Author Topic: Travel Advice: Hawaii  (Read 1514 times)

cfabe

• friend
Travel Advice: Hawaii
« on: August 28, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »
My wife-to-be and I are going to honeymoon in hawaii. We will have about 12 days, and as of now are thinking we'd liek to spend some time on oahu and some time on bigisland. Things we definately want to see are pearl harbor, and volcanos national park. The rest is up in the air at this point, so suggestions on where to stay, things to do, food to try, etc is appreciated. As far as activities we are more interested in outdoorsy nature activites than night clubs, but I'd like to see it all as much as possible.  I'm really struggling to find accomidations that look nice, I don't want to stay in a high-rise resort hotel, but in searching for cottages and bed and breakfasts I'm just finding really unprofessional looking websites and reservation services. I don't want to end up in someone's spare bedroom either. Price range is budget to moderate. So, lets hear it your suggestions.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:10:56 AM »
Be prepared, pretty much everything on Hawaii (big island) and Oahu is heavily commercialized and geared to mining tourist dollars. Beautiful? Yes. Exotic? Yep, but in a very structured Disney sort of way.

Thumbs up on your volcano tour. A definite must-see. Ditto Pearl Harbor (take your time here - the more time you spend observing and reflecting the more moving the experience).

Be sure to stop and get some pineapple. Small roadside stand, preferably.

Do some digging on the net and try to find a small, family-based tour service. If nothing else, they can recommend out-of-the-way local attractions, both natural and man-made, that will be more interesting than some of the more heavily developed tourist-traps.

Wikipedia page for the Hawaiian Islands - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_islands

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:04:41 AM »
There is no shortfall of things to do.  I have never been to either island you are going to except for the airport.

We spend our time on either Maui or Kauai, we did Maui for our Honeymoon 11yrs ago and had a blast.

If you can avoid the timeshare speech I would suggest it but you can get some good deals if you go that direction.  Don't plan on doing anything the first day other than relaxing with fruity drinks and a good meal.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with those islands.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:14:49 AM »
On the Big Island --

www.konaweb.com will give you all you need for things to see and do

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
Be sure to stop and get some pineapple. Small roadside stand, preferably.
That was the best part as far as I'm concerned. I was never there long enough to see any volcanos though...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:33 AM »
I'd try to take in the Arizona memorial and tour the USS Missouri . . . I understand they have some Missouri tours which take you below decks & show you things like the engine room.

If you get to the big island, be sure to pick up a couple pounds of 100% Kona coffee to bring home . . . beware of "Kona BLEND" coffee, it's only 10% Kona.

For "outdoorsy" nature activities, the big island DOES offer some hunting up in the hills. There also used to be a tourist submarine operating on the west coast of the island - maybe it's still there.

If you go to one of the tourist "luaus" be aware that poi - the native dish - tastes like mud.

Since you're going there on your honeymoon, I guess I don't have to warn you to stay away from the native girls in grass skirts with your weedwacker . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:40:40 PM »
Nope, native girls won't be too much of a problem. Shooting or hunting would be intersting but I'm sure it is rediculously overpriced and catered to the japanese tourists rather than americans who can go shooting at home. The submarine would be cool as my fiance likes sea life and ocean things. We do plan to do some snorkeling as well. I will be on the big island, and though not a coffee drinker myself, I will pick up some coffee for my parents.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:21:26 PM »
My wife and I went there in (Oahu) '84...loved it.

On the advice of a coworker we booked an airfare/hotel package.  It was a good deal.  We rented a car at the airport for the duration (6 nights/7days).  My wife is a major tightwad, so we hit an ABC store (Hawaii's equivalant of the 7-11) and picked up a medium styrofoam cooler, bread, mayo, mustard, cheese, lunchmeat, chips & sodas.  We ate our lunch everyday on a picnic table.  There was a "Perry Bros Smorgy" on the first floor of a hotel on Wikikii Beach that served bkfst for $3.99/lunch $4.99/dinner $6.99...we ate several meals there.  We planned on one "really good" dining experience a day, the best of which was the Crouching Lion Inn on the North Shore.

