Author Topic: Three photos of a Tomahawk test  (Read 1010 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Three photos of a Tomahawk test
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/09/02/kablam-2/

Cool photos of a tomahawk, particularly the center one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:40:52 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Three phots of a Tomahawk test
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
 :O  What hath God wrought?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:35 AM »
Used to be, the 'Hawk used video and terrain matching radar for guidance.  Did they ever switch 'em over to GPS?  BTW, the target aircraft on fire looked cool.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
Yeah, I definitely do not want to be on the receiving end of that kind of power.

YouTube: war in irak -us army attack with tomahawk missile-
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
looks like fire and brimstone to me.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Three photos of a Tomahawk test
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
After seeing the thread title, I thought someone was testing different tomahawk hatchets and posted the results.   :facepalm: =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »
During the first A'stan war (2001) US Special Forces working with A'stanese worked out a tactic with the Air Force (US) in attacking Taliban fixed positions.  A'stanese would stage their cavalry (as in genuine horses) a suitable and safe distance from the target.  Special Forces would laze the position again from a safe and suitable distance.  The Air Force would drop a 2,000 lb laser guided bomb which was set to explode at something like 50 ft overhead.  As soon as the shock wave dissipated the cavalry would overrun the position.  Seems the A'stanese were upset because there would be nothing to attack after the bomb went off.  Certainly nothing moving.  It seems that when the bomb detonated it tended to suck combatants up into the fireball where they went away.  There were complaints that it wasn't a manly form of warfare.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »
Seems like the US could make it's War on Terror a lot more effective if we replaced every 100 boots on the ground with a Tomahawk in the air.....

...no need to occupy an area when it's been disintegrated....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.