Author Topic: New Calif Law on Traffic Stops  (Read 374 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New Calif Law on Traffic Stops
« on: December 29, 2023, 09:41:01 AM »
Shockingly, could CA have done something right here?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-california-law-change-way-police-officers-interact-drivers-pedestrians

I still recall years ago, and I think I posted about it here, getting pulled over by a CA Highway Patrol cop for speeding (and I was). Besides the "Why did I pull you over?" crap, my problem was that he focused on my Maxpedition ruck (as I recall, he said something to the effect that it was not "normal") and started giving me the third degree about what I was doing, what was in the ruck, etc. Still bugs me to this day. I drove away with just the ticket, but it could have gone sideways, especially with a legally stored pistol in the ruck.

On the other hand, I got pulled over by an Oregon State Trooper last year, and besides being friendly and telling me why he pulled me over, I'm pretty sure my telling him that I was armed with a CCW license got me a warning instead of a ticket.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: New Calif Law on Traffic Stops
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 04:10:46 PM »
I don't see how this law will in any way reduce pretextual stops.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 07:17:23 PM »
Seems like a positive improvement I would say. "Do you know why I pulled you over" has always been blatant fishing and an attempt to get the driver to waive the 5th.

I don't like police enforcing traffic law in general though. It's sort of a waste of police resources, so either they are taken away from peacekeeping functions, or they use peacekeeping functions as an excuse to do absolutely no traffic enforcement. I swear license plates are effectively optional in the PNW now; the cops are on soft strike in general but any attempt to call them on it gets a "we have other priorities".

They should create programs where citizens can submit dashcam video of traffic violations.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 07:56:44 PM »
 :rofl:

zahc is the living embodiment of the “nobody: “ meme.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 11:18:15 PM »
"Do you know why I pulled you over" has always been blatant fishing and an attempt to get the driver to waive the 5th.

>:D Although I have never had a chance to reply to that question, I always thought of replying to the officer with this:  "I'm sorry but I'm not a telepath.  I have no idea what you might have been thinking."  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 10:54:24 AM »
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
I got asked that once. I replied "because I f'ed up and totally misjudge that light back there.
He looked at me for a moment and said "Sounds like you know what you did, have a nice day" and got back into his car.
I have a funny feeling that if I had replied "because you're a f'ing ahole!" things would have gone a bit differently
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:21:37 AM »
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
I got asked that once. I replied "because I f'ed up and totally misjudge that light back there.
He looked at me for a moment and said have a nice day and got back into his car.
I have a funny feeling that if I had replied "because you're a f'ing ahole!" things would have gone a bit differently

In the early 90's, I had time and more attitude than I do now and said  "you wanted to thank me for my excellent driving?" He was obviously fishing. I don't remember the exact conversation, but I was a wise guy through the whole thing. He changed the reason he pulled me over and I called him on it. I passed the stupid human tricks and breathalyzer, refused a search, sat in the back of the cruiser while tried but failed to get a dog. He eventually let me go with a BS warning.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?