Author Topic: Zimmerman Medical Report Shows Broken Nose, Lacerations..."  (Read 79770 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Zimmerman Medical Report Shows Broken Nose, Lacerations..."
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »
Fistful, what do you beleive is different about leaving the front door for skittles, and leaving your car to follow a suspicious person who looked at you, and then ran away?   I'm not sure why anyone else should be troubled to explain how those two situations are fundamentally different.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »

heck then he could have taken the kid for a car ride  drowned him then expect the medal of freedom in a few decades

LOL!!!! - I really did laugh, really loud, scared the cat and the dogs looked concerned.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
AmbulanceDriver, your read of the statute might make sense to you, but I can guarantee you that in framing the instruction, the standard for "exhaust all reasonable means" of escape will be one that is essentially impossible to meet, as it is in most jurisdictions.

Really doesn't inspire much faith in judges or the legal system.  "Yes, the law was written explicitly to account for this exception, but I am going to rig it such that it reflects the outcome I desire."

I wonder, what duty toward honesty (in dealing with agents of the gov't) do we have when they explicitly deal dishonestly with us?

"Rushing to meet danger." "Make yourself unsafe." The problem with these phrases is that, when you apply them to George Zimmerman, you're talking about a guy who was asked to keep an eye on his neighborhood. Making himself unsafe, and putting himself in danger, is what his neighbors wanted him to do for the safety of the neighborhood. If this is made the element of a crime, how can we be free to walk through our own neighborhoods? How can any future Trayvon Martins or George Zimmermans go out for Skittles or keep an eye out for burglars, if merely leaving their car or their house on foot is going to be seen as initiating a conflict?

I don't doubt that a jury might see exiting one's car in one's own neighborhood as damning evidence for GZ. I just wonder why you seem to be pulling for that point of view.

It is to the state's benefit and to lawyers' benefit to require a talmudic scholar to examine one's actions for any possibly adverse interpretation before any action is taken.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2012, 08:17:29 AM »
Roo ster, do you honestly believe it takes a scholar to see how going into the dark after some guy who you think is behaving suspiciously could lead to bad things???

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
Roo ster, do you honestly believe it takes a scholar to see how going into the dark after some guy who you think is behaving suspiciously could lead to bad things???

Bad choices do not justification for a hellacious beating make.

I don't think anyone has argued that Zimmerman is intelligent.

In fact, I think most everyone here agrees that Zimmerman is a gigantic moron.

However, comma, once he started getting slammed into the pavement and was in danger, use of force was justified.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

COULD is the operative word here. That "could" is a slightly higher chance of bad things happening, not a certainty.

Walking out my door could lead to bad things too.

I'm not going to play monday morning quarterback and attack Zimmerman's intelligence. I would venture to guess that 9 times out of ten, going out of your house or getting out of your car to see what some miscreant youth had been up to will result in absolutely nothing happening. In fact, I'd bet the odds are even higher than that.

In hindsight, he would have been far better off staying in the car. Without the benefit of hindsight, I cannot make that determination.

According to Zimmerman's version, he stepped out to see where Martin had run to and then was attempting to find an address- both actions in response to questions from the dispatcher. Allow me to show you the transcript:

He’s running. [2:08]

911 dispatcher:

He’s running? Which way is he running?

Zimmerman:

Down toward the other entrance of the neighborhood. [2:14]

911 dispatcher:

OK, which entrance is that he’s headed towards?

Zimmerman:

The back entrance.

911 dispatcher:

Are you following him? [2:24]

Zimmerman:

Yeah. [2:25]

911 dispatcher:

OK.

We don’t need you to do that. [2:26]

Zimmerman:

OK. [2:28]

911 dispatcher:

Alright, sir, what is your name? [2:34]

Zimmerman:

George. He ran.

911 dispatcher:

Alright, where are you going to meet with them at?

