Author Topic: What caliber for bitey feral hogs?  (Read 3908 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What caliber for bitey feral hogs?
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
On the carcass, I would think it depends on what wildlife is there to feed on the thing.  If enough buzzards get after it, they will have it cleaned up in a couple days.  I have seen buzzard conventions before where there was apparently a dead cow or other large animal.

My Dad and I talked about how few coyotes there are now in the area I grew up.  He said he won't shoot them anymore.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »
MechAg94: "My Dad and I talked about how few coyotes there are now in the area I grew up.  He said he won't shoot them anymore."

An interesting point.  Are hogs becoming the main predators now?  Amongst the videos I thought I saw one carrying off a fawn, which triggered that thought in my mind.

It bothers me that they're in eastern Commierado now.  Maybe the Division Of Wildlife ought to pay attention to that, instead of otherwise legal hunters leaning their rifles against their trucks.  >:D

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 11:09:42 AM »
In the 24 years I've been on my place I've witnessed the cyclic balance of predator/prey.
Small game populations, most noticable is cottontail rabbits, begin to climb. Soon coyote and hawk population begins to climb. Small game numbers begin to diminish followed by a decrease in predators.  The decrease in predators relieves the pressure on prey species which allows them to begin to repopulate and feed an increased population of predators. Rinse, wring, repeat.
We are currently in a low swing of small game and I have noticed a decrease in coyotes.  I can usually hear them singing not far from the house when they are strong. Haven't heard them this Fall yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »
On what ammo to use, I don't know if it takes much.  Just get something that penetrates decently. 

My Dad and I show some more 1 gallon water jugs on Friday.  We shot Monarch 9mm and 45 HP ammo that Academy Sports sells along with a Brown Bear 7.62x39 SP and some Russian 62 grain SP 5.56x45.  The 5.56 was the only one that we recovered a bullet (3rd jug?).  The other threat went through 4 or 5 jubs of water, rupturing the first two pretty good.  I figured the 9mm and 45 rounds only mushroomed a little.  The 9mm was the 145 grain they sell.  The 45 was the Monarch brass 185 grain HP. 

I need to buy some cheap fleece blankets to use as a bullet stop like Paul Harrell. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
Apparently some folks do eat them:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/from-field-to-table-the-journey-of-a-tasty-feral-hog/

From what I've heard, the small, younger ones are pretty tasty, but the bigger and older they get, the more likely they are to be nasty.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2019, 02:33:19 PM »
Apparently some folks do eat them:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/from-field-to-table-the-journey-of-a-tasty-feral-hog/

Protein is protein.

I guess they are pretty tough to kill.  In the cited article, the hog was shot with a 7mm Remington Magnum, yet still ran off a short distance.  (Don't know what the shot placement was like, though.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:20 PM »
From what I've heard, the small, younger ones are pretty tasty, but the bigger and older they get, the more likely they are to be nasty.

Isn't that true for all edible critters?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
Isn't that true for all edible critters?

I am sure that I have become more tough and stringy as I have gotten older.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »
I'll take your word for it.