This may sound strange, but be sure to go on a Luau trip planned by your hotel.  The bus ride with "Cousin Sam" at the microphone was a hoot.  He had us all singing songs, etc.  The food/show on the beach were so-so, but the endless Mai-Tai's and stumbling back to the hotel room at 0200 was priceless.

If you book a package and you see an "Orientation Bkfst" offered, be sure to attend.  It's put on by the Hawaii Tourism Bureau and you'll pick up a lot of great info.

Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona, Morman Cultural Center, Polynesian Village, Pineapple Processing Plant (LOVE that juice!!!) and snorkeling at somethingorother bay South of Diamond Head were all very memorable.  

Go.  Enjoy.  Don't try to move there!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »
Big Island, windward side.  You can rent snorkeling gear, $10 for 7 days. Then snorkel Kahalu.  Its a nature preserve thing.  Lots of sea turtles and the like.  Send me a PM if youd like me to send oyu some pics of there....but they are all ubderwater pics.

Underwater pics...$8 underwater cameras from Walmart work fine.  There is a Walmart close if needed.  Most neat things in Kona are on Ali'i Drive.  I recommend Lulu's.  depending on when you are going, I may be able to arrange a 1/2 of fishing, for free...

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »
Oahu:

Hanauma Bay Park for snorkeling. I used to take a couple of bags of frozen peas with me and once out in the water start dropping them. You become engulfed in fish as they eat the peas. I don't think you can do that anymore, or at least you don't want to get caught. Get there early in the morning, before all the tourists get there!

While on that side of the island, go to the Maui blowhole. A volcanic tube that water rushes into and then blows out the top. Good for an hour or so. There is also a blowhole there called the toilet bowl. Do not get in it for a ride, no matter what people tell you. You wanna see my scars?

Drive around the island to Kaneohe Bay, look at all the things on the way, stop for shave ice, look at the mountains. Then drive back to Wakiwaki by going over the middle of the island. A great way to spend the day.

As others have said, tour the pineapple plantation, drink the juice, eat lots of pineapple, bring some home.

Find a decent place to buy Hawaiian shirts, Hilo Hattie is good, but spendy.

Spend the day on the beach, you are married, not dead. Great eyeball liberty! Try to be discreet, the new Mrs. may not see the humor!

Go to the beach at night, preferably under a bright moon.

Go up to Diamond Head and look around.

Go to the USS Arizona memorial, try to be nice to the Japanese there. I wasn't, I should have been.

If so inclined, and have the time, visit Punchbowl National Cemetery. One of the most moving of all National cemeteries. It is inside an extinct volcano.

Then go to the Big Island.

bob

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:49:22 AM »
Been to both islands twice, but it was some time ago, so not so good on the memory thing. As has been said, the opportunities to seperate you from your dollars are endless.
Oahu:
For the Pearl Harbor tour, make sure you take the official Arizona Memorial tour. There are others, but they are limited in where they can go.
A definite +1 on Perry's Smorgy.
Take a sunset dinner cruise.
Go to a luau and get stupid drunk. When the dancers invite you up for hula lessons, go for it. Great fun and years worth of blackmail photos.
Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Ditto on the go early to avoid the crowds.
Go up to the North Shore and watch the surfers (Banzai Pipeline). The best waves are in the winter, but it's all good.
The Polynesian Cultural Center was a little too Disneyland for my taste, but lots of folks like it.

Big Island:
You'll likely stay in Kailua-Kona, a smaller-scale version of Waikiki. The big island is (was) more laid back.
If you're into that sort of thing, try marlin fishing. You can go half-day or full-day and try to share a charter to keep the cost down.
Parasailing is also a lot of fun, as is scuba diving.

If you'll be renting a car, get yourself a good local map. If a beach is noted as "locals only", do yourself a favor and stay away.
Re: accomodations; do a little research and try to find a condo to stay in. Much roomier and more private than the big hotel thing.

Oh, and congrats on getting married!!!
Have fun.