and I especially don't like political dramas. They are always boring, patronizing, and 1 dimensional while putting on airs of sophistication. In a word, most political dramas are Tedious.

I've watched the first two episodes of this series now and I find the writing to be fantastic and realistic at the same time. Kevin Spacey is brilliant in this role. The production qualities are top notch. It is certainly premium quality content. This is probably the only political TV series that won't present politics and especially Democrats as some kind of dreamy idealists fighting those cruel Republicans. Like I said, the writing is really good and the plot is always moving. I love the occasional narrative. But having said that, the show really isn't about getting cheap zingers on Dems or Reps or Libs, its about playing people like pawns.

So far, the show is very dark with exciting power plays. This definitely feels like MacBeth rewritten for modern day Wash DC. Especially the ambitious husband/wife teamwork and thirst for power. The husband-wife dynamic is also really well written. The husband is a man, not a sniveling twit. And the wife is just as competent, but in a very feminine way.

If you have Netflix streaming, I highly recommend trying this series; even if you don't like dramas, or political dramas. One drama series won't make Netflix a premium content powerhouse overnight. But if this is a taste of things to come from them, buy stock.

Warning: Episodes contain profane language and occasional female nudity.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: House of Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
I marathoned all 13 episodes this weekend.

First 13 episodes have been excellent and pretty much the whole cast has done very well. Spacy pulls off the Southern Democrat very well. The character does get a little...darker later in the season.

I'd call it a good enjoyable watch.

And when you reach the episode, yes it does exist, and yes it does look exactly as they imply. That's all I'm sayin.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »

MacBeth in Washington DC...

Kevin Spacey

'nuff said.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
Something to check out when I work through the entirety of Breaking Bad
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Just like that some of the best TV is not really "TV" anymore.  HBO, A&E, FX....just sayin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »
Just like that some of the best TV is not really "TV" anymore.  HBO, A&E, FX....just sayin.

QFT

Still diggin Justified.  Raylin hasn't killed anyone in a while though.

I watched the piolet of the new FX show "The Americans" about two deep cover KGB agents in the US in the 80's.  Seems interesting.  Did anyone else see it?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
QFT

Still diggin Justified.  Raylin hasn't killed anyone in a while though.

I watched the piolet of the new FX show "The Americans" about two deep cover KGB agents in the US in the 80's.  Seems interesting.  Did anyone else see it?

Yes and I watched episode two as well.  Lots of tension.  I think it oughta be good.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
The film & music industry have yet to have their Come to Jesus moment with the reality of new technology.  Like other entrenched industries, they have shifted to using gov't to preserve the status quo.   Their lobbying $$$ will not save their buggy whip business models.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
The film & music industry have yet to have their Come to Jesus moment with the reality of new technology.  Like other entrenched industries, they have shifted to using gov't to preserve the status quo.   Their lobbying $$$ will not save their buggy whip business models.

Truth!
JD

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Something else that has been nicked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

edit:  also Spacey is genuinely one of the best actors your country has ever produced, not only for some of his film work but what he has done at the Old Vic is astonishing and he will be sadly missed when he leaves
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:24:19 PM by agricola »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »
Just finished the season.

Literally, this show is darker than hell.

I liked the Mr Tusk surprise flip, that was good.

I want to see this guy go down in blazing fire.

Finally, this show convinces me more than anything else; I now support term limits for congress. Trading horses is one thing, but only the long established professional politician is able to execute long term schemes and favors and debts.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »
I have now watched both. Very much enjoyed each, though the American adaptation captivated me a bit more. This is probably due to 1) the age of the Brit original, as it seems a bit dated, and 2) the Brit version was a bit schizophrenic, trying to be both dramatic thriller and black comedy, mostly through FU's asides. The American interpretation was, as drewtam says, very dark, and utterly rubbing-your-face-in-it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
A lot of libertarian types loved HoC because it really does show how unmitigatedly evil politicians are. I watched one episode so far, and I really enjoy it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »
I finished it last night.  I really like it.  It is very dark and I have to agree with Balog.

A lot of libertarian types loved HoC because it really does show how unmitigatedly evil politicians are. I watched one episode so far, and I really enjoy it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
I started HoC last night.

The Peachoid episode was mortifyingly embarrassing to my State.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: House of Cards
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
I started HoC last night.

The Peachoid episode was mortifyingly embarrassing to my State.
You love that damn peach and you know it.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
Something else that has been nicked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

Thank you.  I vaguely remembered that Spacey's HoC was a remake, but couldn't place it.  FU makes the cast of Yes Minister look like a kindergarten.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden