Author Topic: 12:08 AM (00:08) 01 JAN 23 GUNFIRE  (Read 420 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
12:08 AM (00:08) 01 JAN 23 GUNFIRE
« on: January 01, 2023, 02:11:55 AM »
"Celebratory" gunfire down a lot this year.  Two rounds real close about a half hour ago, sounded liike high pressure rounds.  Not repeated at midnight.

Maybe 15-20 distant rounds.

Always thought New Years moments were only actually at midnight one out of four years.  But who wants to get drunk at 6 AM.  Noon and 6PM, OK, but 6 AM?

Happy New Year.  Got a New Year's e-mail from my niece in NY at, as expected, 10PM.

Surprised I didn't hear anything from the farm next door, which is unusual. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: 12:08 AM (00:08) 01 JAN 23 GUNFIRE
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 04:26:47 AM »
Next door goober popped off 6 or 8 rounds. Hope he had the good sense to shoot them in the dirt and not the air.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 07:14:59 AM »
Gunfire around here is not unusual during daylight hours. Had some sporadic bullet noise last night between 8-9pm 1/2 mile away or so. Got a neighbor that direction that has taken up serious alcohol abuse. I suspect he was the source. I stopped and talked to him a couple weeks ago and he was so smashed he couldn’t get out of his skid steer.
I was in bed and asleep by 9:30 and didn’t hear anything after that.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 12:56:15 PM »
I live in a built-up suburb west of Austin, TX . . . fireworks are technically illegal here, as they are in Austin city proper. So LOTS of fireworks stands are located just outside city limits.  =D

The crackle of fireworks began a little after 8 PM and continued to about 11:30pm, when there was a relative lull. A brief fusillade took place around midnight, but most of the bangs were earlier.

It was MOSTLY fireworks, but I'm pretty sure there was some gunfire mixed in. Not sure how far away it was, but I'm pretty sure most was within city limits since it was clearly audible from inside my home. Hope the gunfire wasn't randomly into the air.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 01:23:11 PM »
It was a fairly quiet night in my neck of the woods. Fireworks are illegal yet there are several fireworks stores in town. When you buy your fireworks you buy a 5 dollar permit to use the town launch site, which is the only legal place to set them off. That doesn't happen and there are still plenty of off site launches. I heard no gunfire that I know of. Even the fireworks were very subdued last night, I guess there is some good in a nice rain storm at midnight on NYE.   =D

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 01:45:12 PM »
Here in the hillabilly section of Idaho, it was both bullets and fireworks. For the most part, I think the shooting is safe as most people near me have a safe backstop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »
We live on a cul de sac.  New family moved in last fall.  Puerto Rican family.  Boy did they light up the night last night, shooting off fireworks in the circle.  Daylight showed a ton of fireworks trash in the street.  They stopped at 12:30, and cleaned up the trash by noon.  Both appreciated.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 06:02:27 PM »
We live on a cul de sac.  New family moved in last fall.  Puerto Rican family.  Boy did they light up the night last night, shooting off fireworks in the circle.  Daylight showed a ton of fireworks trash in the street.  They stopped at 12:30, and cleaned up the trash by noon.  Both appreciated.

Did you thank them? I would!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 09:16:05 PM »
I live in a built-up suburb west of Austin, TX . . . fireworks are technically illegal here, as they are in Austin city proper. So LOTS of fireworks stands are located just outside city limits.  =D

The crackle of fireworks began a little after 8 PM and continued to about 11:30pm, when there was a relative lull. A brief fusillade took place around midnight, but most of the bangs were earlier.

It was MOSTLY fireworks, but I'm pretty sure there was some gunfire mixed in. Not sure how far away it was, but I'm pretty sure most was within city limits since it was clearly audible from inside my home. Hope the gunfire wasn't randomly into the air.

Yeah. the idea of using the planet as a backstop does not agree with me.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 04:08:18 PM »
The subdivision where I live has just one way in & out with 4 streets.  It is "unincorporated" (outside all city limits) but fireworks are mostly outlawed.  There were still a lot going on starting about 9:30 and continuing until about 12:30.  There was at least one instance that I heard with at least 6-8 evenly spaced shots of the same sound and the same volume.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 04:49:14 PM »
Quote from: JTHunter link=topic=67815.msg1384268#msg1384268 [size=8pt
date=1672693698]
The subdivision where I live has just one way in & out with 4 streets.  It is "unincorporated" (outside all city limits) but fireworks are mostly outlawed.  There were still a lot going on starting about 9:30 and continuing until about 12:30.  There was at least one instance that I heard with at least 6-8 evenly spaced shots of the same sound and the same volume.

Then it could have been a 1911 with one in the pipe or one win uh them devil's spawn new-fangled seven shot revolvolators.

Those regularly-repeated reports are a dead giveaway that some numb skull is shooting a gun.