Author Topic: Black Death: a surprisingly decent movie  (Read 954 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Black Death: a surprisingly decent movie
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:11:56 PM »
Called out sick from work this week and spent a day watching movies I figured my wife wouldn't like. Oddly, all seemed to be foreign horror/supernatural thriller types. Dead Snow (Norwegian college kids vs Nazi zombies), Nightwatch (Russian... Something. Confused storyline.) And the German made but in English "Black Death" with Sean Bean. It's about a witch hunter in the time of the bubonic plague in Europe setting out to investigate a village that is said to be free of the plague due to Satanism and witch craft.

I have to say, I was really pleasently surprised. I didn't realize it was a German flick, so I went in expecting it to be a typical militant feminist anti-religion Hollywood screed. However, it was actually a fairly complex examination of realistic characters. No "all Christians are either cynical hypocrits or mysogynistic zealots" no multi-cultural pc crap. And a couple (brief) fight scenes, that were decent and didn't cause me nausea due to whip crack jump shots.

Overall, a very pleasent surprise if you like the gritty noir feel set in the Middle Ages.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Black Death: a surprisingly decent movie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
Cool, thx.  That one's been in my instant-watch queue for a couple weeks, haven't gotten around to it yet.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »
I watched it this weekend.  Good movie.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
Interesting. I'll check it out.

I recently watched "Valhalla Rising", which was not at all what I expected. "Apocalypse Now" meets "13th Warrior" with Bergmann-esque overtones, aka a Viking head trip.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
Been wanting to see Black Death- its been in the local redbox for a few weeks and is always checked out.

Nightwatch- I really didn't get that one either- I think I turned it off 1/2 way through the movie.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
Been wanting to see Black Death- its been in the local redbox for a few weeks and is always checked out.

Nightwatch- I really didn't get that one either- I think I turned it off 1/2 way through the movie.

If I hadn't been left without enough time to start another movie before my wife got home I probably would have too. Seemed like a promising premise, but it really didn't deliver.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
Night = bad critters, day = good critters.  Truce is on to protect world from destruction.

The Night Watch keeps the night creatures in line; The Day Watch, in the companion movie, keeps the "good" (but far too powerful to interact with humanity on a regular basis) ones in check as well.

That's what I got from it anyway.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »
I understand the concept, I just thought it was cliche and poorly done. And the twist felt forced and silly.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
I watched Black Death the other night. I did enjoy, it was very well done.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
I recently watched "Valhalla Rising", which was not at all what I expected. "Apocalypse Now" meets "13th Warrior" with Bergmann-esque overtones, aka a Viking head trip.

Valhalla Rising kept my interest, despite the slow pace.  I would also recommend it for all but the Ritalin/Adderal crowd.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!