Zimmerman:

Um, if they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the clubhouse and, uh, straight past the clubhouse and make a left and then go past the mailboxes you’ll see my truck. [3:10]

911 dispatcher:

Alright, what address are you parked in front of? [3:21]

Zimmerman:

Um, I don’t know. It’s a cut-through so I don’t know the address. [3:25]

So maybe he shouldn't have been so pro-active in trying to be able to answer the dispatcher's questions, but I'm not willing to condemn a man for that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
Fistful, what do you beleive is different about leaving the front door for skittles, and leaving your car to follow a suspicious person who looked at you, and then ran away?   I'm not sure why anyone else should be troubled to explain how those two situations are fundamentally different.

Then explain it, please. Am I now supposed to hide in my house or my car, if someone looks at me? If a suspicious person is in my neighborhood, have I now a duty to remain hidden? Is running away now to be taken as a challenge to a duel? You said it would be easy to explain. Well?

How can you justify Trayvon Martin's going out alone, after dark, merely to get Skittles and beverage? Was he not aware that burglaries had been going on? Did he not have a duty to stay in the house, lest he encounter one of these miscreants? And didn't Trayvon Martin further realize he might look suspicious and therefore provoke a confrontation with the neighborhood watch?

Edited to add:
In my last few posts, I'm not talking about the whole case, or the totality of the evidence. I'm just talking about Zimmerman getting out of his car and going on foot, and how or why that would incriminate him. Allegedly, getting out of the car, having seen a suspicious person walking away, makes Z liable for M's death. If it were alleged that Z had said, "I think he will attack me," or "He looks like he's going to assault someone," the allegation might make sense. But Z's comments to police only pertained to M looking suspicious and burglars getting away with stuff. That does not make Z look like he was knowingly entering into a confrontation.

I heard some cars were broken into at Shakespeare Festival St. Louis, last night. I was planning to go, tomorrow, but I guess I'd better not.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:00:52 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
Hey kids, I did a little bit of research on the issue of self-defense under Florida law.  Let me say that it is nothing at all like Ohio law. The reason I point this out is that all of my opinions were based on 18 years of experience in Ohio.  Florida has specific statutes regarding self-defense.  They also have a specific staute on this issue, § 776.041. Use of force by aggressor, which states:

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

So now the question is not so much whether it was smart or dumb for Zimmerman to leave his car, but whether his actions of leaving his car and following Martin would be considered sufficient provocation to justify Martin's use of force against Zimmerman.

I still don't believe that this case is an easy win for Zimmerman, but I'm going to graciously bow out of further debate.  Florida law is far different than Ohio law, and I don't have the time or inclination to spend the time necessary to reasearch Florida case law to gain enough knowledge to further comment on the case or give opinions as to what may happen.

My parting words on this thread are to express that I still hope that this case doesn't result in bad laws being passed which will haunt all of us and our rights under 2A to defend ourselves and our families.  I fear that it will.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Hey kids, I did a little bit of research on the issue of self-defense under Florida law.  Let me say that it is nothing at all like Ohio law. The reason I point this out is that all of my opinions were based on 18 years of experience in Ohio.  Florida has specific statutes regarding self-defense.  They also have a specific staute on this issue, § 776.041. Use of force by aggressor, which states:

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

So now the question is not so much whether it was smart or dumb for Zimmerman to leave his car, but whether his actions of leaving his car and following Martin would be considered sufficient provocation to justify Martin's use of force against Zimmerman.

I still don't believe that this case is an easy win for Zimmerman, but I'm going to graciously bow out of further debate.  Florida law is far different than Ohio law, and I don't have the time or inclination to spend the time necessary to reasearch Florida case law to gain enough knowledge to further comment on the case or give opinions as to what may happen.

My parting words on this thread are to express that I still hope that this case doesn't result in bad laws being passed which will haunt all of us and our rights under 2A to defend ourselves and our families.  I fear that it will.

Chris, I'm right there with ya on the worry of "Bad cases make bad laws"......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
Chris, I'm right there with ya on the worry of "Bad cases make bad laws"......

My problem is that this isn't a "bad case." This is a "racially charged case".

If Mr. Martin had been white, does anyone honestly believe this would have made it past the cops' decision that it was self-defense?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
My problem is that this isn't a "bad case." This is a "racially charged case".

