Author Topic: Three Students Held in Ala. Church Fires  (Read 2134 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Three Students Held in Ala. Church Fires
« on: March 09, 2006, 01:35:41 AM »
To me, this is a relief even though I wasn't affected personally. In a sense, I'm glad it was some college dufus' as opposed to some anti religion agenda.

Three Students Held in Ala. Church Fires By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Writer
Wed Mar 8, 6:10 PM ET

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Three college students, including two aspiring actors known around campus as pranksters, were arrested Wednesday in a string of nine church fires that spread fear across Alabama last month.

Federal agents said the defendants claimed that the first few blazes were set as "a joke" and that the others were started to throw investigators off the track.

Gov. Bob Riley said the fires did not appear to be "any type of conspiracy against organized religion" or the Baptist faith. With the arrests, he said, "the faith-based community can rest a little easier."

Benjamin Nathan Moseley and Russell Lee Debusk Jr., both 19-year-old students at Birmingham-Southern College, appeared in federal court and were ordered held on church arson charges pending a hearing Friday. Matthew Lee Cloyd, 20-year-old junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, was also arrested.

The fires broke out at five Baptist churches in Bibb County south of Birmingham on Feb. 3 and four Baptist churches in west Alabama on Feb. 7. The federal Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agency had made the investigation its top priority, with scores of federal agents joining state and local officers.

"While all three are entitled to have their day in court, we are very hopeful that this is the end to the fear that has been rampant in West Alabama," said Rep. Artur Davis (news, bio, voting record), D-Ala.

Five churches were destroyed and four damaged. In many cases, the fire was set in the sanctuary near the altar. No one was injured.

Acquaintances said DeBusk and Moseley were both amateur actors who were known as pranksters and dreamed of becoming stars. They performed in campus plays and appeared in a documentary film.

Moseley confessed to the arsons after his arrest, investigators said in court papers.

The papers said Moseley told agents that he, Cloyd and Debusk went to Bibb County in Cloyd's sport utility vehicle on Feb. 2 and set fire to five churches. A witness quoted Cloyd as saying Moseley did it "as a joke and it got out of hand."

Moseley also told agents the four fires in west Alabama were set "as a diversion to throw investigators off," an attempt that "obviously did not work," the court papers said.

Investigators had said earlier that they were looking for two men seen in a dark SUV near a couple of the church fires.

Agents said previously that there appeared to be no racial pattern in the fires; four were white congregations, five were black. While all were Baptist churches, that is the dominant faith in the region, and agents were uncertain if that denomination was a factor.

The three students are white and all either attend or previously were enrolled at Birmingham-Southern, a Methodist-affiliated liberal arts college.

Jim Parker, pastor of Ashby Baptist Church at Brierfield, a Bibb County church destroyed in the spree, said the congregation had been worried that the arsonists had some "political or religious agenda." He said he had spoken to federal agents and understood the defendants were promising students from good families.

"We really are concerned about them as people," he said. "I would just like to know what they were thinking."
So would I...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:31:08 AM »
I hope I'm wrong, but I think there is more to this than what has come out so far.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:00:18 AM »
Just Kidding!
Boys will be boys!
Right.  Sounds like some fancy backpedaling to avoid "hate crime" and "terroristic acts" charges.  Hope they get roomed with the biggest Bubbas in the jailhouse. Now that would be funny!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:10:51 AM »
dang theater majors from a liberal arts college...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

toro

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 04:16:48 AM »
They just had one of the boys roommates on TV.  It seems that they went to a Methodist collage and were in a band together.  The roommate said they were Satanist.  The collage is going to help repair the churches.  The families are very rich and probably sent the boys to that collage to straighten them out.  That's why the boys thought it was a joke.  Maybe some time in jail will give them an attitude adjustment and teach them what is funny and what is not.

Mrs. Toro

===
Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Job 1:9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 05:05:21 AM »
The roommate said they were Satanist.
As an graduate of a religious university (Campbell University, Southern Baptist), I can say in all seriousness that it doesn't take much to be called a "satanist" at such schools.  

I've personally seen the "satanist" tag applied to: pagans, athiests, agnostics, drug users, drinkers, etc.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:46:33 AM »
I actually lived, for a very short period of time, with a bonafide Satan worshiper my freshman year at college.

Last I heard, he's a kintergarten teacher.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:46:15 AM »
"Today children, we'll be fingerpainting with BLOOD!! BWahahahahaaaa..."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 08:27:23 AM »
Whats odd is that because they were goofy college kids, its being reported as NOT a hate crime
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:49:26 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
Whats odd is that because they were goofy college kids, its being reported as NOT a hate crime
And therein lies the difference; when you are from a wealthy family, it's just a prank.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 09:12:04 AM »
I think they dismissed the hate crime aspect (or at least have largely dismissed it) because they didn't target solely black churches.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

engineer151515

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:34:53 AM »
Maybe you need a semblance of common sense before you can be charged with a "hate crime" implying rational thought of targeting a race or category of people.  

These fools obviously had no sense.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
Gov. Bob Riley said the fires did not appear to be "any type of conspiracy against organized religion" or the Baptist faith. With the arrests, he said, "the faith-based community can rest a little easier."
Yeah, fires burn a lot hotter when there is an organized conspiracy behind them. Its much better to have all your belongings tourched as a prank.

As an graduate of a religious university (Campbell University, Southern Baptist), I can say in all seriousness that it doesn't take much to be called a "satanist" at such schools.  

I've personally seen the "satanist" tag applied to: pagans, athiests, agnostics, drug users, drinkers, etc.
+1
I never attended a religious university school, but a couple of my friends spend a number of years at a Pentacostal college. Based on what they were taught there, *everyone* that didnt adhere specifically to their beliefs was at least a borderline satanist. I went to visit once and quickly determined that my wearing of a Catholic crucifix and smoking of a cigarette in their parking lot was grounds to get me barred from the property and have one of my "friends" try to "save" me. I wrote them off as a lost cause some time ago.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't claiming the entire school was like that, just that the sort of student that frequently attends those schools can be a bit judgemental.  The falculty and staff, at least at Campbell, were generally easygoing.  Some of the students were frightening though.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 06:18:56 PM »
some high school kids spray painted swastikas on 2 local Black churches and we are deluged with HATE CRIME news...

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
It is the height of hyprocrisy not to throw these ADULTS under the jail for a long, long time based on their multiple counts of arson.

Good families, my arse.  Fry the SOB's.