Author Topic: Deep South to Seattle  (Read 1803 times)

Hutch

• friend
Deep South to Seattle
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
I need to get some vacation time off the books, and an contemplating a transcontinental road trip to see our daughter in Seattle.  I have two "Must See" events and one "No way in HELL would I be caught dead there" event.  I have two weeks plus ajoining weeknds.

Must see: Oshkosh Fly-in, sometime during 07/27 - 08/02
Must see:  Glacier National Park, anytime
Must ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY AVOID: Sturgis, SD during and near the Harley Rally, 08/03-08/09

I've seen Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton NP's already.

Trip starts and ends in Opelika, AL (on I85 'tween Montgomery and ATL).  Farthest I intend to go, barring a great suggestion from the asembly here, is Seattle.  I have lots o' frequent stay points for both Holiday Inn and Marriott properties..  With enough lead time, I can stay at any of them fo' free.  No camping.  Light hiking okay.  Have great optics, good camera.  Two of us in a diesel Jetta, if that matters.

Please suggest an itinerary, or points of interest to see.  Right now, I'd be inclined to dip a toe in Lake Superior, just to get it off my bucket list.

Thanks...

Hutch
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Deep South to Seattle
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »
Hit Colorado Springs, CO., Pikes Peak, etc.  Columbia River Gorge in Oregon.  I-84 takes you right rhrough the Gorge, then take a right on I-205 (Or I-5 if you want to go through Portland proper.  It's pretty scenic along the river.) and it's north to Seattle.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
Around Seattle I'd suggest Snoqualmie Falls. Lotta pretty scenery and the Falls are about as good as a "light hike" gets.

I can give you a tour of my building that's a lot more in depth than the public can get. PM if you'd be interested.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
Olympic national park
Rainier National Park
The museum of flight in Seattle
The Experience Music Project/Science Fiction museum in Seattle
Pike Place Market in Seattle
The USS Turner Joy in Bremerton
The Undersea warfare museum north of Bremerton

What are your interests?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:01:37 PM »
Interests are hard to quantify.  History museums rate highly.  Scenic wonders, ditto.  I'll investigate the suggestions listed, and comment.  National Parks, hmmmm...  I've seen Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier Bay, Smokey Mountain, and whatever that little one is by Great Falls, VA  (DC area), probably more, if I go tickle the memory.

Thanks for everything so far.  Keep 'em coming...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Go see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville, OR.  The Golden Gate Bridge, Big Sur and the redwoods all the way up Highway 1.  Crater Lake. The Grand Canyon.  Zion National Park.  Early Winters Pass and the north Cascades.

Lake Superior is a little over rated.  And cold! 

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
Been to the Grand Canyon, Brice Canyon, and Zion NP.  Been to the Springs,and toured the Olympic training facility.  Real neat.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »
If you're going to Glacier NP, you might consider dropping south to Missoula, and taking US 12 to Lewiston, ID on your way to Washington. There's a stretch of US 12 that follows the river, and is absolutely beautiful, at least on a motorcycle.

If you'll be in the Yellowstone vicinity, go up to Beartooth Pass. It's like looking down on the world.

Get to Glacier Park early in the day, as the crawling traffic will drive you nuts.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:34:24 AM »
You'll enjoy the EAA Oshkosh fly-in.

I've been an EAA member since 1980, and try to make it to the show every year when I can.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45:13 AM »
Don't forget to spend a couple of days at the rally in Sturgis. 

Someone had to do it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
Thanks, Fistful.  I am continually reminded of why you are so beloved here :laugh:

It brings on PTSD regarding the time I got caught up in this event.  Hijacking my own thread....

Why do riders in groups act so inconsiderate, disrespectul, and discourteous?  You always read about how "guy next door' the average HD rider is.  They're lawyers, dentists, airline pilots, yadda yadda yadda.  I call shennanigans.  Put  more than 2 of 'em together, and all judgement flees.  Let three or more assemble, and you get the second incarnation of the Hun invasion. <rant off>  <for now> <dammit>

castle key

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24:39 AM »
Gary, Indiana is beautiful in the Spring!

Boarded up buildings and Superfund tourism!

In all seriousness, you may want to check the San Juan Islands off the Seattle coast. Never been there, but my brother in law who live on Orcas Island says they are wonderful.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
If you're going to Glacier NP, you might consider dropping south to Missoula, and taking US 12 to Lewiston, ID on your way to Washington. There's a stretch of US 12 that follows the river, and is absolutely beautiful, at least on a motorcycle.

If you'll be in the Yellowstone vicinity, go up to Beartooth Pass. It's like looking down on the world.

Get to Glacier Park early in the day, as the crawling traffic will drive you nuts.

If you do go down to Missoula from Glacier make sure to drive past Flathead Lake and take the drive along the Blackfoot River. The movie "The River Runs Through It" was filmed in the Blackfoot valley. I spent three weeks there last September and its awesome. The area of the Blackfoot is also one of 13 places left on the earth that still have a intact ecosystem.

Also I read somewhere that the road in Glacier might be under construction this summer. You may want to check that before you go.

-C
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:31:33 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
Airventure is THE airshow to attend.  I have not been in 20 years but I hope to after I retire and spend my summers in the UP of MI.

Pike Place Market is a hoot.  Ask one of the fishmongers to show you a geoduck.

Take a drive around the Olympic Peninsula.  Take an umbrella.

Take in Cody Wyoming on the way.....chris3

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
Tons of good day hikes in the Cascades, and more out in the Olympics.

Walk on the Seattle/Bremerton ferry and check out the Turner Joy. The Naval Undersea Museum at Keyport is interesting, although not nearly as much as the Museum of Flight.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
Cody is a nice place, in the summer. Be sure to check out the Buffalo Bill museum, firearms, Indian culture and Western paintings. Then head east over the chief Joseph hiway to Red lodge, go in the noth side of yellowstone and exit on the west- head north to Glacier, up ythe Yellowstone river valley. 
  My wife and I spent a cople weks riding around there a few summers ago- I hear you loud and clear on sturgis- to me, as a lifelong MC rider, it is a must miss. =DBut the area is supposed to le lovely.