Author Topic: Claims of a Tiny Nuclear Battery That Can Last 50 Years: Real or Nah?  (Read 396 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Claims of a Tiny Nuclear Battery That Can Last 50 Years: Real or Nah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGdj-2O6mA

Betavolt says its diamond nuclear battery can power devices for 50 years
https://newatlas.com/energy/betavolt-diamond-nuclear-battery/
China's Betavolt New Energy Technology has unveiled a new modular nuclear battery that uses a combination of a nickel-63 (⁶³Ni) radioactive isotope and a 4th-generation diamond semiconductor and can power a device for 50 years.

Interest tech. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: Claims of a Tiny Nuclear Battery That Can Last 50 Years: Real or Nah?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 11:00:27 AM »
Assuming the tech is real, I bet these batteries won't be cheap. The regulatory and waste stream considerations will be considerable - the Ni-63 being used has a half life of 100.1 years.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 11:06:30 AM »
Eevblog had a good video on the topic.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 11:06:51 AM »
And of course for Gen TikTok we will have to put "Do Not Eat" labels on them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 11:44:00 AM »
Weren't "atomic batteries" a really important technology in the Foundation novels?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 12:44:54 PM »
Weren't "atomic batteries" a really important technology in the Foundation novels?
Super duper battery tech was an important technology in a lot of sci-fi novels. H. Beam Piper had "nuclear electric" power cells which were available in different sizes, but were heavy. John W. Campbell used "accumulators" in at least one of his novels which could be charged up to store something like 30,000 kilowatt hours per pound of weight - that's SO many orders of magnitude above what we have (or what is allowed by current theory) I expect it will remain in the realm of science fiction for a long, long time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 01:02:40 PM »
I guess technically, this isn't really a battery.  It is a micro-nuclear generator.  Maybe a non-rechargeable battery. 

Robert Heinlein's Friday had Shipstones, but they had to be charged up I believe. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 01:12:25 PM »
I can see this finding use (as is) in satellites or other places where a reliable backup power supply is important and could deal with the cost.  Maybe key electrical or comms distribution nodes and such.  If it was cheap, having one in your home router would keep the fiber comms up no matter if the power was out.   Skynet would love it.

I was thinking 3volts is close to what cells phones use (I didn't look for mention of amps).  A cell phone with a 50 year battery would be interesting.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 01:21:10 PM »
I was thinking 3volts is close to what cells phones use (I didn't look for mention of amps).  A cell phone with a 50 year battery would be interesting.   =)

From the article

The BV100 can produce 100 microwatts at 3 volts

Sounds pretty low to me for a useful battery

Although

According to the company, the BV100 is in pilot production with an eye on mass production. A larger one-watt version is expected in 2025

Still low IMHO but sounds much more useful
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 07:19:25 PM »
In the 70's there was a plutonium powered pacemaker battery that generated electricity from heat produced by radioactive decay.  There are still some out there still working.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 07:22:40 PM »
In the 70's there was a plutonium powered pacemaker battery that generated electricity from heat produced by radioactive decay.  There are still some out there still working.

47 years later Voyager 1 and 2 are still being powered by theirs.
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 10:54:46 PM »
47 years later Voyager 1 and 2 are still being powered by theirs.

The RTGs on those and other deep space probes had occurred to me as well.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 12:36:45 AM »
There is a difference between RTGs and betavoltaics.

RTGs generate heat and use heat engines to generate electricity. They can be moderately big and generate moderate amounts of power, but are usually too radioactive to be around.

Betavoltaics do not generate heat. They use beta decay to directly generate electricity in a manner basically the same as a solar cell but for beta particles instead of photons. They can be safe for humans and are normally small.

There are other devices harder to categorize that make electricity from radioactive decay as well with a variety of junctions, phossphors etc.

Basically none the above could be a cell phone battery; that's science fiction.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 02:05:20 AM »
Basically none the above could be a cell phone battery; that's science fiction.

That's what they said about Dick Tracy's 2-way wrist radio ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 02:30:58 AM »

As a kid, I had to replace these monsters that powered our household doorbells, I am no longer surprised by any size reductions or huge energy densities of modern batteries.

For example, I am amazed at how long the batteries in hobby drones last in those airborne videos.

And AFAIK, we're still getting signals from that interstellar space probe.  Wow, like QRPness!

Oh, and I always feel obligated to bring up Dick Tracy's wrist radio and later wrist TV, so thanks, Hawkmoon!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:14:22 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2024, 07:18:32 AM »

RTGs generate heat and use heat engines to generate electricity. They can be moderately big and generate moderate amounts of power, but are usually too radioactive to be around.

Betavoltaics do not generate heat. They use beta decay to directly generate electricity in a manner basically the same as a solar cell but for beta particles instead of photons. They can be safe for humans and are normally small.

Yeah I know. Just an example of how radioactive decay has been used to generate power but in a somewhat different way
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 10:09:05 AM »

The pacemaker battery I mentioned is supposed to generate electricty from heat.  Is it not an RTG?

I did read that there were betavoltic pacemaker batteries, but they did not use plutonium.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2024, 04:45:32 PM »
The battery is nice and tiny and light but the lead enclosure is 6" diameter and weighs 45 pounds.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.