Author Topic: More Idiocy from SC  (Read 2971 times)

Waitone

• friend
More Idiocy from SC
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
Surely this kind of idiocy is imported.  Can't be common to the local gene pool.

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/mayors_memo_may_handcuff_police_officers/26918 
Chris Cato
Published: September 18, 2009

Updated September 18, 2009

(Wellford, SC)—The Mayor of Wellford is defending her policy which bans police officers in that city from chasing suspects. Sallie Peake says the policy also includes vehicle chases along with pursuits on foot.

A memo issued on September 2nd from Peake to all Wellford officers reads:

“As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever.“

WSPA first reported the mandate on Wednesday after an anonymous citizen faxed a copy of the memo to our newsroom. Peake was out of town and unavailable for comment. On Friday, reporter Chris Cato caught up with her in her office and questioned her about the origin of the policy. Peake says she issued the mandate because several officers have been injured during chases, driving up insurance costs for the town.

“The officers are costing us more money on insurance than most citizens here in the city of Wellford are even earning,“ says Peake.

She says the city is paying out $20,000 annually in workers’ compensation claims, much of it due to the police force. In July, two officers wrecked their cruisers while chasing suspects and had to go to the hospital for minor treatment. The police chief says three officers have been injured during foot chases in the last two years.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright says the policy prevents police from upholding the law—a direct violation of their constitutional oath.

“If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it’s our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice,“ says Wright.

But when we asked Peake about her order impeding an officer from stopping a crime in progress, she became defensive and irate. The conversation went as follows:

Reporter: “Are you telling your officers if they witness a crime - they witness someone commit a crime on someone else and they’re ten yards away - they can’t go stop that person?“
Peake: “Is that in there?“ (referring to policy)
Reporter: “It says no chases whatsoever.“
Peake: “Well, that’s what I said, no chases, didn’t I? I didn’t say nothing about a crime. If you see a crime, this that and the other -“
Reporter: “Well, that’s what a chase is - “
Peake: “Well, I told them no chase on foot, and (the police chief) know exactly what I mean, so you’re trying to twist what I -“
Reporter: “No, I’m not. You said no chases. No chases means no chases.“
Peake: (claps hands) “You got you a story, thank God! You are so sweet! You got you a story on a woman in Wellford! Hallelujah! I’m so proud of you, Mr. Cato!“

Click here to see the entire interview.

Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy has told his officers to abide by the policy. He says they can still protect the public.

“Just because a suspect may run does not mean we can’t identify them, sign warrants, and catch them later,“ says Guy.

But Sheriff Wright says when a suspect gets away, there is always the chance he could hurt someone before officers catch up with him.

Peake says that won’t happen in Wellford.

Here’s hoping the arm of the law really is long.

Posted September 9, 2009

The mayor of an Upstate city has issued an order that may handcuff her police officers and put citizens at risk, according to some.

News Channel 7 received a fax from an anonymous person identifying themself as “a concerned Wellford citizen”. Included was a memo written by Wellford Mayor Sallie Peake, addressed to all city police officers. Dated September 2, 2009, it reads:

“As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever.“

We have not been able to reach Peake for comment. The city clerk tells us the Mayor is out of town on vacation and is unreachable.

Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy confirmed the memo was legitimate. He says he has told his officers to abide by the order until he can sit down with Peake and talk about it.

“This came about because an officer twisted his ankle while chasing a suspect a couple of weeks ago,“ said Chief Guy.

He said he could not comment further until he has talked with Peake about how the policy will affect his officers’ abilities to perform their duties.

For an outside opinion, we went to Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright.

“I’ve never seen a memo like that before, telling your police officers not to do their job,“ said Wright. “That’s strange.“

Wright says Peake has essentiall handcuffed her officers.

“If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it’s our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice,“ says Wright.

He says the memo may actually be illegal because it directly conflicts with a police officer’s constitutional oath to uphold the law. And he says while it may protect officers from injury, it may also put citizens at risk.

“If you’ve got somebody that’s running from the police, whose to say they won’t break into your home to get away from law enforcement?“ said Wright.