If Mr. Martin had been white, does anyone honestly believe this would have made it past the cops' decision that it was self-defense?

or if zmmerman was black
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »
imo the case will drag out till the winter time, after the November election.
GZ is cleared on all charges, some of the radlibs who have half the attention span of Rev Al Charlatan will frown and whine and Romney will appoint an awesome SCOTUS Judge and we will finally have National Reciprocity.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »

Based on the assumption that Zimmerman legally defended himself, what harm would it do to his case if he said that he normally does not carry a gun but keeps one in the car and slipped it into his pocket before getting out of the vehicle, just in case ....

I'm sure I read that his PF-9 was in a holster so that is not the case here but would it hurt his right to defend himself if he had slipped it into his belt before exiting the vehicle ?

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Chris, I had read the statutes and taken a cruise through some of the FL online resources - SYG definitely changes things in terms of affirmative defense vs elements, but this isn't an SYG case.  The exceptions in the statute for "exhausting all reasonable means of escape" and "withdrawing from physical contact" essentially replicate common law rules applying to the aggressor.    As in most jurisdictions, being classified as the aggressor makes self-defense an unlikely claim.

Fistful, yes, if youre following someone slowly in your car, and that person runs away from you into a dark alleyway, you should be expected to know that the person wants to get away from you, and that following the person into the alleyway could be seen as initiating a confrontation.   There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about asking the public to be able to work that out for themselves in similar circumstances.

The totality of the evidence matters greatly in every shooting.  You can't ignore it and expect to have a meaningful discussion about a case.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #264 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »

Fistful, yes, if youre following someone slowly in your car, and that person runs away from you into a dark alleyway, you should be expected to know that the person wants to get away from you, and that following the person into the alleyway could be seen as initiating a confrontation.   There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about asking the public to be able to work that out for themselves in similar circumstances.

The totality of the evidence matters greatly in every shooting.  You can't ignore it and expect to have a meaningful discussion about a case.

Yes, that was my point - that it can't be as simple as just exiting one's vehicle or other "place of safety."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #265 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

Kettle, pot
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
Precisely the same reason Batman does not kill:

he injects himself into situations, and thus, to kill would not be self defense.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

he injects himself into situations, and thus, to kill would not be self defense.
By this logic, when a police officer on patrol is attacked and kills a perp, it's not self defense, either.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
they just revoked his bond over him having more cash stashed than they knew about and an alleged second passport
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
they just revoked his bond over him having more cash stashed than they knew about and an alleged second passport

He has had problems with the law before .... he's not exactly a shining example of righteous armed self-defense that the NRA would like to use in their magazine examples.
I say that independently of whether or not he is criminally liable for the Martin shooting.......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »

If only he were a drunk driving Kenyan illegal alien, he'd be out on bail...   :lol:

Like GZ could R-U-N-O-F-T and not be hounded to ground.  Maybe he could build a raft out of inner tubes and plywood and drift off to Haiti.

At the moment, he's the "white hispanic" John Demjanjuk: gonna get hunted down and tried, no matter what...and likely the trials will continue until the "right" verdict is found.

Also, the whole, "If'n you can afford bail and a competent defense, we're not going to let you out on bail to help your defense," kind of stinks.

Last, does anyone really think he poses a threat?  I think his neighborhood watch days are over, no matter the trial results.

He has had problems with the law before .... he's not exactly a shining example of righteous armed self-defense that the NRA would like to use in their magazine examples.
I say that independently of whether or not he is criminally liable for the Martin shooting.......

This, too.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

Do you blame him? 
Guilty or not, he's screwed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »
Do you blame him? 
Guilty or not, he's screwed.

Excellent point, the stashing of the cash/extra passport made me suspicious but-now that you mention it - it does seem as if they are out to get him by any means possible.

My friend tells me this is why the Punisher is cooler then the caped crusader-none of this pc nonsense - just eliminate the bad guy the Batman always lets them go to commit more crime! down with batman!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
My friend tells me this is why the Punisher is cooler then the caped crusader-none of this pc nonsense - just eliminate the bad guy the Batman always lets them go to commit more crime! down with batman!

I always preferred Charles Bronson in that kind of role. ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled arguing.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #274 on: June 03, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
If he is aquitted, you know this administration will bring civil rights charges.  Literally the day of the aquittal I'd be on a plane or boat out of the country.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”