Author Topic: LAPD cop gone rogue?  (Read 38728 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: LAPD cop gone rogue?
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
My point is we do not know.

At least  they are trying to make amends. There isnt a way to truly compensate for what happened to the people but its a lot better than saying "screw them" and doing nothing

I'll believe they're trying to make amends when the cops who violated every rule in the book get tossed in jail, like any other citizen would have been, rather then get sent on paid leave.

Paid administrative leave is universal SOP in an officer involved shooting while the investigation is conducted.

If I were involved in an attempted murder that looked as bad as this, do you think they'd give me paid leave too?   ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
I will say this. NONE of us here know jack about the two shootings of the vehicles/drivers. So how about we all calm the hell down and see what shakes out when more info becomes available? Yall are always quick to crucify cops after OIS incidents (like the cops that shot the guy in the wheelchair...when it turned out he was trying to actively kill one of the LEOs using a knife). Im not defending or attacking the officers involved in the two shootings just yet, lets see what the rest of the story is. After all, the media is always so accurate and informative, especially with "breaking news"...

So it is OK for cops to discharge their weapons into a vehicle when they haven't even identified the occupants?

What are the allowable mitigating circumstances where it is understandable for police officers to do mag dumps into a vehicle containing live human beings who haven't been ID'd yet?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
So it is OK for cops to discharge their weapons into a vehicle when they haven't even identified the occupants?

What are the allowable mitigating circumstances where it is understandable for police officers to do mag dumps into a vehicle containing live human beings who haven't been ID'd yet?

I'm not really seeing any justifiable circumstance here.

A: They ID'd the occupants, in which case they were shooting at people that were obviously NOT the suspect.

B: They did not ID the occupants, in which case they're firing blindly at unknown targets.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »
I'll believe they're trying to make amends when the cops who violated every rule in the book get tossed in jail, like any other citizen would have been, rather then get sent on paid leave.

If I were involved in an attempted murder that looked as bad as this, you think they'd give me paid leave too?   ;/

Then lets hang them right the *expletive deleted* now, no trial. While where at it, any other time  an LEO shoots some one and you dont like the way it looks in a news article, hang them immediately based on the news articles. After all all of yall know everything there is to know about the situation...

And while we are at it, same thing goes for CCW carriers. First negative news article? Get the rope! Military? Same rules too buddy.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Paid administrative leave is universal SOP in an officer involved shooting while the investigation is conducted.

Doesn't make it right. When you shoot up the wrong car, one that doesn't even look like your suspect's car, your ass should be sitting in a cell
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Then lets hang them right the *expletive deleted* now, no trial. While where at it, any other time  an LEO shoots some one and you dont like the way it looks in a news article, hang them immediately based on the news articles. After all all of yall know everything there is to know about the situation...

Yeah, because arresting an officer and treating him like every other citizen would be in the same circumstance is the SAME thing as hanging him right *expletive deleted*ing now. ;/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Then lets hang them right the *expletive deleted* now, no trial. While where at it, any other time  an LEO shoots some one and you dont like the way it looks in a news article, hang them immediately based on the news articles. After all all of yall know everything there is to know about the situation...

And while we are at it, same thing goes for CCW carriers. First negative news article? Get the rope! Military? Same rules too buddy.

How, avenger, would you suppose it worked out of someone else did what they did? Think they'd get to take a paid vaca while events were investigated?

I got 100 dollars that says these officers are back on the force in no time, despite dumping ammo into a vehicle they didn't properly identify.

If the cops want to equip themselves for a war zone, fine. But they shouldn't get away with this kind of collateral damage.

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »

I didnt say it was. The investigation is under way.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »

And, during the investigation, they should be in jail like anyone else would be. Not collecting pay and hanging out at home.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
How, avenger, would you suppose it worked out of someone else did what they did? Think they'd get to take a paid vaca while events were investigated?

Well, technically when you're sitting in a jail cell while you attempt to scrounge up enough money to make bail they're feeding you AND you don't have to work, so it's KIND of like a paid vacation.  [barf]

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
Two words,

Police Union

Can't treat the cops like everyone else, the brotherhood won't allow that to happen.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »

I understand your point, and the others' points as well.  However, regardless of investigation results, there are two facts that are absolutely known at this time:
1. The women were not the guy they were looking for
2. They were unarmed (PD statement confirms)

Thus:
I'm not really seeing any justifiable circumstance here.