He said he is going to ask State Law Enforcement Division if the memo is legal. In the meantime, he says he will add patrols to the Wellford area in case officers need help catching suspects who decide to run.

We will continue following this story and get answers from Mayor Sallie Peake. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: More Idiocy from SC
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
  they elected her they get what they deserve
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »
Better call the state police if they have a runner.

Sounds like she is trying to do away with the local police all together.
I don't know the town, but there are plenty near me that have NO need for a police force.

Why did you shoot the suspect? Because he needed a shootin.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »
Maybe the cops could try calling out to the criminal and trying to lure him back with a bowl of Kibbles and Bits.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
Why did you shoot the suspect?

I would've tackled him, Your Honor, but that would've meant chasin' him.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BMacklem

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
HAHAHAHA...
This is completely ridiculous, what she is proposing is DIRECTLY telling police not to do their jobs of serving and protecting.
I wonder what South Carolinas fleeing felons/suspects laws are.
I wonder if they're going to end up with a lot more police shooting their fleeing suspects now, since they cannot chase after them.
That or a lot more uses of the taser to immobilize them.
Personally I'm all for the police to just shoot more often, as this will have a much greater deterrent against crime.

You know I hate to play the race card, but since Obama became president, everyone else seems to play it daily now, but I wonder if Sallie Peake is doing this just so the police don't apprehend more black suspects.
From how she got all "holier than thou" with the reporter, I'd have to say that's the way I'm leaning in my thinking about her.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »
Just...plain...dumb.  It just goes to show that a person doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to be a politician.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
Just...plain...dumb.  It just goes to show that a person doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to be a politician.
Am I the only one who think that there ought to be some more requirements on politicians than the ones (above certain age, possessing a metabolism etc) in place?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
Funniest video ever.  May God bless us all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Don't guess it would help any to suggest we're not ALL like that?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
Don't guess it would help any to suggest we're not ALL like that?

didn't know you were a politician.

or were you trying to say that not all folks from south carolina are as completely retarded as mayor peake.. =D

stay safe.

skidmark

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
So does that apply to speeding tickets and such also?  If you get pulled over, just drive off.  They can't chase you.  Make sure you take off your license plates though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
You know how we're fond of saying "When seconds count, cops are minutes away." In other words, LEOs most often show up AFTER the crime has been committed. Then they investigate and apprehend. Sounds like that final stage is now forbidden.

If the reason Heronor doesn't want cops chasing perps, maybe it's a training and/or conditioning issue?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
Hmm....wonder how much valuable stuff the Mayor of Wellford keeps at her house... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:46 PM »
Hmm....wonder how much valuable stuff the Mayor of Wellford keeps at her house... ;)

APS field trip!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »
They even banned foot pursuit??  Wow.

At least I can understand the motivations for not wanting car chases through pedestrian-ridden city centers, but I can't even think of a reason to ban foot chases.  Protect cops from heart attacks?  Maybe to protect the perps from heart attacks?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
I finally gave in and watched the video.

It has been YEARS ... a great MANY years ... since I have seen and heard a politician give such a convincing display of a complete, total, unequivocal lack of cognitive reasoning capacity. The scary thing is, I believe herhonor  the mayor(ess) is actually so stupid that she really could not see that the reporter was making valid points. At that stage, her only defense against admitting she didn't have a clue what she had just proclaimed was to resort to the old "God bless you" routine.

Pathetic. I sincerely hope that EVERYONE who voted for her gets to see that video -- several times, preferably just before the next election.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
If I was the opposition I would have billboards with that last frame and the caption: "Tough Questions? GOD BLESS YOU!"
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
Metro Wellford is nestled comfortably in the metroplex of Startex, Jackson, Wellford, and Duncan.  Each "city" is a former textile mill village.  Wellford's urban area consists of one, no wait . . . ., two city blocks.  The rest consists of the obligatory mill (now closed), a suburban area consisting of maybe another 10 blocks, and another two or three modern production facilities (no doubt closed by now).  Wellford is the definition of a small southron town.  I can state with absolute certainty Herhonor is NOT typical of the leadership in such towns.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon