Author Topic: Three Hurt in Accidental Shooting at NC Gun Show  (Read 3832 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Three Hurt in Accidental Shooting at NC Gun Show
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Three Hurt in Accidental Shooting at NC Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
 :facepalm:

Unfortunate timing.

Damnit.

Excuse me while I go rant to myself in a coner for awhile *grumble grumble*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »
Unfortunate timing indeed. I can't remember the last time I saw a story on gun show accidents, yet just right now people are all of a sudden becoming butterfingered and stupid. Hmm. It simply can't have anything to do with the media.

On the Fox News main page, right underneath the link I posted, was another one where an Ohio gun dealer pulled the trigger on a pistol that he popped the magazine out of. The one in the chamber went off, bounced off the floor, and hit his buddy.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:55:12 PM »
Far more people at the gun shows. Far more guns being bought and sold. Accidents are far more likely.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:07 AM »
Far more people at the gun shows. Far more guns being bought and sold. Accidents are far more likely.

That and the media is much more likely to pay attention to it. I've heard of this happening before, but it almost never made national news that I recall. Just chatter on gun boards with a link to a local news outlet.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
That and the media is much more likely to pay attention to it. I've heard of this happening before, but it almost never made national news that I recall. Just chatter on gun boards with a link to a local news outlet.

Yes. Right now, we are under a freeking microscope.
It would be a good idea to behave accordingly.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
Yes. Right now, we are under a heavily biased freeking microscope.
It would be a good idea to behave accordingly.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/police-officer-accidentally-discharges-weapon-at-gun-show-raleigh-nc

According to first-hand eyewitnesses, it went off in police hands, not in owner hands.  And was a rifle, not a shotgun.

Regardless, the notion of transporting a weapon you intend to sell in an armed state is pretty stupid.  But more media bias? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:04:13 AM »
  But more media bias? 

http://tinyurl.com/atmk9h8

Officials say three people were wounded when gunfire erupted

Bias?  What bias.  I don't see any bias here - none at all. [/Baghdad Bob]

Remember when the only things that erupted were volcanoes and acne?

And at least there was a physical cause for them, unlike gunfire that just magically happens.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:50 AM »
I move that the term "gunfire erupted," also phrased as "eruption of gunfire," and all similar combined uses of the words "erupt" and "gunfire" be defined as having no less than 3 belt-fed and/or 5 magazine fed select fire weapons being fired simultaneously with no less than 400 rounds of ammunition being expended in less than one minute.

[popcorn]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:37:54 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:17:59 AM »
My brother tried to go to that gunshow, but the lines to get in were too long. He said it was a 2+ hour wait to get in the door.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:49 AM »
I was at the Saxet show in Austin several years ago when an exhibitor I had walked past just a few minutes before had a negligent discharge; nobody hurt, it hit the floor and the ricochet from the concrete didn't hit anyone.

The careless exhibitor was a retired sheriff's deputy.

He was packed up, gone and banned for life from the show within 10 minutes. By the time I'd made a circuit of the show, there was already someone else at his (former) table.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
In other news, someone fell off a ladder while cleaning leaves out of the roof gutters. 

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:54 PM »
three shootings at 3 shows :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »
three shootings at 3 shows :facepalm:

Um.  That NEVER happens.

Gunshow shootings are scarce as hens' teeth, typically.

The misreporting of the NC incident is sketchy... blaming the discharge on the owner rather than the handler (the cop). 

I will remain skeptical of the other 2 incidents' quality of reporting and assertions of culpability, as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Um.  That NEVER happens.

The misreporting of the NC incident is sketchy... blaming the discharge on the owner rather than the handler (the cop). 

I will remain skeptical of the other 2 incidents' quality of reporting and assertions of culpability, as well.
I understand these things are packed to the gills as of late, bound to be a lot of knuckleheads with no understanding of the rules of safety in attendance.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
Ah, the old "I didn't know it was loaded" trick, eh? Happens to the best of em...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/11/exclusive-loaded-revolutionary-war-era-cannon-found-in-central-park/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
Um.  That NEVER happens.

Let's not be too hasty to throw all the blame on the police, here. Multiple sources including both CNN and a local TV station are quoting the police chief in charge of security (?) for the show as saying that the discharge occurred before any officer touched the firearm. One of those said the owner dropped it taking it out of the case, triggering the discharge.

Bozo owner deserves a smack for bringing a loaded firearm to the show in the first place; sounds as though he may also deserve the blame for the negligent discharge, as well, from literally everything I've read. Unless all the media types are in on it, or else the cops in question are lying (not impossible, certainly...) AND their lie is being supported by one or more eyewitnesses (also quoted in one or both of the articles mentioned above)...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
On a slightly lighter note, I wish I had a birds eye veiw of the crowd when the gun discharged.
I'm betting there was a LOT of ducking heads and hands hovering at waistbands.

If only we could point that aspect out to the media "look, see all these people carry guns for SD. Had that been an attack, only those breaking the rules would have been able to stop it, and they would have! Furthermore, since it wasn't an attack all those guns stayed out of sight and didn't stupidly go off because the people with them arn't a bunch of trigger happy idiots like you want to belive."

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/police-officer-accidentally-discharges-weapon-at-gun-show-raleigh-nc

According to first-hand eyewitnesses, it went off in police hands, not in owner hands.  And was a rifle, not a shotgun.

Regardless, the notion of transporting a weapon you intend to sell in an armed state is pretty stupid.  But more media bias? 

generally the use of the letter s at the end of a word implies plural. Who was the other wtness.supporting  mr "10 feet away"?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
And someone was intentionally shot at an MLK parade.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/01/20/shooting-martin-luther-king-jr-parade-mississippi_n_2515307.html?icid=hp_crime_art_more

Jackson police spokeswoman Colendula Green said it happened Saturday, shortly after noon, in the general area of the parade but not directly on the parade route.

So, if it happens within what, a fifty-mile radius of something the MSM can use to stir up the rabble, it happens at that place/event?

If that's the case, y'all might want to be prepared to read about the militia* gathering that takes place at the Presidential Inauguration tomorrow.  Look for my picture - ought to make the front page of WaPo.

stay safe.

* militia, per the MSM, is one or more people with evill black guns
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Kitteh-Dragon

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
Exactly.  And how many of those idiots are there 'undercover' to 'prove' how dangerous gun shows are?  (Yes, I can be quite cynical at times, thank you ;-) )

Kitteh-Dragon

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »
Negligent discharges at gun shows are pretty rare. But 4-5 in a day in 4 different states? Enemy action.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.