A: They ID'd the occupants, in which case they were shooting at people that were obviously NOT the suspect.

B: They did not ID the occupants, in which case they're firing blindly at unknown targets.

Is absolutely a fair assessment, regardless of investigation result,  well, except for the highly unlikely result that they had a command detonated nuclear weapon in the truck, and were coincidentally discovered by police by virtual accident.

It is the "wait for investigation" that we TRY to apply to civilians, but the press and everyone else doesn't care about, but when its LEO's, its expected, and thus judge,net is delayed.  A badge doesn't make you beyond the law.  In ANY officer involved shooting, the response of ALL involved (including the justice system) should be IDENTICAL to a civilian involved shooting.  To do otherwise, makes it a "me and not thee" situation.

I'm sorry, but if these two were civilians, they would be in jail, held without bail.

In most officer involved shootings, just like in most DGU situations, an immediate non-punitive response/confinement isn't necessary or even done (except n CA). 

However, this is NOT a normal shoot. 

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
Danzigwr Bridge murders. New Orl

birdman

• friend
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
Danzigwr Bridge murders. New Orl

Point being?  They were taking into custody FIFTEEN MONTHS after the shooting.  Nice to wait that long.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
Point being?  They were taking into custody FIFTEEN MONTHS after the shooting.  Nice to wait that long.

They were still investigated, then charged and tried. They didnt get away with it. And that was in a truly corrupt dept/city

The LAPD officers involved in those shootings can still be charged and tried.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
I am more concerned about a police organization where such a thing is even conceivable  :mad:

Stuff like this doesn't happen in a vacuum.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »
I just want to point out the boomhauerism that came up, for grins and giggles:

After all all of yall

lulz.

=D

Back to your regularly scheduled peanut gallery. [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
They were still investigated, then charged and tried. They didnt get away with it. And that was in a truly corrupt dept/city

The LAPD officers involved in those shootings can still be charged and tried.

I'm sure they will.
However, they are free right now, with no bond.  If it was a civilian that did the exact same thing, they would be in the pokey.  That is my point. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
I think Avenger is right on this. The apparently bad shooting investigation is being handled (from what we know, anyway) exactly the way it would be in any department in America. We may not like that police are handled differently in a lot of ways, but that is true independent of the situation (i.e. deranged, murderous ex-cop on the loose and trigger happy cops doing mag dumps into random trucks) or department.

I don't see how an investigation could vindicate the actions of these cops, but I'll give them the same opportunity as anyone else. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:58:11 PM by cordex »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
They aren't getting the same chance as anyone else, that's the point
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
Impunity breeds abuse.

That is what is so disturbing about cops getting free passes and blind eyes turned towards their actions. Hurting people becomes a laughing matter.

The reason they unloaded into the unknown vehicle in such a reckless manner is because their culture of impunity has taught them that no real consequences would come of it. Just do what you feel like, and then maybe get some remedial training worst case scenario.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »

I'd like to hear George Zimmerman's opinion on this.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Regarding the two "shoot first and ID later" LAPD incidents:

1. Any non-LEO would be in jail.  CHL or no CHL.

2. They would be lucky if they could make bond by getting a second mortgage on their house. 

3. How many days/weeks would their employer wait until they made bond before firing them?

4. Whoops, they got fired?  Now they can't get that second mortgage because without employment, they can't swing the payments.

This is quite a bit different from the way LAPD's Finest are being treated.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »
remember that wikki leaks video?  guys in a chopper wasted a couple kids in a mistake?  what kinda punishment did they get?  charges?  second mortgage or any of the other interesting stuff you mentionedfantasized about?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

erictank

• friends
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

So what, we should let 'em off, instead?

They did things that would have you or I *UNDER* the jail while we waited for trial. They did these things either after identifying their chosen targets as being someone OTHER than the guy they're hunting for, or after FAILING to ID those targets. Either way, that would make their position WORSE.

Not seeing anything defensible or excusable there. They need to be doing it BETTER than us. They're doing it WORSE. :facepalm: