Author Topic: Voluntary Contracts  (Read 806 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Voluntary Contracts
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/creditcards/10231556/Man-who-created-own-credit-card-sues-bank-for-not-sticking-to-terms.html?fb

I present the above in light of the recent topic in the Politics forum, regarding contract terms for apartment renters who have guns.

If a contract is signed, no matter how punitive and one-sided the terms may appear to a Monday Morning Quarterback 3rd party, is the contract still valid?  When is it appropriate to allow a 3rd party to change the terms in defiance of the interest of one of the parties, who would not voluntarily agree to a change in those terms?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Voluntary Contracts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
So the bank thinks he committed "fraud" since they didn't read the contract  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/creditcards/10231556/Man-who-created-own-credit-card-sues-bank-for-not-sticking-to-terms.html?fb

I present the above in light of the recent topic in the Politics forum, regarding contract terms for apartment renters who have guns.

If a contract is signed, no matter how punitive and one-sided the terms may appear to a Monday Morning Quarterback 3rd party, is the contract still valid?  When is it appropriate to allow a 3rd party to change the terms in defiance of the interest of one of the parties, who would not voluntarily agree to a change in those terms?

Not necessarily. If the contract is against public policy, the subject matter of the contract is illegal, is considered an unfair contract of adhesion, the contracting parties have significantly different negotiating power, or the competence of the contracting parties is suspect, and probably some other factors that I cannot remember from Contracts 101, the contract can be set aside or modified upon regulatory or judicial review.  Contracts are not necessarily set in stone.  

These comments are pertinent to general principles of American contract law.  The original article refers to a contractual dispute in Russia, and I have not the faintest idea of what Russian contract law is.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:25:10 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
I absolutely love this. I'm not sure how the bank (Tinkoff) thinks its going to take him for fraud.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »
In Russia you take banks to the cleaners?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »
an illegal contract is not enforceable  i say with chagrin   
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Being that the matter in question involves a Russian and a Russian bank, the ultimate disposition probably depends on how close a relationship the bank has with Putin.

Otherwise, it seems as if the bank - having signed the contract - is facing an expensive verdict.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain