Author Topic: The Freedom to Worship as We Want  (Read 2261 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The Freedom to Worship as We Want
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »
March 30, 2012
The Freedom to Worship as We Want
By Ron Paul

I find it troubling that the voice of faith is increasingly censored and resented by our society. It is God who gave us life. As He is free, so are those He created in His image. Our right to life and liberty are inalienable.

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, and I endeavor every day to follow Him in all I do and in every position I advocate.

I am running for President of the United States because I believe that our traditions and way of life are under attack from an out-of-control federal government and reckless politicians who show no regard for what our Founders entrusted to our protection.

America became the greatest nation in human history because a dedicated band of Patriots believed their God given rights were worth fighting for, even if it meant challenging the world's most powerful nation in what many deemed a "hopeless cause."

Being free meant so much to our forefathers that they put everything on the line - and thousands sacrificed their lives - to give the promise of liberty to not only their children and grandchildren , but to generations they knew they would never even meet.

Their courage and determination guaranteed they would defy the odds and achieve victory.

In this critical election you and I must decide if the principles of limited government and personal freedom, including the freedom to worship as we want, are worth fighting for once again.

Ron Paul, a congressman from Texas, is a candidate for the Republican nomination for president.

Page Printed from: http://www.realclearreligion.org/articles/2012/03/30/the_freedom_to_worship_as_we_want.html at March 30, 2012 - 09:32:31 AM EDT
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The Freedom to Worship as We Want
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
No no no. You don't understand.  Ron Paul is a radical right winger with a bunch of wookie suit wearing pot smokers as his followers.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
No no no. You don't understand.  Ron Paul is a radical right winger with a bunch of wookie suit wearing pot smokers as his followers.   :facepalm:

No, Ron Paul has a vast majority of opinions that are sane and good. It's the last 10% (and his many wookie suit wearing pot smoker followers) that are the problem. (Also the fact that he doesn't have a workable plan to enact his policies. And that's "workable" as in, capable of passing any congress elected within the next several years, not "workable" as in, will work if we tried it. He's not running for dictator.)

If it makes you feel better, he is FAR preferable to me than Romney.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
Ron Paul, like every other American, needs to balance his Judeo-Christianity with Greco-Romanism.  We didn't become the greatest and freest nation in history only by acting like good Christians. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Ron Paul, like every other American, needs to balance his Judeo-Christianity with Greco-Romanism.  We didn't become the greatest and freest nation in history only by acting like good Christians. 

Don;t forget to add good, old Angle and Saxon inputs to the alloy. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
Well, exactly, with some Gnosticism and Freemasonry thrown into the pot.  Even our Christianity is not Mediterranean but Northern European.  Our own philosophical heritage is a melting pot and a tonic one; we should not run from it. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/03/29/video-pastor-arrested-for-reading-bible-in-public/
I figured this thread would be about this little incident.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
You can be a good Christian and not let people walk all over you rob you blind.  That is a more modern liberal bent to some Christianity.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
The New Testament really has very little to say about the best political organization and policies. The only real mention of government is to try your best to live at peace with all men, and to obey the rulers (even the ones as despicable as Nero) within the bounds of God.

After all the first English and Christian settlers in America were trying to build a communist colony. They abandoned this goal after the first winter of nearly starving to death. [Which goes to show that communism sucks anytime its tried.]

I think the reason for the NT ignoring politics is well explained by James Madison,
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.

The NT focuses on changing men into what they ought to be. If that is accomplished, the rest will fix itself.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:06 PM »
Ron Paul, like every other American, needs to balance his Judeo-Christianity with Greco-Romanism.  We didn't become the greatest and freest nation in history only by acting like good Christians.  

I fail to see where Pauls Christianity is out of balance with his political philosophy.

What I see him espouse is the historic Baptist position (that eroded during the 80's &90's) of separation of church and state.

What he doesn't support is government as the secular religion or the "progressives" desire to have freedom from all religion and religious people.

The mentioned story about the preacher arrested for reading the Bible to folks waiting in line was not in my mind at all when posting this thread.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Ron Paul fatigue. I haz it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:03 PM »
No, Ron Paul has a vast majority of opinions that are sane and good. It's the last 10% (and his many wookie suit wearing pot smoker followers) that are the problem. (Also the fact that he doesn't have a workable plan to enact his policies. And that's "workable" as in, capable of passing any congress elected within the next several years, not "workable" as in, will work if we tried it. He's not running for dictator.)

So still preferable to candidates who are 90% wrong and 10% right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
So still preferable to candidates who are 90% wrong and 10% right?

If it makes you feel better, he is FAR preferable to me than Romney.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought