Author Topic: I can see you!  (Read 1319 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I can see you!
« on: April 28, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »
This is almost scary

US Army New Enhanced Night Vision Goggle-Binoculars (ENVG-B) Demonstrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tUFy8hbJy0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: I can see you!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
My best friend retired as an aerospace engineer working for a defense contractor. He worked on military drone program and other things. He said any new “latest” technology we see is probably 5-10 years old.
He won’t tell me what cool stuff he has seen or worked with. He had a super awesome work-supplied phone when he was still working though. He had to take a call one time when we were in the fishing boat and when he was done I said hey where can I get a phone like that.
He said, “You can’t.”
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
I'm curious about its robustness against EMP.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »
I'm curious about its robustness against EMP.

What about ELO?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 09:52:11 PM »
My best friend retired as an aerospace engineer working for a defense contractor. He worked on military drone program and other things. He said any new “latest” technology we see is probably 5-10 years old.
He won’t tell me what cool stuff he has seen or worked with.

I’m currently in one of those drone offices and there’s some really cool (and scary) stuff we’re putting on/in them right now!

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:27 PM »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
You can buy similar NVGs now.  TNVC sells them.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
Or BTO.

Or ELP ...

I'm more of a BLT fan myself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 10:12:38 PM »
POGs   :P
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 10:30:09 PM »
REMFs ...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 11:12:59 PM »
ABWH.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 08:56:01 AM »
Sorry, I am thread drifting back to the OP.
----------------------
Looking at the video, I guess there is a video processor identifying people and things rather than relying on changing color or contrast?  There doesn't seem to be much differentiation.  The mortar tube is the same color as the people.  Same with the machine gun.  If the processor can accurately identify everything, that is great, but can it do that all the time and at distance?  You are depending a lot on the processor to highlight everything. 

The way it puts lines on the landscape looks like it could cause issues.  I wonder if it makes it easier not to step in a hole at night?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:17:36 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »
That is a pretty dark night, and the NODS are relying more heavily on the Thermal side.  That's the outline you are seeing.  Where thermal is not great is large expanses of similar temp stuff, like the ground.  I think what you are seeing as "lines in the landscape" looks like the lowlight side of the scope adding grass and differentiation to a thermally consistent surface.

I'm not an expert on these exact NODS, but I don't think there's a video processor actively identifying and highlighting things.  The gold lines are just the steep thermal gradients from the thermal side of the scope.

If there were more ambient light, I think you'd see more of the white phosphorus image, and you'd be able to pick out camo patterns and stuff like that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 10:20:51 AM »
////
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:59:30 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
I think I'll stock up big on those chemical pocket handwarmers and chem lights. Scattered around in the right circumstances they should play heck with NV and thermal imagining.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
That is a pretty dark night, and the NODS are relying more heavily on the Thermal side.  That's the outline you are seeing.  Where thermal is not great is large expanses of similar temp stuff, like the ground.  I think what you are seeing as "lines in the landscape" looks like the lowlight side of the scope adding grass and differentiation to a thermally consistent surface.

I'm not an expert on these exact NODS, but I don't think there's a video processor actively identifying and highlighting things.  The gold lines are just the steep thermal gradients from the thermal side of the scope.

If there were more ambient light, I think you'd see more of the white phosphorus image, and you'd be able to pick out camo patterns and stuff like that.
If it is all thermal, how come the mortar and machine barrels are not highlighted separately? 
I guess part of it is the way it overlays low light and thermal images together.  Just looks weird.  However, it does look like it is easier to use with less training/practice than the low light only unit I have.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »
I think I'll stock up big on those chemical pocket handwarmers and chem lights. Scattered around in the right circumstances they should play heck with NV and thermal imagining.

Not really, no.

If it is all thermal, how come the mortar and machine barrels are not highlighted separately? 
I guess part of it is the way it overlays low light and thermal images together.  Just looks weird.  However, it does look like it is easier to use with less training/practice than the low light only unit I have.

I'm not sure, I haven't played with those new optics.  That just looked like the thermal overlay on a low light I have played with.