Author Topic: Throw-over nylon saddlebags?  (Read 1999 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Throw-over nylon saddlebags?
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
I need a new set of cheap nylon saddlebags for my dirtbike.  I have a really old set that the zippers are all screwed up on it and the fabric is sun-baked.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheap is the name of the game here.  They're going on my XR600 and will wind up contacting the ground or snagging branches in unfriendly ways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Throw-over nylon saddlebags?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
I don't know if these are cheap enough, but I have been pleased with my Nelson-Rigg CL-855 bags on both the DR650 and the DL650.  About $ 130 or so at the major online retailers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
A bit too cheap, jamis.  I'd prefer at least some degree of water resistance and abrasion protection. 

Sub-$100 is what I'm after.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »
^^^ There is the Bilt stuff at Cycle Gear, but I know a lot of people who say you get what you pay for at Cycle Gear.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
Jamis: those actually look perfect for my use. How would one attach those so they don't fall off?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
Jamis: those actually look perfect for my use. How would one attach those so they don't fall off?

See the grommets?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
why not ammo cans?

The Triumph I have to walk by between buildings and drool over has ammo can panniers, pretty sick looking!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:23:27 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »
See the grommets?

Actually no, I was on my phone and couldn't see those.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
Nelson rigg ones are good
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »
why not ammo cans?

http://hasenwerk.ca/1997r1100gs/pannier/side.shot.with.panniers.jpg

The Triumph I have to walk by between buildings and drool over has ammo can panniers, pretty sick looking!

Because soft-sided ones are better when you're increasing your likelihood of joining your bike on the ground from time to time.  Such as on a dirtbike.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
Some decent options here. I like First gear and cortech stuff a lot

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/saddlebags_
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
Because soft-sided ones are better when you're increasing your likelihood of joining your bike on the ground from time to time.  Such as on a dirtbike.

So you ride your 600 like a 125 or 250 dirt bike?

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
So you ride your 600 like a 125 or 250 dirt bike?

I took it (well... tried to!) to some pretty gnarly stuff this weekend.  Fell down a couple times.  Road steep enough and rocky/pitted enough that my 2WD high clearance truck has trouble getting up it.
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
I took it (well... tried to!) to some pretty gnarly stuff this weekend.  Fell down a couple times.  Road steep enough and rocky/pitted enough that my 2WD high clearance truck has trouble getting up it.

Be careful. I had my share of 125 and 175 dirt bikes when I was younger and rode them like I stole them on the Mississippi River bluffs.

I have been thinking about one of those dual sport 600cc or bigger bikes to get back into motorcycle ownership. Figure they are something I can ride back and forth to work and still use to access remote fishing holes.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
Be careful. I had my share of 125 and 175 dirt bikes when I was younger and rode them like I stole them on the Mississippi River bluffs.

I have been thinking about one of those dual sport 600cc or bigger bikes to get back into motorcycle ownership. Figure they are something I can ride back and forth to work and still use to access remote fishing holes.

The eventual goal is to get rid of the Shadow and replace it with a Triumph Tiger 800XC, and augment that with something 250-400cc in a true dirt bike configuration.

I'm never going to sell that XR, I don't think.  I'll never get my money back out of it and it's just too damned bulletproof to be worth selling.  I may de-register and de-insure it, but then again, it's pocket change each year to do both of those things for it anyways.  More expensive to give it a couple oil changes a year.

But, it's too big of a bike for where I went.  If I had a 250cc with a granny first gear and fat knobbies I would have done a lot better than my Pirelli Scorpions and highway geared 600.  I think a 400cc DRZ and the XR600 on a flatbed trailer behind my truck would make for a heck of a fun package to tow around and play in the mountains.

Next chain/sprocket change it's going down one tooth on the engine sprocket and up one tooth on the rear wheel sprocket.

ETA: I know for a fact the thing will do 92mph and has PLENTY of lungs left to go faster.  I was terrified of the speed on that particular bike.  Not nearly stable enough for that kind of speed.  No problem losing top end down to 80-85mph and gaining a bit more low speed climbing stability.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:45:35 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
The eventual goal is to get rid of the Shadow and replace it with a Triumph Tiger 800XC, and augment that with something 250-400cc in a true dirt bike configuration.

I'm never going to sell that XR, I don't think.  I'll never get my money back out of it and it's just too damned bulletproof to be worth selling.  I may de-register and de-insure it, but then again, it's pocket change each year to do both of those things for it anyways.  More expensive to give it a couple oil changes a year.

But, it's too big of a bike for where I went.  If I had a 250cc with a granny first gear and fat knobbies I would have done a lot better than my Pirelli Scorpions and highway geared 600.  I think a 400cc DRZ and the XR600 on a flatbed trailer behind my truck would make for a heck of a fun package to tow around and play in the mountains.

Next chain/sprocket change it's going down one tooth on the engine sprocket and up one tooth on the rear wheel sprocket.

I would love to have 2 bikes: a dual sport and a bagger (Victory/Goldwing/BMW)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
I need a new set of cheap nylon saddlebags for my dirtbike.  I have a really old set that the zippers are all screwed up on it and the fabric is sun-baked.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheap is the name of the game here.  They're going on my XR600 and will wind up contacting the ground or snagging branches in unfriendly ways.
I have a set, plus tailbag, of CorTech (TourMaster) bags that ain't working' out for me on my V-Strom.  They are in (mostly) good shape, and have rain covers.  Interested?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »
I have a set, plus tailbag, of CorTech (TourMaster) bags that ain't working' out for me on my V-Strom.  They are in (mostly) good shape, and have rain covers.  Interested?

Sure.  Got pics?  What do you want for them?
--Lysander Spooner

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »
I know you said cheap but...

I bought a set of Wolfman E12 enduro side bags for the DRZ400. And a duffel. The whole set was ~$160, I think. 'Em are nice bags - not real big, though.

The plan was a 950-mile ride in May up in northern Wisconsin but the trails weren't open due to the late arrival of Spring up here.

Maybe look for some in the "horsey" section of Fleet Farm or such. I've seen the saddle bags made to fit as a tank bag by cutting a round hole in the middle that fits over the gas cap. A couple of paracord tie-downs and you're in.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
A bit too cheap, jamis.  I'd prefer at least some degree of water resistance and abrasion protection. 

Sub-$100 is what I'm after.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.